Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Garage floor - epoxy or tile?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Steve~74
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I plan on doing Racedeck when it finally warms up around here and can get some of the seasonal stuff out of the garage for good.

Hint: If you plan on using Racedeck, mention that you are a CF Member for additional savings.

Steve
Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 AM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill W
How about a belt sander with a carbide belt?
I'm not sure anyone makes a carbide belt- but they do make
Zerconia belts which is pretty hard. I sell abrasives and can get a sample from one of our suppliers. Thanks for the suggestion, it might work.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Bill W
Sorry, Dave. Just trying to help. Overall I like the racedeck. One other nice thing about it is, that if you ever decide to move, you can take it with you. Also, find someone who has it down and walk on it. You get a little bit of a hollow sound. That bothers some folks, but not me.
You can alleviate this problem with Racedeck by adding a thin layer of foam on the floor before laying the tile. Great stuff and looks great when it's clean, but it can be challenging to keep it clean.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Elite Engineering
You can alleviate this problem with Racedeck by adding a thin layer of foam on the floor before laying the tile. Great stuff and looks great when it's clean, but it can be challenging to keep it clean.
Adding foam sounds like it may be an invitation for absorbing moisture / water and allowing mold to grow.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
Hi Dave, there is a flooring co. in Lakewood (near you, Jackson) that sells a real nice PVC tile(1/4 thick) that lock into each other, use a rubber mallet to install. It comes in all different solid colors so you can custom design if you wish. It comes in coin top, diamond plate, and a textured finish. Let me know if you want the info and I will pull it for you.
Rick....I did check their website (...locktile-usa.com). According to the listed specs, tiles are 1/4" think while RaceDeck is stated to be 1/2". That's probably why they (RD) are more expensive & I suspect are also stronger. As of now, RD seems to be best choice.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
bullmarket
POSSE SENIOR RIDER
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Definately go with the 1/2".
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
Rick....I did check their website (...locktile-usa.com). According to the listed specs, tiles are 1/4" think while RaceDeck is stated to be 1/2". That's probably why they (RD) are more expensive & I suspect are also stronger. As of now, RD seems to be best choice.
It is a different product than RD, it will make no noise and has a tight seem that liquid will not get through. The best way I can descibe it is that RD is like a platic tile while the Locktile is a flexible pvc tile. I would recomend getting a sample of both then make a decision. Locktile is used in wharehouses with forklifts running on it all day, I wouldn't make a strenght judgment based on thickness (I myself have made it before) Good Luck on your project, it will sweet on whatever you decide
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done anything on my garage floor, but when I do I'll probably go with rolled rubber. It's available in many styles and colors and is cheap per SF compared to these other products.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

garagejournal.com has tons of info on this. I went with epoxy from epoxy coat, and had terrible results the first time (yellowing), and steller results the second. Learned alot, and its tough as nails!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 AM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nch209
garagejournal.com has tons of info on this. I went with epoxy from epoxy coat, and had terrible results the first time (yellowing), and steller results the second. Learned alot, and its tough as nails!
Why did it yellow?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Did I mention U Coat IT SUCKS?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
Adding foam sounds like it may be an invitation for absorbing moisture / water and allowing mold to grow.
Closed cell foam won't absorb water.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
It is a different product than RD, it will make no noise and has a tight seem that liquid will not get through. The best way I can descibe it is that RD is like a platic tile while the Locktile is a flexible pvc tile. I would recomend getting a sample of both then make a decision. Locktile is used in wharehouses with forklifts running on it all day, I wouldn't make a strenght judgment based on thickness (I myself have made it before) Good Luck on your project, it will sweet on whatever you decide
Jeez...I'm really confusing myself. Was leaning towards Locktile, but then saw an installation that had been in place for a couple of years & was disappointed that the tiles had lost their surface sheen. Looked like old rubber tiles. And I tend to agree with the comments about water, dirt or whatever working down thru the connections in the RD tiles. l may be back to epoxy. Anyone know of a good contractor in the Monmouth/Ocean County area (NJ)?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran

check out this guy from my first post http://www.garagefloorcoating.com/

Jeez...I'm really confusing myself. Was leaning towards Locktile, but then saw an installation that had been in place for a couple of years & was disappointed that the tiles had lost their surface sheen. Looked like old rubber tiles. And I tend to agree with the comments about water, dirt or whatever working down thru the connections in the RD tiles. l may be back to epoxy. Anyone know of a good contractor in the Monmouth/Ocean County area (NJ)?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:28 PM
65 & 04 Z06
Instructor

Default Garage Floor

I bought the floor system Epoxy from U-Coat It. Its been almost 4 years and floor still looks great. Parked vehicle all winter with snow etc and it washes very easily with water.

Bought it at their booth while at Carlisle Show

JP
Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

I used Rustoleum paint and clear, looked great for four years but its starting to crack in spots, I've got chips from where my jackstands go.

Surface prep is key, I cleaned and acid washed for a day before painting and let it cure for 2 weeks before putting a car on it. If you don't let it cure the paint will come up.

If you just park I would recommend the epoxy, looks nice

If you do work in your garage I would recommend tiles, more durable and replaceable if damaged
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Finsandchrome
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have had race deck for 5 years now and I don't like it at all for many reasons. It is next to impossible to clean. The only success I have cleaning it is on my hands and knees. So it is always dirty, many tire and exhaust marks won't come out. I use my garage as such, I have old muscle cars and daily drivers in there, so they leak fuids on the floor. The only way this stuff looks good is for the person who only drives their car on a nice day, and treats their garage as if it were a living room. Otherwise I would find a different option. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Garage floor - epoxy or tile?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Finsandchrome
I have had race deck for 5 years now and I don't like it at all for many reasons. It is next to impossible to clean. The only success I have cleaning it is on my hands and knees. So it is always dirty, many tire and exhaust marks won't come out. I use my garage as such, I have old muscle cars and daily drivers in there, so they leak fuids on the floor. The only way this stuff looks good is for the person who only drives their car on a nice day, and treats their garage as if it were a living room. Otherwise I would find a different option. Good luck!
Thanks.....this is exactly what's concerning me about RD....
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
check out this guy from my first post http://www.garagefloorcoating.com/
Did you actually have work done by them. Appears to be a franchise with two NJ locations listed....Marlboro & Bellmahr. If you did use them, which location?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Did you actually have work done by them. Appears to be a franchise with two NJ locations listed....Marlboro & Bellmahr. If you did use them, which location?
I saw the product at the home show last month, i thought it was one of the better coatings i have seen. They have textures as well and it think that is good for people in the NE who use their garages all year round and will get water and melting snow.

I still have the brochure from the show, the guy is Kevin Kowaleski, 732-577-1026 I think he is in Marlboro.

The estimates are free, so it will just cost you some time to take a look at it.

When i get the funds to do my garage i am seriously considering it, or i may go with the allure flooring from home depot.

Quick Reply: Garage floor - epoxy or tile?