Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

U Coat it problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Default U Coat it problems

Last week I applied the U Coat It product on my new garage floor. I meticulously followed their instructions. Being the floor is only about 3 months old there were no stains or oil or whatever. I scrubbed all the dirt off and did the acid wash, all very carefully as I wanted a good finish. I also followed their instructions to apply the finish. I called them to ask how long to wait until parking on it, they said 24 hours. I even waited 48 hours.

Here's the problem: I noticed the finish lifting where 2 of my tires sit. Also the coverage looks a little spotty in places like it needs another coating. I called their customer service and they said they would send a patch kit out for the lifted spots. When I asked what would they do about the spotty finish they said they will log the complaint and "MAYBE" I'd get a call. They claimed that the product may look like that as concrete is pourous. I told him to mark the complaint so that I WOULD get a call. Tomorrow I am calling to verify they sent the patch kit and to follow up on the finish complaint. I plan to ask to talk to someone higher up than the person I spoke to the other day. When I call tomorrow I am probably taking a position that I want enough product to do another coat or I want my $$ back.

Wondering if anyone else who has used this product if they had any of these problems and or if anyone has any experience with their customer service.

Any opinions or thoughts?
I just called and spoke with the same guy I did the other day, Ron. He is sending out a patch kit for the area the lifted. When I inquired about the coverage complaint he was very standoffish. Says he has forwarded my complaint to his boss and maybe I'll get a call. Also told me they have never had my complaint and some people just can't be pleased. I asked for his boss's name and he said that is irrealevant. Told him his boss has 2 days to call me back. I give the boss a chance to call me before I take the next step. So far the customer service is great until you have a complaint then it seems they do not want to hear about it. We'll see!
Old 04-26-2002, 01:31 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: U Coat it problems (Rex Ruby)

I've heard that complaint before about lifting where the tires rest, because of the heat. Didn't we talk about resting the tires on a piece of carpet or rubber mat to keep the heat down?
Old 04-26-2002, 02:44 PM
Jim D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: U Coat it problems (VetBoyZR1)

I had the exact same problem with the UCoat, I also spoke to Ron , I think he's one of the owners, although he won't say. The patch kit worked out ok, but after 2 years I'm getting spots where the finish is wearing,and I put the gloss finish on. The gloss is a little too slippery. I also use a parking mat so the finish won't lift. If I had to do it all over again I would get the floor coating kit from Home Depot or Griots garage. UCoat is too expensive,and thier customer service sucks good luck Jim.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Default Re: U Coat it problems (Jim D)

Glad for this post. I was just about to purchase the u coat it system. Don't think I will now. Customer service is everything. If theirs is the way you say, I won't do business with them. I will send them an e-mail to that effect if they have an address.

Kevin
Old 04-26-2002, 09:02 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Default Re: U Coat it problems (Crusher137)

Glad for this post. I was just about to purchase the u coat it system. Don't think I will now. Customer service is everything. If theirs is the way you say, I won't do business with them. I will send them an e-mail to that effect if they have an address.

Kevin
I wouldn't give then the thumbs down yet, lets see how this turns out, I'll keep you posted :cheers:
Old 04-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I did send them e-mail about the post and am anxious to see if they reply. Customer service is everything to me. I won't do business with a company that forgets about you once they have sold you the product. I'll be watching for the outcome.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:34 AM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2 cents here:

I've had excellent results with ucoatit. No lifting, rock hard gloss, hard to scratch....good stuff. Sorry to hear about the customer service problems, but I guess, from their standpoint, there's no way to verify "blame" for any lifting and are cautious to go down that road. OTOH, they don't need to get on the bad side of this forum (or anybody else) so they should at least work with you on getting results. You might hint of your forum connection if they continue to give you the runaround.

A tip for newly coated floors: Before I pulled my car in for the first time, 24 hours after applying Ucoatit, I sprayed just a little 'dry silcone spray' where the tires would go. This prevents any bonding with the fresh paint until it realy has a chance to cure. I believe talcum powder or any dusty dirt would accomplish the same thing.

Good luck on getting some help from Ucoatit. Ask if you should scuff/sand up the area to be patched, or if you should even sand down to concrete.

[Modified by tracy, 8:37 AM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Default Re: U Coat it problems (tracy)

My 2 cents here:

I've had excellent results with ucoatit. No lifting, rock hard gloss, hard to scratch....good stuff.
That's what my research indicated and why I bought it.
Sorry to hear about the customer service problems, but I guess, from their standpoint, there's no way to verify "blame" for any lifting and are cautious to go down that road. OTOH, they don't need to get on the bad side of this forum (or anybody else) so they should at least work with you on getting results. You might hint of your forum connection if they continue to give you the runaround.
Seems like that is the card they play "must have been something on the concrete" I will use the Forum, there are about 5-7 potential sales I can kill for them or should I say they can kill for themself!
A tip for newly coated floors: Before I pulled my car in for the first time, 24 hours after applying Ucoatit, I sprayed just a little 'dry silcone spray' where the tires would go. This prevents any bonding with the fresh paint until it realy has a chance to cure. I believe talcum powder or any dusty dirt would accomplish the same thing.
That is probably what happened to me, they should make it part of their instructions.

Good luck on getting some help from Ucoatit. Ask if you should scuff/sand up the area to be patched, or if you should even sand down to concrete.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:50 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

More thoughts-- PAM cooking spray would work perfectly for the tire patch area. Once the paint has cured, the PAM wouldn't hurt a thing.

As far as using the stuff sold in Home Depot and the like....I have NEVER seen that stuff work. Any paint that is alykd based, including the so-called one-step epoxies, are going to have an affinity to tire rubber. The whole idea behind Ucoatit is that it is a WATER-BASED epoxy (sounds odd, huh?) and thus has no chemical affinity to tires, unlike the petroleum-based products. Repeat "chemical affinity!!" The lifting you might get with Ucoatit would be a "mechanical" grip, similar to masking tape on a Formica countertop. Thus, the PAM trick should solve that problem until the 'newness' of the paint is worn off just a bit and that mechanical grip is reduced.

Truth is, now that I think about it, is that I had some tiny pinpoint flecks of tire lift the first night I pulled the car in. Very minor, hardly noticeable. I had hot, wet tires....the WORST possible test for virgin paint. But that's what got me to shoot a little dry silicon spray on those lift marks. No more problems. And now that the whole surface has gotten dirty, been washed with soap, walked on and generally used, I have no trouble when the tires are parked in other areas of the garage. I don't go around PAMing my floor every time I move the car(s). :crazy:

[Modified by tracy, 11:53 AM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: U Coat it problems (tracy)

Just to let you know, I sent them an e-mail on the 26th and no reply yet. Here is what I sent them....

I seen your product at Corvette Carlisle and was impressed by what I had seen. I was about to order your product when I viewed a post on the Corvette Forum. A recent customer had a problem with the U Coat It system and got poor service from you. He was told that someone might call him back about his problem. MIGHT call him back! What kinda service is that. Once you buy it, your on your own???? Sounds like a used car salesman, all kinds of help in buying it and after the sale they don't want to know anything. I believe I'll be trying another system.

Here is a link to the post if you care to read it. U-Coat_It Post of Corvette Forum

Kevin Low
Old 04-29-2002, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Cruise-In II Veteran

I have the same problem with lifting and staining--the VERY PROBLEMS they claim their product is immune to compared to their competitors. I following the instructions exactly and did this to my new garage before any car tire ever touched the concrete. I waited 4 days for the coats to dry and I put on the AF-Gloss coat. All I have now are stains that don't come up and lifting where my vette rear tires sit (realize that I don't drive the vette much so this is a lot of "wear" on the floor coating for very little activity).

I spoke to the Vice President of Sales at Carlisle and via telephone three times and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. U-Coat it sucks big time and I'd love for them to try and dispute their **** poor customer service and their poor product. I for one plan to make a HUGE scene at this year's Carlisle event in front of their booth (I CAN'T WAIT!!!).

JB
Old 04-29-2002, 05:37 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Default Re: U Coat it problems (007)

Here's some Forum members who were pleased with the product. This was 99.9% of the feedback I got when I researched what coating to use:
I did mine in the fall last year, 3-car garage......it came out nearly perfect
I've had excellent results with ucoatit.
PLUS I know of others who were just as pleased.

As a result of my posts here are some sales they stand to lose and who knows how many other sales that didn't post anything:
I'm waiting to see what hapens here. I'm thinking of using the same product on my floor
I WAS
I too was wanting to do something with my garage floor. Let us know what happens.
AND THIS:
I have the same problem with lifting and staining--the VERY PROBLEMS they claim their product is immune to compared to their competitors. I following the instructions exactly and did this to my new garage before any car tire ever touched the concrete. I waited 4 days for the coats to dry and I put on the AF-Gloss coat. All I have now are stains that don't come up and lifting where my vette rear tires sit (realize that I don't drive the vette much so this is a lot of "wear" on the floor coating for very little activity).

I spoke to the Vice President of Sales at Carlisle and via telephone three times and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. U-Coat it sucks big time and I'd love for them to try and dispute their **** poor customer service and their poor product. I for one plan to make a HUGE scene at this year's Carlisle event in front of their booth (I CAN'T WAIT!!!).

JB
Seems that they have maybe 95% customer satisfaction but they just don't give a darn about the 5% of dissatisfied customers? Well, no one from UCoatit called me today, going to call them first thing tomorrow AM and see if the customer service has improved. Keep you all posted.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:45 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

I'm real sorry that you guys have had problems with Ucoatit. I've been recommending them bigtime to my friends and neighbors based upon my extra super-duper excellent results. I have a "garagemahal", and thus EVERYBODY asks about the glistening light-gray floor. :yesnod:

Maybe I won't be so forthcoming with free advertising for these guys until I hear about some customer service. Funny....I had no trouble getting them on the phone when I was in the buying mode.

[Modified by tracy, 4:47 PM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 11:21 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

ugggggggggh :mad :rolleyes:
Old 04-30-2002, 07:46 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

I called UCoatit today and talked w/ Jerry, one of the principals. We discussed the lifting and the coverage. He is sending me a patch kit for the areas that lifted. After much discussion about the coverage he agreed to send me enough material to do a third coat to solve my coverage complaint. However, it will cost me 1/2 and he will pay the shipping. I feel that is fair as I will get a benefit of an even better final finish on the whole floor. OK So now I am on the satisfied customer list.

I told him about some of the posts here with complaints and he was genuinely concerned, if you have a complaint I highly recommend you call Jerry at 800-826-2848
Old 04-30-2002, 07:56 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I still think thats BS.... why should you have to pay half???? It didnt cover what they said it was going to cover and what it did cover lifted!!!!!!!!

How can giving them more money for a product that dosent work as advertised be a good resolution for anyone but them????

:bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs
Old 05-01-2002, 01:30 AM
Admiral Fairway
Burning Brakes

Default Re: U Coat it problems (Mike69)

John, let me know how it finally turns out, interested so when I get my garage done I'll know weather to spend the money to do mine or not.

Get notified of new replies

To U Coat it problems

Old 05-01-2002, 10:13 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: U Coat it problems (cnl3rd)

I agree they should cover the cost, atleast they did agree to work with you. That is more than alot of companies/vendors are willing to do. Not mentioning any names (cle@rtastic). :lol: Maybe you should have went with the burbor rugs. :cheers:
Old 05-01-2002, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: U Coat it problems (agentf1)

Interesting,

I believe Jerry is the person I spoke with in person at Carlyle and on the phone twice after that event. Each and every time he took my informatin, expressed "concern" and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it. He owes me several phones calls back, he promised a U-CoatIt rep would stop by my home to look at the problem. In my situation, I had brand new concrete which had never been driven on to muck up the floor prior to the application. Everything looks fine but the stains and lifting that they "guarantee" in their paperwork/brochure is just plain false. Their guarantee is worthless since they don't do anything about it when you have a problem--what kind of guarantee is that?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:49 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Default Same U-Coat-It Problem

I have done a total of three garage floors with U-Coat-It and never had a problem until the last job. I too followed directions to the letter including purchasing their prep kit. The floor was in my new two car detached garage built specifically for my two classic cars. I took this job one step further and purchased the high gloss finish coat thinking this would be the perfect garage look I had always wanted. After the application of the high gloss, the directions stated to wait one week before placing a vehicle on the new surface. I waited two weeks. My two classics were temporarily parked in another garage and due to an approaching storm, I elected to park my daily driver and my wife's car in the new garage overnight. The next day, my beautiful floor paint had pulled up directly below the tire footprints of my car (Ford Edge with Pirelli tires). No damage was observed under the wife's tires (Buick with Continental tires). My first thought was there must be some type of chemical reaction going on with the composition of the tires on the Ford. I'm expecting a call back from U-Coat-It tomorrow.

Quick Reply: U Coat it problems