Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

New Mass Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 AM
nodima
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Mass Inspections

Hi,

I just ran into an issue trying to get a sticker for my F350 which previously had been inspected as a normal passenger vehicle, but with the new laws in place since October, now requires a DOT commercial inspection due to being over 10,001 lbs GVW.

In researching the law to determine what I need for that inspection, several articles note that with the new system, cameras etc., around the inspection that they are specifically looking for modifications to intake and exhaust. Now I'm concerned about next summers inspection of my 2000, since it has an aftermarket exhaust and a CAI. As far as I know, the car has no equipment removed with either modification, but it is not stock.

Has anyone had their Corvette inspected since October 2 of this year? And if so, did you have any issues if you had modifications such as CAI or exhaust?

I'll save my feelings about this new law for some other time and place...
Old 12-20-2017, 10:47 AM
jmbbluevette
2010 SC GS Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'17,'18,'19

Inspected after October 2nd. No issues whatsoever.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Fitron
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my GS inspected last month. The inspector told me that he only fails cars that have an obvious open, loud exhaust. Otherwise he doesn't care about modifications, as he has a few hotrods himself!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:34 AM
pastorbrad
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

[Note to self] Switch from Sport back to Tour before pulling into inspection bay.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:21 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,225 Likes on 538 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

regarding your F350, are you sure that's new? A friend has an '11 F350 and is over the 10k pounds too and 2 years ago when he bought it, with passenger plates, he had to go to several shops before he found one that was familiar with the rules. He was able to get his sticker (now 2 years) without commercial plates. Not all stations are aware of how that works.

As for the mods to the Vette, I hope not. I too have an aftermarket CAI and exhaust but at idle, you'd never know (Corsa Extreme's). I guess I'll find out in August when I need a new sticker.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:43 PM
jmbbluevette
2010 SC GS Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'17,'18,'19

Originally Posted by BAT
regarding your F350, are you sure that's new? A friend has an '11 F350 and is over the 10k pounds too and 2 years ago when he bought it, with passenger plates, he had to go to several shops before he found one that was familiar with the rules. He was able to get his sticker (now 2 years) without commercial plates. Not all stations are aware of how that works.

As for the mods to the Vette, I hope not. I too have an aftermarket CAI and exhaust but at idle, you'd never know (Corsa Extreme's). I guess I'll find out in August when I need a new sticker.
Should not be a problem. Mine was okay with Corsa Extreme's, headers, big cam, etc. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:09 AM
nodima
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT

It is not new, per se. It is probably now more in focus. My truck is a 14, and up to now, have just done the regular inspections, both at the dealership and at a local garage. From a quick chat with the local dealership, it is not a problem to get the sticker, but some of the req's are slightly different, and it costs more $.

My Vette is not due until July, so keeping fingers crossed. So far, it sounds like it will be ok.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Ken_C8
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 410 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '21

I know tinting is going to be strictly enforced. My usual inspection guy generally turns a blind eye but indicated that he won't be able to later in the year (2018).
Old 01-16-2018, 08:24 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

We have 4 vehicles, and one (Toyota Camry) had to be inspected last October. At that time, they did not have the cameras set up, but I understand they are in place by January in all stations. Everything the inspector does will be recorded. There is a hefty fine for the station if the inspector ignores a rejectable issue. I haven't talked to anyone who has had an inspection with the cameras in place so am not sure how that is going to be.

I am going to have the Z06 inspected at a Chevy dealership as I didn't like how the inspector jacked up the Camry to check the wheels and bearings.

Elaine

Last edited by GS Diva; 01-16-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM
pastorbrad
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by GS Diva
We have 4 vehicles, and one (Toyota Camry) had to be inspected last October. At that time, they did not have the cameras set up, but I understand they are in place by January in all stations. Everything the inspector does will be recorded. There is a hefty fine for the station if the inspector ignores a rejectable issue. I haven't talked to anyone who has had an inspection with the cameras in place so am not sure how that is going to be.

I am going to have the Z06 inspected at a Chevy dealership as I didn't like how the inspector jacked up the Camry to check the wheels and bearings.

Elaine
Agreed - it's the only trip I'll make to a dealer with the Vette!

Get notified of new replies

To New Mass Inspections

Quick Reply: New Mass Inspections