Northern California Northern California

Skyline Blvd

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Reep
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Skyline Blvd

I will be picking up my new Corvette this summer and breaking it in on the drive from Redwood City to Southern California. I will be taking the PCH for the most part, but had thought about starting out by taking Skyline Blvd down to Santa Cruz. An alternate route would be to cut over to Half Moon Bay and take the coast to Santa Cruz. Any thoughts? Skyline looks very nice, but I've never been on it.

Is it a reasonable road to drive under breakin conditions? (<3k rpm; <55 mph)

Any other suggested routes?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:55 PM
max'svette
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Yea that drive will be fine. Take skyline to HWY1 and cruise down that way. I would just go through HWY 5 instead of 1 all the way to so-cal though. That would be like a 15 hour trip instead of 4.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Reep
Racer

Originally Posted by max'svette
Yea that drive will be fine. Take skyline to HWY1 and cruise down that way. I would just go through HWY 5 instead of 1 all the way to so-cal though. That would be like a 15 hour trip instead of 4.
Time isn't a concern on this trip. I'm guessing it will take a solid day (8-9 hours), but I'm driving it with my Dad who is flying down just for the occaision. Taking the PCH will also help me stay under 55 mph. Doing 55 all the way down I-5 would be torture, especially in July/August.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
E_Tar
Le Mans Master

I agree Hwy 5 is nice...
Plus is large enough for a little speed. (get a laser detector though)
Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Reep
Racer

Originally Posted by E_Tar
I agree Hwy 5 is nice...
Plus is large enough for a little speed. (get a laser detector though)
Are you guys talking about I-5? Nice? I've driven this a few times and I can't think of too much that is nice about it, except the higher speed limit--which I am supposed to be well under for the break-in period.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
E_Tar
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Reep
Are you guys talking about I-5? Nice? I've driven this a few times and I can't think of too much that is nice about it, except the higher speed limit--which I am supposed to be well under for the break-in period.
You're right..
during break in, speeding is not a good thing..

All the same I would minimize the number of highways and off and on ramps I figure into my drive, because of all the crazies on the roads, cutting and making exits at the last possible moment.. not to mention the trucker behemoths that can't see you when they change lanes because you're too low.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Reep
Racer

I didn't specify this above, but after Santa Cruz I'm planning on going down the PCH the rest of the way. Not too many on or off ramps or large trucks on that route.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

So I'm guessing you'll drive up from Redwood City on Hwy 84 to Skyline 35, then go left (south). That's a lot of winding road driving. And then you'd need to turn right off of Skyline onto Hwy 9 which goes through some small towns to get to Santa Cruz. It could take close to two hours.

I have another suggestion. From Redwood City, go North on Hwy 101 to Hwy 92 west that heads toward Half Moon Bay. Then take Hwy 1 south toward Santa Cruz. It's a very nice drive right along the Pacific Ocean. Much easier drive without so many twisty roads.
Either way sounds like you'll have lots of smiles and miles to enjoy your new Vette.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Rockdog
Racer

Skyline is great, used to ride my Yamaha RD400 on it. I have not been on it in a long time though. Alot of motorcyles cruised it back in the day.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 PM
baddbilt1
Racer

If you want to test your vette take HWY 92 to skyline and go HWy 84 @ Alices cafe to HWY 1.From Alices to HWY 1 is a very fun road !
Enjoy your new ride
Old 05-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Miguels
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up car in SoCal...took 5 all the way up....took it to 120 with 140 miles.....never looked back.

What are break in periods....
Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Reep
Racer

Originally Posted by ZR-71
So I'm guessing you'll drive up from Redwood City on Hwy 84 to Skyline 35, then go left (south). That's a lot of winding road driving. And then you'd need to turn right off of Skyline onto Hwy 9 which goes through some small towns to get to Santa Cruz. It could take close to two hours.

I have another suggestion. From Redwood City, go North on Hwy 101 to Hwy 92 west that heads toward Half Moon Bay. Then take Hwy 1 south toward Santa Cruz. It's a very nice drive right along the Pacific Ocean. Much easier drive without so many twisty roads.
Either way sounds like you'll have lots of smiles and miles to enjoy your new Vette.
Those are the two routes I've been considering. If Skyline is 40-45 mph with gentle twisties then it sounds like fun. But, if it is 20-30 with twisties, then maybe that would take too long. Which is more like Skyline--20s or 40s?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:54 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15

Those are the two routes I've been considering. If Skyline is 40-45 mph with gentle twisties then it sounds like fun. But, if it is 20-30 with twisties, then maybe that would take too long. Which is more like Skyline--20s or 40s?
Most of Skyline is 40-45 safely. Just a few areas where you might need to slow up a bit, but not into the 20's.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Congrats !!

PCH Hwy1 will be just great!! You''l have to go easy and lots of turns, so your brakes will get set fairly quickly. Lot's of places to stop just for the view. Bring your camera. Just enjoy that great car.

Enjoy..and be safe.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 PM
LarryW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI, there is a section of Skyline Blvd/Highway 35 (between Castlerock State Park and Highway 17) as you're heading toward Los Gatos that gets very, VERY narrow in spots

Narrow as in one lane (for both directions) and very few areas to pull off the road safely (should you need to); i.e. soft shoulders and no shoulders in some areas...be careful if you decide to venture along this section

(I did it once last year, I won't do it again...maybe on a motorcyle )

Larry
Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Reep
Racer

Originally Posted by LarryW
Just an FYI, there is a section of Skyline Blvd/Highway 35 (between Castlerock State Park and Highway 17) as you're heading toward Los Gatos that gets very, VERY narrow in spots

Narrow as in one lane (for both directions) and very few areas to pull off the road safely (should you need to); i.e. soft shoulders and no shoulders in some areas...be careful if you decide to venture along this section

(I did it once last year, I won't do it again...maybe on a motorcyle )

Larry
Thank you. This is what I'm trying to avoid. Maybe I'll come down route 9 at that point. It looks like a better road on the map.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:05 PM
baddbilt1
Racer

If you take skyline to 84 you will be able to do 40-50 most the time.The road has some great curves and the corvette is the perfect car for them.And its around 45-60 minutes of road untill you hit HWY 1

Get notified of new replies

To Skyline Blvd

Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15

Thank you. This is what I'm trying to avoid. Maybe I'll come down route 9 at that point. It looks like a better road on the map.
Yes Hwy 9 is the way to go. There are a few sharp curves on it but mostly pretty easy cruising.
Actually, since I live in the area you'll be passing through on Hwy 9, if you want I'll meet up with you at Skyline and Hwy 9 and we can crusie on into Santa Cruz. I'm usually available anytime. Let me know.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 AM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich - you can't go wrong with either 84 or 9 to the coast. If you'd like to experience some more great, twisty, lightly travelled roads, might I highly recommend this little detour: Take either 92>Skyline>84 or 280 directly to Woodside Road/Hwy 84. 84 is simply awesome - continue west on 84 towards the coast but hang a Left onto PESCADERO ROAD. It's maybe 6-8 miles down 84 from Skyline. Enjoy the curvy, wooded, shady and quite frankly Awesome climb and descent on Pescadero and hang a Right at the stop sign onto STAGE ROAD. You are now in the quaint, little town of Pescadero and you can hit the little market, the deli, buy an antique, whatever. Oh, I'm told by someone in the know: the mexican restaurant right at the corner of Stage/Pescadero serves very excellent food.

Then continue on Stage Road and you'll enjoy another great, lower speed, windy ascent/descent before you again intersect with Hwy 84. You will be staring at the Stage Road Store, another cool little place, complete with a live band (on weekends) and a full bar!! Then continue on Stage a short ways til you hit Hwy 1 or just hang a left on 84 to Hwy 1. We did a very similar cruise up there not long ago, so many others on here can vouch for it's badassedness. : )

I just did it again on Saturday, but that time I was pedaling my bicycle.

If you like curves the way I/we do - you'll be in pig heaven.

Enjoy,
~Phil
Old 05-14-2007, 03:48 AM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

this is how I go to LA

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway25.htm

Quick Reply: Skyline Blvd