Northern California Northern California

Did You See These Griggs Mustangs Boasting on Beating Up Z06's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Did You See These Griggs Mustangs Boasting on Beating Up Z06's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LuIM...layer_embedded

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...us-was-it.html

This just reenforces my belief that you should never back off even on a cooldown lap, otherwise you might end up on the receiving end of an internet video.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:07 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Sidney004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LuIM...layer_embedded

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...us-was-it.html

This just reenforces my belief that you should never back off even on a cooldown lap, otherwise you might end up on the receiving end of an internet video.
I remember beating up on some Griggs Crust-angs at Sears a few years back in my C5Z. It was not even fair how bad they got their *** handed to them.

Looking at the vid, the laps are in the 2:10 range, which is very easy to obtain in a pretty stock C5Z and especially C6Z06.

Last edited by RichieRichZ06; 02-09-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Video pretty much proves nothing. How experienced were both drivers? Was the Corvette driver on good tires, brakes, etc. Unless it's a race so you know both drivers are trying, this doesn't prove much. We saw Bob Bodurant pass a bunch of Porsche's years ago at a Porsche club day at Sears Point, and he was in a van. Just proved he was a top driver on a course he knew, not that the van was faster than the Porsches.

Larry
Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 272 Likes on 206 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Alright... I feel I can make a pretty fair statement about BOTH vehicles and the capability of the Griggs Mustangs because we work on Corvettes and Mustangs.

#1-There is NO way a bone stock HP'd 05+ Mustang GT (260RWHP) with a Griggs Suspension will beat a C6 Z06 around a track "IF" both drivers are EQUAL or similar. The Z06 is really an amazing vehicle and with a few Bolt on suspension parts REALLY starts to shine.

#2-The Griggs suspension is a amazing setup and is the best available for the Mustang. When coupled with a good driver and good power the car is pretty amazing... BUT the Griggs suspension is really a Race suspension. The Griggs suspensions replaces EVERYTHING out of a stock Mustang and even uses SLA (Short/ Long Arms) in the front. Some of the designs used in the Griggs suspensions are similar to what they use in ALMS cars.

Both cars are great BUT the Griggs car is a OPEN TRACK PREPPED CAR where as the Z06 in the Video was probably a showroom stock suspension car driven by someone not as experienced as the Griggs driver.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having done under 2:10's in my stock LS1 C5 on 220 wear rate street tires I'm not sure
why anyone would brag about the performance of that car. And the driver line in 4, 10
and 14 was usually off anyway. At that pace it looked like the driver had his hands full.
With track tires and race suspension and set up the NCRC GT2 Mustangs are going 4 to
5 seconds faster at least. And in NASA TT it would be pretty close to last in TTB. At
one point the track record at TH in TTC was 2:03.
Randy
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Hey, a pass is a pass and when you're sucky-n-slo, you have to take what the Track God offers you.

Watch two Porsches and two vettes kindly enhancing my self-esteem:

Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep, the Griggs driver was faster than the vette driver. Nothing to do with suspensions whatsoever imo. Although I'm sure it is a great suspension for mustangs. He has another vid titled Griggs mustang vs. C5Z with 450 hp in what looks like a beginner or intermediate run group at T-hill running about 2:20 laps .
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Having raced mustangs quite a bit in the past, and most on griggs suspensions I can tell you that a mustang can be made to work very well. I can also tell you that the first time I ran t-hill in that same configuration with my bone stock motor '99 C5 and some suspension, hoosier R6, and a passenger to help me tip the scales at over 3600lbs I was running right about the 2 minute mark.
The mustang was not fast, and the Z06, with all its hp, was even less impressive.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by flink
Hey, a pass is a pass and when you're sucky-n-slo, you have to take what the Track God offers you.

Watch two Porsches and two vettes kindly enhancing my self-esteem:

Originally Posted by trackboss
Having raced mustangs quite a bit in the past, and most on griggs suspensions I can tell you that a mustang can be made to work very well. I can also tell you that the first time I ran t-hill in that same configuration with my bone stock motor '99 C5 and some suspension, hoosier R6, and a passenger to help me tip the scales at over 3600lbs I was running right about the 2 minute mark.
The mustang was not fast, and the Z06, with all its hp, was even less impressive.
That must have been quite a ride for your passenger .
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

The line of the vette was not good, looked like he was cruising through some of the corners
Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the post over in road racing says, pure marketing. Actually, I don't see much difference between that and many of the video's I see on the CF. Without some context there is not a whole lot that can be learned about the capabilities of either car, although you can tell something about the drivers. The Z pilot is a super guy and a decent driver, and I seriously doubt he knew he was going to be in a commercial! Griggs did bring some serious muscle that day, including a couple of Corvettes if I remember correctly . . . this just wasn't one of those cars. Without a Griggs makeover, in my experience, OEM Mustangs . . . all of 'em, are just in the way on a road course.

FM

Get notified of new replies

To Did You See These Griggs Mustangs Boasting on Beating Up Z06's?

Quick Reply: Did You See These Griggs Mustangs Boasting on Beating Up Z06's?