Northern California Northern California

Shakedown pass in my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Nick@Newtech
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakedown pass in my Z06

I made one and only pass today at sac raceway, I had my FAST intake manifold split open due to loose bolts, apparently from reading on the forums its a common problem with the LS7Rs. So Mike, Rudy, check them bad boys every now and then!

I must have been losing quite a bit of boost due to the manifold opening up. Anyway I will be back out there in a few weeks hopefully with all my issues fixed, getting this thing in the 9s hopefully.

Oh yea I went 10.70@143 1.90 60' with the stupid manifold opening up.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 AM
jrblaw08Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick@Newtech
I made one and only pass today at sac raceway, I had my FAST intake manifold split open due to loose bolts, apparently from reading on the forums its a common problem with the LS7Rs. So Mike, Rudy, check them bad boys every now and then!

I must have been losing quite a bit of boost due to the manifold opening up. Anyway I will be back out there in a few weeks hopefully with all my issues fixed, getting this thing in the 9s hopefully.

Oh yea I went 10.70@143 1.90 60' with the stupid manifold opening up.
What tires Nick? What were your final numbers on the build?
Old 03-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Nick@Newtech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrblaw08Z06
What tires Nick? What were your final numbers on the build?
I was on some hoosier DRs 335/30/18s final numbers are in my sig, but the car was down on boost, so the numbers are not going to correlate. MPH should be in the 150s.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Nick it must of been disappointing for you. No real damage I hope. Still not to shabby although I know you want better. Good luck next time, must be fun.

Dave
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

For losing power and boost, the MPH is still sick. Can't wait to see a full pass. When will you be going back out again? I have some DR's I need to try as well.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like you're gonna need a parachute . We'll have to line our cars up one time for the fun of it when they are both up and running .
Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. That's definitely a sick MPH!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The 143 mph speed indicates that your ET's should be in the 9.60- to 9.70 ET range

Unless you have a NHRA certified chassis and a NHRA competiton drivers license in your possession, you are going to attract the attention of the tech people Paul Brandner and Launnie Porteous big time

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 03-22-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jim McCombe
The 143 mph speed indicates that your ET's should be in the 9.60- to 9.70 ET range

Unless you have a NHRA certified chassis and a NHRA competiton drivers license in your possession, you are going to attract the attention of the tech people Paul Brandner and Launnie Porteous big time
I think that is why he/we tend to go to Sac on the weekends. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less attention and more relaxed environment. Sears can't be beat in terms of track prep, timing, organization etc, but Sac is much more lax on the rules.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

HEY! I have a great idea, try to sneak it past NCCA when they run Vette Magic in June (submitted by the guy who helps run tech for NCCA)

Just so you Nor-Cal C6 boys are forewarned NO Drag tires on any LS3/LS7/LS9 C6 Vette without a NHRA roll cage for Vette magic.

Anyone with a 2010 with launch control ought to be able to get in trouble quick enough on their street tires alone.

I'll be LOOKING

11.49 and faster requires a roll cage!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Nick@Newtech
Burning Brakes

LOL, I guess I will get some funny looks when I trap 150+ on my chrome rims. Not a big deal for me, this isn't my fast car anyway.

FYI I pulled my FAST intake off the car today, and I found 6 bolts with missing nuts, one bolt missing, the rest were loose and the bolts that hold the runners in place were all loose as well, I guess thats what you get for buying one of the first without rechecking everything from the factory! Anyway I will loctite all the bolts with some hi temp red, and I might even port match the manifold to my heads, I am noticing it could use some massasging. Next will be the flip drive and I will be back out there, to get kicked out
Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick@Newtech
LOL, I guess I will get some funny looks when I trap 150+ on my chrome rims. Not a big deal for me, this isn't my fast car anyway.

FYI I pulled my FAST intake off the car today, and I found 6 bolts with missing nuts, one bolt missing, the rest were loose and the bolts that hold the runners in place were all loose as well, I guess thats what you get for buying one of the first without rechecking everything from the factory! Anyway I will loctite all the bolts with some hi temp red, and I might even port match the manifold to my heads, I am noticing it could use some massasging. Next will be the flip drive and I will be back out there, to get kicked out
I have a used first gen flip drive I dont that I am going to use that I might be willing to part with, PM me if your interested.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
HEY! I have a great idea, try to sneak it past NCCA when they run Vette Magic in June (submitted by the guy who helps run tech for NCCA)

Just so you Nor-Cal C6 boys are forewarned NO Drag tires on any LS3/LS7/LS9 C6 Vette without a NHRA roll cage for Vette magic.

Anyone with a 2010 with launch control ought to be able to get in trouble quick enough on their street tires alone.

I'll be LOOKING

Well, I think you just made your event about 20 cars less then it was planning to be.

FYI, I WILL be running DR's, but I will also be lifting to sneak past the 11.50 rule. If you tell me that I can not run DR's then I will not show up and nor will the other 15-20 cars that planned on coming with me.

With the way last years event went down, I would not recommend you guys start throwing out threats this early. After all the talk about safety, tech BS and track prep, you should do yourselves a favor and let anybody race that is willing to give you a second chance. Last year was by far the worst Vette Magic event in decades. There is A LOT af talk this year hoping that it will be different, so don't start off on the wrong foot this soon

Are you seriously considering not letting any C6 cars on DR's into VM without a cage based on the premis that it is capable of running under the 11.50?

Last edited by RichieRichZ06; 03-23-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a C5 guess I can still race without a cage.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
I have a C5 guess I can still race without a cage.
HAHA. Just another reason this sounds so incredibly rediculous.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Well, I think you just made your event about 20 cars less then it was planning to be.

FYI, I WILL be running DR's, but I will also be lifting to sneak past the 11.50 rule. If you tell me that I can not run DR's then I will not show up and nor will the other 15-20 cars that planned on coming with me.

With the way last years event went down, I would not recommend you guys start throwing out threats this early. After all the talk about safety, tech BS and track prep, you should do yourselves a favor and let anybody race that is willing to give you a second chance. Last year was by far the worst Vette Magic event in decades. There is A LOT af talk this year hoping that it will be different, so don't start off on the wrong foot this soon

Are you seriously considering not letting any C6 cars on DR's into VM without a cage based on the premis that it is capable of running under the 11.50?

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding going on about cars running faster than 11.50 seconds:

1 - Drag radials will be allowed;

2 - Any cars running faster than 11.50 will require a roll cage.

3 - While I am not aware of a rule that states cars running 11.50 or faster are required to run drag radials I have only seen one do so.

Below I've posted the rules which should clear up any confusion.

http://www.nccacorvettes.org/html/vette_magic.htm

P.S.

New cam, headers and -10% under-drive pulley will be in before VM along with the proper NHRA cage and I will not be letting off at the 1/8 mile.

Chuck Gerughty
Vette Magic Chair
Director of Motor Sports
NCCA
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding going on about cars running faster than 11.50 seconds:

1 - Drag radials will be allowed;

2 - Any cars running faster than 11.50 will require a roll cage.

3 - While I am not aware of a rule that states cars running 11.50 or faster are required to run drag radials I have only seen one do so.

Below I've posted the rules which should clear up any confusion.

http://www.nccacorvettes.org/html/vette_magic.htm

P.S.

New cam, headers and -10% under-drive pulley will be in before VM along with the proper NHRA cage and I will not be letting off at the 1/8 mile.

Chuck Gerughty
Vette Magic Chair
Director of Motor Sports
NCCA

Chuck, Thanks for clearing that up!

I would have been disappointed to be told I could not run my car with DR's. Not only would that be an assinine idea, but would greatly reduce the number of cars able to run there. It would also put a damper on the possibility of Abel sponsoring the event, which I am sure NCCA would not want to jeapordize due to one person running off at the mouth.

Looks like I'll be running ***** out until about 900 feet and then coasting through the traps. I'm thinking somewhere around an 11.51 @ 80 MPH will be my target.

Get notified of new replies

To Shakedown pass in my Z06

Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

I guess Solid's post is suggesting "if you're running radials and running well in a LS3/LS7/LS9, expect to be kicked out."
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I guess Solid's post is suggesting "if you're running radials and running well in a LS3/LS7/LS9, expect to be kicked out."
Not true. I'll be running well in my LS3 and I will not be kicked out nor will anyone else if they comply with NHRA guidelines. I just posted the rules and drag radials and fast cars are allowed. In fact Bracket 1 is for cars faster than 11.5 seconds. If you are faster than 11.50 you just have the proper NHRA rollcage and safety equipment.

P.S. If you have N02, please pull the bottle before you come to the track.

Chuck Gerughty
Chairman - Vette Magic
Director - Motorsports
NCCA
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1

I'll be LOOKING

So now that Chuck has clarified the rules you must be feeling pretty stupid right about now, huh?

Quick Reply: Shakedown pass in my Z06