Northern California Northern California

Buttonwillow June 5/6 with NCRC

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by flink
Geeze it were hot. I started out with 45+ heat-cycle v710's on the e36 and slid around for two sessions. Gave up and put on the new v710's. Picked up maybe 5 seconds with those but after 1.5 laps it was still like driving a wet fish. I don't think I got within three seconds of February's 2:06.x

v710's are really an autox tire. I wonder if other r-comps are better in the heat...
You still haven't tried R6's right? They did well in the heat for me. Other than that, slick scrubs are probably the way to go for summer track days if you can find them.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Just got back. BW is certainly a fun track, but the weather was not!

Thanks to both Dan and Bob for showing me around the track on Saturday, and another thanks to Dan for letting me share the garage to get out of the sun, even on Sunday when he couldn't make it. Remind me to buy you a drink next time

I only managed to time a few laps today using the onboard timer in the DIC, but I managed to clock off a ~ 2:11.80 this morning. I think with some refinements I can probably get it down another second or two.

I got black flagged the session after that (on only lap 2) for going off riverside (T7) when I gave one point by, but two cars passed me which I didn't expect. It was an easy off, but they were enforcing a "four wheels off, lose the session" rule.

In the afternoon, the temperatures were getting ridiculous. 98F ambient. I started to fade my brakes (Carbotech XP10/XP8) and my street tires (Kumho SPTs) were getting extremely greasy, so much so that on the last lap of the last session I lost grip going through the bus stop and spun out.

Good fun track though. Very fast. I'll try to get some videos up later.
Good to hear you enjoyed the track. The more I go there, the more I like it.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Geeze it were hot. I started out with 45+ heat-cycle v710's on the e36 and slid around for two sessions. Gave up and put on the new v710's. Picked up maybe 5 seconds with those but after 1.5 laps it was still like driving a wet fish. I don't think I got within three seconds of February's 2:06.x

v710's are really an autox tire. I wonder if other r-comps are better in the heat...
thats the crappy part with the V710s, they grease up super fast and your times start falling off. Try the Hoosier A6 if you want lots of grip and short life cycle. If you want good grip and longer life try the Hoosier R6

I personally hate the R6s though. They fall off considerably after every heat cycle, your braking points are drastically changed, they heat cycle out far faster then the tire actually wears, etc etc
Old 06-07-2010, 11:21 PM
luc
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back. BW is certainly a fun track, but the weather was not!

Thanks to both Dan and Bob for showing me around the track on Saturday, and another thanks to Dan for letting me share the garage to get out of the sun, even on Sunday when he couldn't make it. Remind me to buy you a drink next time

I only managed to time a few laps today using the onboard timer in the DIC, but I managed to clock off a ~ 2:11.80 this morning. I think with some refinements I can probably get it down another second or two.

I got black flagged the session after that (on only lap 2) for going off riverside (T7) when I gave one point by, but two cars passed me which I didn't expect. It was an easy off, but they were enforcing a "four wheels off, lose the session" rule.

In the afternoon, the temperatures were getting ridiculous. 98F ambient. I started to fade my brakes (Carbotech XP10/XP8) and my street tires (Kumho SPTs) were getting extremely greasy, so much so that on the last lap of the last session I lost grip going through the bus stop and spun out.

Good fun track though. Very fast. I'll try to get some videos up later.
I'm not sure why ( was not the track since I raced both days and it was fine) but on Saturday we had a very high number of drivers going off, spinning, etc, to the point that we decided to put in place a
"loose your session" rule on sunday for it.
Sunday was slightly better but we sill had way too many off, including a pretty bad one where a car rolled 6 or 7 times.
Both driver and passenger were OK ( very lucky) but the car was destroyed.

Luc NCRC
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it was the heat affecting the drivers. Heatstroke can really mess up your reaction times and judgement. I was a little light-headed getting out of the car after the last afternoon session.

I think I'm going to avoid Buttonwillow and Thunderhill through July and August to stay out of the heat. Laguna and Sears ought to be a few degrees cooler.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 06-07-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by luc
I'm not sure why ( was not the track since I raced both days and it was fine) but on Saturday we had a very high number of drivers going off, spinning, etc, to the point that we decided to put in place a
"loose your session" rule on sunday for it.
Sunday was slightly better but we sill had way too many off, including a pretty bad one where a car rolled 6 or 7 times.
Both driver and passenger were OK ( very lucky) but the car was destroyed.

Luc NCRC
I think I saw that car as I was leaving. Blue Mazda Protege. It was a complete mess for sure. Good to hear the occupants are ok.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
That stinks about your hub failure Dan. But on the bright side it's always nice to hear about track guys helping eachother out when needed. We have all been there (or will be) and it's nice to know that other guys will step up to help like that .

I've gone through 2 hubs so far and I'm going to replace them all with skf hubs and keep my stockers for spares. You can get them from HardbarUSA if you want.
Yes, all the guys were great.

I looked at the Hardbar set and they have the longer studs installed so I will go with the Pfadt's with the standard length studs as I have no need for spacers and don't want to go to open lugs just yet.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:07 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

My pleasure. Just a drink for a garage? No sir, it's going to cost you that and at least another ride-along in your car.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Here's a lap I did. Timer on the DIC read 2:11.80. I think I've still got at least a couple seconds left in it considering the sloppy entry into the esses and the bit of traffic.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbratten
My pleasure. Just a drink for a garage? No sir, it's going to cost you that and at least another ride-along in your car.
haha will do. I will try to not be so sloppy next time.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM
flink
Racer

The exit from the esses can get a bit scary. I had them worked out last time but this time I forgot how to do them Driving all over that berm on the left at the exit really helps - it looks high and everyone avoids it and it tips the car on its ear, but it's surprisingly smooth.

Seems that I managed to put together a 2:06.08 on the first session with the new tires - a whopping 0.07 second pickup. I need to find a different tire to use in summer.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The exit from the esses can get a bit scary. I had them worked out last time but this time I forgot how to do them Driving all over that berm on the left at the exit really helps - it looks high and everyone avoids it and it tips the car on its ear, but it's surprisingly smooth.
I agree, the berm is smoother than it looks. I forced myself to stay on full throttle all through the esses and out onto the straight and found that once I'd done it it wasn't so bad.

I found this to be the fastest part of the course as the trans was shifting up into 4th (135 or so) prior to getting on the brakes for sunset. I still need to get my speed up for sunrise.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Sunrise is very deceptive in both directions. There's a ton of speed you can carry through with lots of track out room (more so going CW).
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 PM
choivette
Burning Brakes

Looking good Z, t-hill this month?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dennis. I probably won't be able to make it, but I need to get back to THill at some point. I haven't been there in a year and a half. Have fun out there

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow June 5/6 with NCRC