Northern California Northern California

Chassis (custom) builders in the area that could give insight on a project?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Chassis (custom) builders in the area that could give insight on a project?

So I'm getting to the point on my MogRod project (see the link in my sig) where I need to start planning out the custom chassis for the vehicle, and I'd like to talk with and get insight from someone(s) with experience in that kind of thing.

The cliff notes of the project is that I'm taking the whole drivetrain (engine, trans, independent rear suspension / diff, front suspsension / steering, brakes) from an '06 Pontiac Solstice and hiding it under the coachwork of a 1966 Morgan +4. The original Morgan chassis is damaged (and rusted) to the point where it just makes too much sense to start fresh and build around the new drivetrain.

I've got a couple of friends with a lot of experience in this area, but really, they're not the kind of people I could see lending their input without being a bunch of smartasses about it.

What I'd really like to do is meet with someone (or multiple individuals) with experience who can help me understand the kinds of things necessary to make a solid chassis.

Just to point out, I'm looking to make the chassis myself, so I'm not looking to be directed to a shop looking for a job quote.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Unfortunately, I can't be of any direct help. However, maybe an avenue... Go to the next Goodguys weekend in Pleasanton and chat up some of the DIY hotrodders there. Not only have many of them done their own work, but SOME of them aren't jerks.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

For a project like this, you aren't going to get a job quote. A chassis builder will charge you time and materials. There are some good shops in the area. I have used Enterprise motorsports in Newark, John Tobias Motorsports in Castro Valley, both familiar with drag cars. There are quite a few other good builders. As David mentioned, need continue asking around. Willie
Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by flaagan

What I'd really like to do is meet with someone (or multiple individuals) with experience who can help me understand the kinds of things necessary to make a solid chassis.

Just to point out, I'm looking to make the chassis myself, so I'm not looking to be directed to a shop looking for a job quote.

Thanks guys!

James,

If you want to stop by you can talk to Vince Rosengin, my lead tech and fabricator. He's done many motor swaps into cars that they were not intended for including several LSX swaps into RX7s, Nissan 240sx, 240z. He can probably give you some of his thoughts about your project.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by doje
Unfortunately, I can't be of any direct help. However, maybe an avenue... Go to the next Goodguys weekend in Pleasanton and chat up some of the DIY hotrodders there. Not only have many of them done their own work, but SOME of them aren't jerks.

Good point, was planning on going to the show end-of-month anyways.

Originally Posted by 383vett
For a project like this, you aren't going to get a job quote. A chassis builder will charge you time and materials. There are some good shops in the area. I have used Enterprise motorsports in Newark, John Tobias Motorsports in Castro Valley, both familiar with drag cars. There are quite a few other good builders. As David mentioned, need continue asking around. Willie
Cool, I'll look them up.

Originally Posted by TPSMak
James,

If you want to stop by you can talk to Vince Rosengin, my lead tech and fabricator. He's done many motor swaps into cars that they were not intended for including several LSX swaps into RX7s, Nissan 240sx, 240z. He can probably give you some of his thoughts about your project.
Right on, I'll have to arrange some time to swing on by.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
tjea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've two guys in mind
Paul Traver Castro Valley, 510-821-4454, did some work on my Z06 and recommended by MSI

The other is Kevin Mitz Campbell, (408) 828-5865, he does a lot of race cars, and has built a number of high end sports car kits. and has/is developing his own.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I was thinking, it sounds like you will need a chassis built from scratch. Chris Altson's Chassisworks in Sacramento has done a lot of custom, ground up projects. They have a good reputation and have been around for decades. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Chassis (custom) builders in the area that could give insight on a project?

Quick Reply: Chassis (custom) builders in the area that could give insight on a project?