Northern California Northern California

Pacific Coast Hwy info needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pacific Coast Hwy info needed

Hey guys, The Navigator and I are tentatively planning to do the tourist thing up the Pacific Coast Highway this year. I want to see it from the Santa Monica Pier (end of US 66) all the way to Portland or Seattle and need some info.
How many days to allow for seeing all the natural attractions: nature, redwoods, giant sequoia, etc.? Any recommendations on must-sees?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Default California Coast-line.

Hey Jim,

Man.....you can spend up to a week or more just going up the California coast line.

There's the obvious locations such as Hearst Castle, Monterey Bay Aquarium, San Francisco and so on.

But there are some things you absolutely don't want to miss!

Plan at least a day or two in Monterey and Pacific Grove area. There is plenty to see let alone having a few nice meals near, or on the wharf.

Plan to stay in San Francisco. You can spend a good couple of days there as well. Try to stop by and eat a lobster roll at Sam's Chowder House in Half Moon Bay. This is just south (before) you get into San Francisco.

After you're done with San Francisco, head up the coast into Mendocino and Fort Bragg. Try to spend the night near one of these two places. You can then get an early start the next morning to head north up to the Redwoods! Be aware you will have to head inland towards Gerberville (north of Fort Bragg), to get into the actual redwood forest, but it will be well worth the trip! The drive is tremendous! You will hit highway 101 which will still take you north, but you will be further inland going through several National Redwood Parks. You will continue north up to and through Fortuna and Eureka which is right back on the coast-line.

If you're looking for a nice place to stay up near Fortuna, make reservations and stay in the small town of Ferndale for the evening. Ferndale is just south, and west (towards the ocean), from Fortuna. My wife and I stayed at the Victoria Village Inn. It was nice and the Vette did fine sitting right out there on the street.

As you can see, there is lots to do on the California Coast-line. Take your time and enjoy the drive!

Good Luck!

Pat
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

When you get north of San Francisco, be sure to stop by Muir Woods (Redwoods), Point Reyes and Bodega Head (the grey whales are running this time of the year).

Navarro river redwoods state park is also worth a quick stop once you get up to Rt 128.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Dont foreget Big Sur,,,, you will want to stop and have lunch at Nepenthe....
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Great info. y'all keep the ideas coming.....
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hopefully you will make the trip before they open the Devil's Slide tunnels and close off that section of highway 1. It's not a long section, but definitely will be historically significant since they will close off that section forever once the tunnels are open (tunnels bypass that section of the highway). Tunnels scheduled to open early this year, but nothing specific yet.

Don't forget Santa Cruz with their boardwalk and carnival rides and surfers. And if you want to give your Vette a workout on some great twisties, head east onto highway 84 (about 7 miles north of Pescadero) and you'll end up at the top of Skyline/35 with a big grin. You'll also find Alice's, a favorite local restaurant/hangout for bikers.....no, not Hell's Angels types, more like full leather high end crotch rocket riders mixed with older baby boomer Harley riders. If you're still feeling brave, continue on 84 down the hill and it gets much tighter/twistier!

BTW, good call on Sam's Chowder House, and you might want to check out Barb's Fishtrap nearby if fried calamari is your thing.

Honestly, with all the sights to see, I'd plan on a couple of weeks or more.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Most important question is WHEN?
Winter time early spring it is less crowded, once you get into April though October you are battling with a major tourist crowd and motor homes, so it will slow you down as many parts of Hwy 1 are not setup for passing the road toads.
Not to discourage you as this has to be one of the most spectacular drives in the world and well worth the drive, just setting an expectation.
Once you get above Cambria... I know just a bit about Highway 1.
Nepenthe is great and has very good food, but also check out Rocky Point, a touch more upscale based on your budget, and very, very classy.

Much further south is Lucia Lodge, the food is beyond incredible and has gorgeous views with outside dining.
Depending on your timing, and in Carmel, I strongly recommend the Carmel River Inn for a place to stay. The have several very classy cottages, and the grounds are simply gorgeous versus your Best Western Hotel room which is more of a cattle drive orientation.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Summer fog can be worrisome too along the coast.

Have a great trip.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

When I first read this thread no one had yet replied. And I was stumped as to what to recommend. There is WAY TOO MUCH to even begin to list. Each one of us will have a favorite town, restaurant or overlook to recommend. I suggest just get in your car and drive and stop wherever somthing catches your eyes. And start your own list of favorites.

Enjoy
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have a weekend place just outside Monterey, so part of this is my
turf. Lots to list.

Do give us a hint on the budget. And when are you going? A lot of
things are seasonal (like whales, which are just about done with the
big migration, but can turn up any time).

Lunch at Nepenthe. I think on a clear day you could see San Diego. ;-)
or, depending on time of day, dinner at the Rocky Point about 20 miles
north of Nepenthe, especially if the surf is up.

Drive the 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach, just to see how the 1%
lives. The guards just might wave you through in a 'vette (it happened
to us a couple of times way back), or you gotta pay a bit.

Monterey Bay Aquarium. I've been a member since before they opened.
As a guy who does about 130 SCUBA dives a year in the Monterey area,
they got it right.

Monterey has the best burger I've ever had: Google: Duffy's Monterey.
Way off the tourist path, mostly locals, and Defense Language
Institute students.

Best fancy restaurant in Monterey: The Charthouse. Go early and ask
for a window table. Or Monterey's Fish House, off the tourist track and
a bit noisy, but great food. Or for something simpler, Frutti de Mar in
Marina (about 8 minutes north of Marina, and some inexpensive
Motels) which is a good Italian seafood place (You Marina airport
autocross folks ought to check this one out).

Cannery row shops are mostly tourist junk (but there's a Ghirardelli
chocolate place). Ocean Ave in Carmel is better for shopping (Trick
for parking in Carmel: As you come down Ocean Ave., it's all residential
and suddenly turns commercial. Take the first left after the first
commercial building, and then take a left into their underground
parking).

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Tribolet; 01-20-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

In the Malibu/PCH area, there are 3 little hidden beaches that just amaze me each time. Blink and you miss them tho.
El Matador, La Piedra, and El Pescador. They are quite secluded and require some hiking, but worth it.

Once you get thru Oxnard onto the 101, heading North past Ventura, I always enjoy taking the exit that says "state parks-beaches-solimar-faria" and spend a few nice moments with my girl on the beach there.

Santa Barbara area, exit on Cabrillo blvd. and you can cruise the coastal/beach blvd. there. To do some peoplewatching, hang a right on "State" st. The downtown area is nice. There are a bunch of little sidewalk cafes and restaurants there. Parking would be on a side street or a city parking garage on the backside of State st.
Might want to hang a right on "Mission" st. to check out the historic mission. It's a really nice area.

You could keep going North on the 101 via the coast and explore Jalama beach. Buellton food: Avante is a hidden gem. Great food; ask to be given the tour of the winery facility. or...

you could take the interior scenic mountain/twisty road route. That is state rt. 154. There are 2 scenic vista rest stops after you come down from the big bridge. The second one in the valley, Bradbury dam, is really peaceful. Hardly anyone stops there and the view of the dam is calming. Food along the way: Cold Spring Tavern and The Hitching Post #2. There are many wineries in this area (the Santa Ynez valley).

The little Danish town of Solvang is on 246 which splinters off from 154. Real touristy and quaint. If you hang a left on "Alisal" it will take you thru a grove-like road with trees covering the road. Stop by Najoqui park/waterfall for a short hike/relaxation opportunity. Food: Root 246 is good.

If you get hungry nearing Orcutt/Santa Maria/Nipomo:

SM, Hama Sato Japanese restaurant, exit "Betteravia" near Broadway, next to pier one store. Or steaks at "The hitching post" in Casmalia(keep going West on Betteravia 10 miles to the middle of nowhere). The Far Western restaurant in Orcutt is good.
Sushi at Atari-Ya on South Broadway behind Del Taco. or
California sushi & teriyaki (exit "Main" st off the 101, go to Miller-across from wells fargo bank)
Nipomo, Jocko's steaks exit "Teft" go right, go to the blinking traffic light 2 miles down, on the left corner. AWESOME steak sandwich there!

Better gas prices I find are usually at the AM/PM on Oxnard blvd. in Oxnard and on the corner of Donovan and Broadway in Santa Maria(exit Donovan, west 2 miles).

Technically, you could catch hwy 1 in Lompoc next to Vandenberg air force base, but honestly, there is not much to see here. Maybe you time it right and there will be a missile launch going on. It is a lot of small twisty road in the middle of nowhere. It would add hours to a short drive.

If you choose to stay on the 101, exit on Price ave in Pismo Beach and take a left at Pomeroy to drive down to the pier. Mo's BBQ here is great and Splash cafe has award winning clam chowder. McClintock's in Shell Beach is above Pismo and the 101; it overlooks the Pacific Ocean. Pretty nice.

The next place to catch hwy 1 is San Luis Obispo's Santa Rosa exit. Before you get there is Madonna Inn. Swanky place with fancy accommodations and culinary offerings. Once on Santa Rosa, you travel West to Morro Bay. From there, it is all scenic beautiful driving. I believe the elephant seal colony is between Morro bay and Cambria or near there.

Hearst Castle is next and worth checking out.

If you need assistance during your trip, maybe some of us along the route could be called upon. ???

Last edited by pablocruise; 01-26-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: added info

Get notified of new replies

To Pacific Coast Hwy info needed

Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Hwy info needed