Northern California Northern California

Day Trip Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 AM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Day Trip Ideas

Hi All, My wife and I are off for a week and want to go on some one day excursions from Roseville area. Any ideas ?

Thanks, Ken
Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Drive up to Reno and see the car museum. Do a little gambling while you are there.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Sportsman2003
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 41 Posts

http://www.alicesrestaurant.com
It's always a fun drive! And you never know what you'll see when you get there.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:50 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Takes drive to big sur Eat at nepenthe rest the views are awesome.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This site lists some day trip ideas. http://www.raddrives.com/roadmaps.html

I heard icehouse road is fun, but I've never been. Planning to drive it this summer.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (07-10-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 01:49 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Head up to Truckee and take 89 north. Great ride, all the way to Lassen NP.

Last edited by TerryL; 06-28-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Is2scooby (07-10-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 05:05 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!!!! I think we'll try to squeeze three in....... Tahoe for sure!! Thanks Again
Old 06-30-2016, 10:34 PM
jeffsdel
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Another way to get to Truckee, take 49 past Grass Valley all the way past Downieville to hwy 89 which will run into Truckee
Look on the map, it is truly a great Corvette drive.
Is2scooby (07-10-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Hope the fires are out by then. I'm leaning toward the Truckee South Tahoe area. Really nice area, sit on the beach and relax. Need to get out and stretch our legs.....Thanks
Old 07-04-2016, 12:53 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

OK, I will dive in, as I probably have over 100+ drives for day trips all over the state. It is my thing. I drove from Vegas to San Jose and was only on one 4 lane highway for 15 miles because there were no other choices. Well there was one but it was a nasty washboard dirt road, that took a bit to do, but not for the Vette. The rest of the trip was on two lane highways that took me 3 days to complete.
Normally no one, and I mean no one drives as intensely as I do. I think nothing of doing s 16-18 hour road trips through the mountains. So I shy away from making recommendations as most people are not willing to do that kind of driving.

BUT, if you are looking for a cool road and some incredible scenery, I would go out to Sonora, over the pass, south on 395 to Tioga Pass, into Yosemite, and go out Highway 140, back to the Bay Area. Staying on 120 and going out is better and closer to your location, but the Merced River Canyon is simply spectacular. You hit Highway 49 in Mariposa and can take that back to 108 and home.

Another long but very cool day trip is to crank down I-5 to Buttonwillow, get on 58 through McKittrick, through the Carrizo Plain, across California Valley and out 58 to Paso Robles. It is an incredible drive in the spring when everything is green and the wildflowers are all over the place, but you go by oil field huge ranches, windy, twisty mountain roads... a great drive. Wife and I did it a couple of years ago and even stopped off at Tobin James winery for a tasting.
3rd drive, very local, Del Puerto Canyon. South on I-5 to Diablo Grande Parkway/Sperry Road, west on Diablo right at Del Puerto Canyon Road. Bring along a 5 gallon jug that can be capped. You will come across a water stop that is so incredibly healthy you wish you brought a 50 gallon jug Follow the road over the mountians and you will come across an intersection that point the way for you with signs.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 07-06-2016 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Maybe a little too much Vino on a Sunday evening:>))
Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Nicodemo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
This site lists some day trip ideas. http://www.raddrives.com/roadmaps.html

I heard icehouse road is fun, but I've never been. Planning to drive it this summer.
What a cool site with some really neat drives! Thanks Duffman!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:02 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Tioga pass is SOUTH of Sonora pass, not north.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:19 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TerryL
Tioga pass is SOUTH of Sonora pass, not north.
See I did consume a little too much CA wine. Have done that trip 1000 times and got it wrong... Put me on the Toad's list.
Along those lines a great weekender is up over 108 to 395 to Old Tioga Road, follow it through Randsburg which just off the main highway but a very cool little stop. Continue on to Nevada's Highway 6 and then into Bishop, stay the night and then run down 395/14 to 58 and stop off at the Tehachipi Loop for some serious train watching. If you drive to Caliente, you can get up close and personal with the trains coming in from the west. Head out 58 to 99, and cut across 43 or 58 into Buttonwillow, then on to McKittrick and Paso Robles. Unfortunately a very pristeen California Valley with huge wide open spaces and giant ranches has been destroyed by the worlds largest solar farm.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:17 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
OK, I will dive in, as I probably have over 100+ drives for day trips all over the state. It is my thing. I drove from Vegas to San Jose and was only on one 4 lane highway for 15 miles because there were no other choices. Well there was one but it was a nasty washboard dirt road, that took a bit to do, but not for the Vette. The rest of the trip was on two lane highways that took me 3 days to complete.
Normally no one, and I mean no one drives as intensely as I do. I think nothing of doing s 16-18 hour road trips through the mountains. So I shy away from making recommendations as most people are not willing to do that kind of driving.

BUT, if you are looking for a cool road and some incredible scenery, I would go out to Sonora, over the pass, south on 395 to Tioga Pass, into Yosemite, and go out Highway 140, back to the Bay Area. Staying on 120 and going out is better and closer to your location, but the Merced River Canyon is simply spectacular. You hit Highway 49 in Mariposa and can take that back to 108 and home.

Another long but very cool day trip is to crank down I-5 to Buttonwillow, get on 58 through McKittrick, through the Carrizo Plain, across California Valley and out 58 to Paso Robles. It is an incredible drive in the spring when everything is green and the wildflowers are all over the place, but you go by oil field huge ranches, windy, twisty mountain roads... a great drive. Wife and I did it a couple of years ago and even stopped off at Tobin James winery for a tasting.
3rd drive, very local, Del Puerto Canyon. South on I-5 to Diablo Grande Parkway/Sperry Road, west on Diablo right at Del Puerto Canyon Road. Bring along a 5 gallon jug that can be capped. You will come across a water stop that is so incredibly healthy you wish you brought a 50 gallon jug Follow the road over the mountians and you will come across an intersection that point the way for you with signs.
Ever taken Quincy la port through Little Grass Valley?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM
KenVette57
Pro

DAMNNNN Keep em coming folks.... Looks like maybe 2 trips that week
Old 07-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Al D
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll chime in since we are neighbors. I'm in Shingle Springs / Placerville.
You did say day trip, so what about right up 80 to Auburn, have breakfast then south down 49. You can head up to Georgetown, then to Garden Valley and drop back to Coloma and Lotus. Great little coffee shop and little eatery just before you cross the river into Coloma. Then continue on 49 to downtown Placerville. Main Street has lots of great restaurants. Then any way you like back to Roseville. Lots of great wineries in the Placerville area. Or continue further down 49 to a bunch of great little towns with old Main Streets.

I also like all the suggestions coming in.
Al
Is2scooby (07-10-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dkz
Yes, several years ago, I traveled all the routes of the North Gold Country. Followed 49 from top to bottom then 89 into 70 and stayed at the Gold Pan Lodge in Quincy... where else??? I wanted to see the more obscure towns on the way back so I took LaPorte Road back into 70 to Yuba City stayed the night there, and back down. It was so long ago, my pictures are slides that need to be scanned in
Another great drive is out of Oroville. Take 162 all the way to Quncy, then circle back on 70 to Wicke's Corner, back to Oroville. Forgot my camera on that trip so I have nothing, but a memory of a great drive, and very cool scenery.
Going further north take 299 off of I-5 outside of Redding to 89. I went a little beyond because I was interested in Ahjunawi Lava Springs. Supposedly the waters form the largest fresh water body in the country. It was BIG,,,, but I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Day Trip Ideas

Old 07-07-2016, 12:34 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to add a destination idea that I have done before. Go to a racetrack. You can go online and check the calendar for Sonoma, T-Hill, Laguna, and Buttonwillow. Trackday, car event, Motorcycle event whatever. Enjoy the drive to the track and then hang out checking out the vehicles or racing.

Several times I have gone to tracks during special events (Ducati day at Laguna) or professional team testing. The small events are the best because you get crazy access and no crowds. Just act like you belong there.

Dog
Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
See I did consume a little too much CA wine. Have done that trip 1000 times and got it wrong... Put me on the Toad's list.
Along those lines a great weekender is up over 108 to 395 to Old Tioga Road, follow it through Randsburg which just off the main highway but a very cool little stop. Continue on to Nevada's Highway 6 and then into Bishop, stay the night and then run down 395/14 to 58 and stop off at the Tehachipi Loop for some serious train watching. If you drive to Caliente, you can get up close and personal with the trains coming in from the west. Head out 58 to 99, and cut across 43 or 58 into Buttonwillow, then on to McKittrick and Paso Robles. Unfortunately a very pristeen California Valley with huge wide open spaces and giant ranches has been destroyed by the worlds largest solar farm.
No worries.... Microbrew IPA is awesome
Old 07-07-2016, 06:00 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Originally Posted by dkz
Haven't done that one. What route from Roseville? How long is the ride and what about the ride? My wife HATES the freeway, does this stay off the interstate?

Quick Reply: Day Trip Ideas