Sonoma Magic - Wednesday night drags

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Sonoma Magic - Wednesday night drags

Well Well. I may get a tongue lashing for the name but what do you say to "Sonoma Magic"? No Genie just a fun Wednesday night at the drags.
The following users liked this post:
Keith Richards (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
Well Well. I may get a tongue lashing for the name but what do you say to "Sonoma Magic"? No Genie just a fun Wednesday night at the drags.
Actually Chuck I like it, now where do I go to sign up and get my car entered?

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 05-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I like it. I'm in.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim McCombe
Actually Chuck I like it, now where do I go to sign up and get my car entered?
I am putting together a flyer this week and you will be able to respond to me at hvlytxd@msn.com.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Will be there in one of the cars as the wife's helmet expired so I get driving duty for awhile, probably mine the most though and am doing my best to come play in Jackpot prior when I can sneak away from work early. Hopefully tomorrow to start!

Last edited by Keith Richards; 05-09-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like fun.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Johns67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to it. I'm in.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 PM
FlatPlaneCrankDreams
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be there
Old 05-10-2017, 02:39 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Chuck, is this part of the regular Sears Wed nite drags?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

harrydirty this is in conjunction with the current Wednesday night program.

Was able to get out last night, lots of fun and had a good long talk with Jim McCombe he mentioned the event numerous times and has some great ideas on this deal, good catching up Jim!

Was super happy to see my 1st time slip since last time out and my old best of 13.70 was brought down to a 13.36 with the replacement of my old hard Michelins to the new Firestone Indy 500's, somewhat respectable now for a stock base C5.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
harrydirty this is in conjunction with the current Wednesday night program.

Was able to get out last night, lots of fun and had a good long talk with Jim McCombe he mentioned the event numerous times and has some great ideas on this deal, good catching up Jim!

Was super happy to see my 1st time slip since last time out and my old best of 13.70 was brought down to a 13.36 with the replacement of my old hard Michelins to the new Firestone Indy 500's, somewhat respectable now for a stock base C5.
Hi Keith, I wasn't able to make it last night to catch up with you and Jim. We're in Tokyo vacationing. Just wondering what you do for the extra 5 seconds that you are waiting to cross the finish line compared to the Orange beast Challenger of yours.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383vett
Hi Keith, I wasn't able to make it last night to catch up with you and Jim. We're in Tokyo vacationing. Just wondering what you do for the extra 5 seconds that you are waiting to cross the finish line compared to the Orange beast Challenger of yours.
Hello Willie, Hope you have a great vacation! I think right now I am thinking what do I have to do to cut a light? After being so use to that top bulb and rarely driving a footbrake car again it is a fun challenge. My last two time runs Wednesday were both -.283 red one in the right and then one in the left, both of those shallow staged and leaving on second yellow, in elims I left on third amber against Jessica and had a .243 but was able somehow to push her out. Next week I may try going deep and using a blinder off the 3rd amber. 2nd round against Brian Cam I was -.165 , BTW weird deal he had to wait a second on me so when I went by the tree it was green and soon as he left my side went red, guess that new timing system (worst red) was waiting to see what he would do after it knew I was red, thought I may have cut a good light there for a second! lol..
See you out there soon.

Last edited by Keith Richards; 05-12-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:04 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

That's a tough one to figure out. At least your reds are deadly consistent.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Here is a live video from FB, somehow I got on there 1st pair out, Nick's C5 is also on here a few pairs after....

Facebook Post

Last edited by Keith Richards; 05-12-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:11 AM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vette Magic 42 is happening. September 10th

Just updating everyone. Vette Magic is happening this year. We won't be at Sac Raceway, but we have changed the venue to Kingdon Airport (drag strip) in Lodi.

This will be our 42nd running of Vette Magic. Sponsored by the Northern California Corvette Association. As a side note, we just celebrated our 60th anniversary and we are the oldest incorporated Corvette Club in America.

I want to stress we are not endorsing or associated with the event being called Sonoma Magic at the weekly Wednesday night drags in Sonoma. Our club does not endorse this event nor will we promote it. It is not associated with our club.

Kingdon Dragsteip is an airport located off 8 mile road in Lodi, Ca. The airstrip was established in 1942 as a training airfield for WW2 fighter pilots. It is currently a private airport and the owner loves hosting drag races. These ar old fashioned drags. Yes, we will have a timing booth, and yes, it is all good! We will be surrounded by the beautiful vineyards of the Lodi area. It will be fun.

We hope to see all up there at Kingdon on September 10. And I hope to see Willie up there as well! I have gone up against him for King of the hill twice... (He won both times)

I will have a flyer out this week. We are finalizing everything this weekend!

Really hope to see you all at Kingdon in September!

Vette Magic 42! And we do have the Genie.. It's trademarked!

Tim Sullivan
Pres, NCCA. Oldest Corvette Club in America

Last edited by timbo79; 05-13-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:23 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by timbo79
Just updating everyone. Vette Magic is happening this year. We won't be at Sac Raceway, but we have changed the venue to Kingdon Airport (drag strip) in Lodi.

This will be our 42nd running of Vette Magic. Sponsored by the Northern California Corvette Association. As a side note, we just celebrated our 60th anniversary and we are the oldest incorporated Corvette Club in America.

I want to stress we are not endorsing or associated with the event being called Sonoma Magic at the weekly Wednesday night drags in Sonoma. Our club does not endorse this event nor will we promote it. It is not associated with our club.

Kingdon Dragsteip is an airport located off 8 mile road in Lodi, Ca. The airstrip was established in 1942 as a training airfield for WW2 fighter pilots. It is currently a private airport and the owner loves hosting drag races. These ar old fashioned drags. Yes, we will have a timing booth, and yes, it is all good! We will be surrounded by the beautiful vineyards of the Lodi area. It will be fun.

We hope to see all up there at Kingdon on September 10. And I hope to see Willie up there as well! I have gone up against him for King of the hill twice... (He won both times)

I will have a flyer out this week. We are finalizing everything this weekend!

Really hope to see you all at Kingdon in September!

Vette Magic 42! And we do have the Genie.. It's trademarked!

Tim Sullivan
Pres, NCCA. Oldest Corvette Club in America
Hi Tim - We all hope Vette Magic 42 does well but please stop the Trademark stuff about your Genie. We are not competing with NCCA and even though you do not support or endorse our event I doubt that will matter to those that do.

You may not be aware but the Forum rules do not allow you to bash my thread. Monitor please delete his post.

But if we were to compare Vette Magic with Sonoma Magic:

Lodi for $50; Sonoma for $25 with Professional track prep; Professional track pros; Trained safety personal; Professional announcers; Racing under the lights; Real bathrooms (that's plural plus) Sonoma Vineyards and the cool evening breeze.

Oh and one more thing that I'll be banned for. Is being the oldest car club in America mean your event will be better than "Sonoma Magic?

Doubt it!

The Fireman

Last edited by Charles Gerughty; 05-15-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Sonoma Magic Flyer

Several participants have asked if we can run a separate class for 2 and 3 pedal cars. Sure - We can do that and even have a "King of the Hill" run off (Oops I'm sure to be in trouble again for being a copycat) Hey McDonald's and Burger King do it all the time so why can't I?
Boat Racer (05-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Sonoma Magic - Wednesday night drags

Old 05-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Sonoma Magic Flyer

So we can have an accurate car count please print, complete and send the flyer back to me @ hvlytxd@msn.com. See you all at "Sonoma Magic"

Last edited by Charles Gerughty; 05-19-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Revised times per Jim and Willie
Boat Racer (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 04:35 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Non drivers are also welcome to come. The gate fee for them is only $10.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
That's a tough one to figure out. At least your reds are deadly consistent.
LMAO! I didn't even noticed that.

Quick Reply: Sonoma Magic - Wednesday night drags