Northern California Northern California

Bay Area Driving... Joyful?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
I used to live in MT. I put it this way - Drivers in Montana don't know where they're going, how to get there, and don't care how long it takes.
Lol. You know, I don't see it as a bad thing.
If I drive my Vette in Montana, I prolly will be same as you described.

Last edited by bimmerborn; 02-09-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2018, 01:36 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I also used to live in Arizona. Met my wife there. When we were going out I mentioned how in AZ all the slow drivers were in the left lane. Later she said, "you know, you're right about that. I never noticed."
Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
Lol. You know, I don't see it as a bad thing.
If I drive my Vette in Montana, I prolly will be same as you described.
I used to drive from Bozeman to White Sulfur Springs (~90miles) on a Saturday morning. Drive 90mph for 20 minutes and not see another vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWillys:
bimmerborn (02-11-2018), LS WON (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to live in MT. I put it this way - Drivers in Montana don't know where they're going, how to get there, and don't care how long it takes.
Perfect description. I would add that some go slow and some do not. There are roads for everyone out there - beautiful paved straights and twisties, plenty of dirt roads and more than enough jeep trails. My Jeep, Bubba Truck and Corvettes will be very happy out there.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

I used to drive from Bozeman to White Sulfur Springs (~90miles) on a Saturday morning. Drive 90mph for 20 minutes and not see another vehicle.
The last Montana to California trip I did, I didn't see a state trooper at all in Montana (including on the Interstate highway), saw a few in Idaho and Nevada, saw ten between the NV/CA stateline and Truckee.

I think that is mostly a function of population - with only about a million people in the entire state of Montana, you just don't need as much enforcement. Add the fact that MT drivers on the whole behave a little more reasonable than CA drivers and it isn't any surprise that you don't see troopers much in MT unless you need them.

Last edited by Erik Zinn; 02-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS WON

I had it with all of these laws, taxes and restrictions.
You are not the only one. Add housing costs and the perception that crime is on the rise and you trigger the beginning of an exodus. I just saw this on the news this morning:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...dus-residents/
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
Starting in the 70s, friends of mine began to leave the bay area. Some for other less populated places in California, some for Oregon, Washington, Arizona, etc.

I always noticed not one of them ever came back. I left in '91 for farther northern California. Less money here, but less traffic and stress. Clean air, too, and no smog test unless the vehicle is being sold to another private party.

Silicon Valley. You live there so you can work there so you can afford to live there so you can work there so you can afford to live there...

I call it living on a treadmill.
Santa Cruz used to be like that in the 60's and 70's and even part of the 80's, including the same smog check status. Thanks to bleed off and bleed over from Silicon Valley, the Santa Cruz of yore is no more. We are just Los Gatos West now.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:16 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Zinn
The last Montana to California trip I did, I didn't see a state trooper at all in Montana (including on the Interstate highway), saw a few in Idaho and Nevada, saw ten between the NV/CA stateline and Truckee.

I think that is mostly a function of population - with only about a million people in the entire state of Montana, you just don't need as much enforcement. Add the fact that MT drivers on the whole behave a little more reasonable than CA drivers and it isn't any surprise that you don't see troopers much in MT unless you need them.
One of the things that drove my decision to leave Silicon Valley was when I last lived there in Cupertino, I went to the grocery store one evening, which was about two miles away, I counted nine police cars on the way there and back. I felt like I was living in a police state.
bimmerborn (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

One of the things that drove my decision to leave Silicon Valley was when I last lived there in Cupertino, I went to the grocery store one evening, which was about two miles away, I counted nine police cars on the way there and back. I felt like I was living in a police state.
Yeah, that goes beyond CHP and speaks to the perception of crime. I am living in a house I bought in Santa Cruz 26 years ago. It was a very quiet place back then. I pretty much hear sirens round the clock now, the steady stream of car noise from 4am to almost midnight, and the bark of jets deaccelerating directly over our house round the clock (thanks FAA for rerouting the jets directly over our house). We went from being a sleepy retirement and fishing community to a bedroom community for Silicon Valley and a douchebag rookery for homeless people and drug addicts.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:48 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Yeah, that goes beyond CHP and speaks to the perception of crime. I am living in a house I bought in Santa Cruz 26 years ago. It was a very quiet place back then. I pretty much hear sirens round the clock now, the steady stream of car noise from 4am to almost midnight, and the bark of jets deaccelerating directly over our house round the clock (thanks FAA for rerouting the jets directly over our house). We went from being a sleepy retirement and fishing community to a bedroom community for Silicon Valley and a douchebag rookery for homeless people and drug addicts.
I haven't been to Santa Cruz since the 80s, and the wife since the 60s. We'd like to take trip down there sometime and I'm sure that except for the boardwalk I'd hardly recognize the place. From looking on the internet, I can see motel prices sure have gone up.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

I haven't been to Santa Cruz since the 80s, and the wife since the 60s. We'd like to take trip down there sometime and I'm sure that except for the boardwalk I'd hardly recognize the place. From looking on the internet, I can see motel prices sure have gone up.
The Boardwalk lies in Beach Flats, which is colloquially referred to as the "Kill Zone" due to stabbings and shootings that occur there periodically. MS 13 setup shop down there once the drug market became very profitable and the usual crime that accompanies it happens frequently. After Trump was elected, Homeland Security made some raids, but enforcing drug use and gang warfare in this town and county is like playing whack-a-mole.

Traffic here is horrendous during rush hours and pretty bad during daylight hours. If you come here, hit me up and I will give you some tips on mountain roads that might be fun if you hit them up early enough in the morning to avoid the bicyclists, Priuses and other modes of transportation pursued by the self-entitled snots that live here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Erik Zinn:
bimmerborn (02-11-2018), GotCorvette? (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

The Boardwalk lies in Beach Flats, which is colloquially referred to as the "Kill Zone" due to stabbings and shootings that occur there periodically. MS 13 setup shop down there once the drug market became very profitable and the usual crime that accompanies it happens frequently. After Trump was elected, Homeland Security made some raids, but enforcing drug use and gang warfare in this town and county is like playing whack-a-mole.

Traffic here is horrendous during rush hours and pretty bad during daylight hours. If you come here, hit me up and I will give you some tips on mountain roads that might be fun if you hit them up early enough in the morning to avoid the bicyclists, Priuses and other modes of transportation pursued by the self-entitled snots that live here.
That's really sad. It used to be a nice place to visit and live in.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

That's really sad. It used to be a nice place to visit and live in.
I totally agree. I see this having played out alot from Santa Barbara to Santa Rosa. It is ultimately what led me to pick up a house in Montana and set up residency there. I still have to periodically come to California for my work, so I have not completely escaped the madness. My Montana time helps add a little serenity to my life and helps to slow my pace down though.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:11 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

I totally agree. I see this having played out alot from Santa Barbara to Santa Rosa. It is ultimately what led me to pick up a house in Montana and set up residency there. I still have to periodically come to California for my work, so I have not completely escaped the madness. My Montana time helps add a little serenity to my life and helps to slow my pace down though.
Things haven't changed much up here in Lake County since I came here in '91. The population is even about the same. I actually expect it to go down a bit in the next census since the fires in recent years took out so many houses many of which will not be rebuilt. Most notable change is while we are still an agricultural economy, the number one crop has gone from pears to wine grapes. And lots of marijuana, of course. A lot less meth now than there used to be, too.

I can understand the appeal of someplace like Montana, but neither I nor my wife can stand the cold. My retirement budget will not handle two homes.
bimmerborn (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Things haven't changed much up here in Lake County since I came here in '91. The population is even about the same. I actually expect it to go down a bit in the next census since the fires in recent years took out so many houses many of which will not be rebuilt. Most notable change is while we are still an agricultural economy, the number one crop has gone from pears to wine grapes. And lots of marijuana, of course. A lot less meth now than there used to be, too.

I can understand the appeal of someplace like Montana, but neither I nor my wife can stand the cold. My retirement budget will not handle two homes.
If you don't like the cold, Montana is definitely not a good place to reside. I prefer the cold and I love to fish, bird hunt and big game hunt, so Montana is my version of nirvana. I also think that government should not be too intrusive into my life and personal choices, so long as I am not hurting anyone, so Montana's limited state and local government fits the bill for me too. The fees charged by the state for things like car and truck registration are unbelievably cheap when compared to California.

I have seen people that couldn't stand the wet, dark winters of Seattle come back to California, and people that couldn't stand the cold, dark winters of the northern Rockies and the High Plains come back to California too. You really do have be able to adjust to the weather AND the culture in order to prosper as a California transfer to those places.

You can buy a fixer-upper house on 1/4 to 1 acre for $30k in small towns in central Montana. That isn't chump change, but sure beats worrying about the higher prices we have to endure here in parts of California.
bimmerborn (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 02:27 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

If you don't like the cold, Montana is definitely not a good place to reside. I prefer the cold and I love to fish, bird hunt and big game hunt, so Montana is my version of nirvana. I also think that government should not be too intrusive into my life and personal choices, so long as I am not hurting anyone, so Montana's limited state and local government fits the bill for me too. The fees charged by the state for things like car and truck registration are unbelievably cheap when compared to California.

I have seen people that couldn't stand the wet, dark winters of Seattle come back to California, and people that couldn't stand the cold, dark winters of the northern Rockies and the High Plains come back to California too. You really do have be able to adjust to the weather AND the culture in order to prosper as a California transfer to those places.

You can buy a fixer-upper house on 1/4 to 1 acre for $30k in small towns in central Montana. That isn't chump change, but sure beats worrying about the higher prices we have to endure here in parts of California.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:49 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

It depends on what you want.

I have zero problem paying what I do to live in California, I love it here, to me the price is worth. Both me and my wife also have a lot better salaries than we would in other parts of the country.

I love that in February, I'm not only not storing my corvette, I drive it every day. I've had the top off more days this month than on.

To me that is worth it. I get why it isn't to others, but I really don't understand the California hate. Worry about higher prices? What does that even mean?

Get notified of new replies

To Bay Area Driving... Joyful?

Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 AM
furioustylez
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta drive kinda far to find some good roads. But it's worth it.. roads like Skyline and Hwy 9 are worth the wakeup at 8am and an hour drive on a weekend just to get there
bimmerborn (02-13-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
There are bad drivers here, but there are just too many cars. They keep building more high density housing. The politicians want us to use mass transit. They have no concept of the fact that some people might actually enjoy driving a car like a Corvette.

I am seriously considering moving away from the Bay Area.
Politicians, cars, legal immigration, guns, and taxes in Kalifornia are issues nobody understands. These topics will go for another 100 Yrs and we'll still be on square1.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:59 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by furioustylez
Gotta drive kinda far to find some good roads. But it's worth it.. roads like Skyline and Hwy 9 are worth the wakeup at 8am and an hour drive on a weekend just to get there
Speaking of road quality - I bought a C6 about 3 weeks ago from Oklahoma and drove it back to bay area (via LA). While I was driving through other states (especially UT & AZ) roads were so clean and smooth you couldn't tell how fast you're going.

This is true - while I was enjoying my drive without keeping an eye on the speed, I felt I had slowed down to 25-30 Mph. But I saw a car driven by an elder man on my left going the same speed - I was kinda shocked. I looked at the speedometer, it was actually at 75 mph and the car felt like an electric car, (stock C6 NPP closed flaps) no sound, no road noise, and so smooth, I couldn't tell the speed, it felt like a Tesla. I pressed the gas and went up to 95, which barely felt like a 40. Vans and SUVs were going Tripple digits. I'm not admitting to going triple digits, but you couldn't tell if you did Then I come to Komifornia where we have harsh/rough roads everywhere (don't know what they do with our taxes dollars); but yeah, I can tell when I'm at 70. Now add the traffic and bad drivers and we have a complete pkg that's not exactly a driver's dream

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 03-15-2018 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Driving... Joyful?