Northern California Northern California

Bay Area smog shop recommendations (mod-friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:05 PM
theproskater
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area smog shop recommendations (mod-friendly)

I'm looking for a "mod-friendly" smog place somewhere in the Bay Area, preferably around San Jose. My car has an A&A supercharger with supporting mods, meth, mild blower cam, etc. I did put the whole exhaust back to stock so that part shouldn't be an issue. I think the car should pass the OBD test (just has an A&A tune); it's the visual part I'm worried about. If the smog tech looks carefully enough at the blower they'd notice that there's no CARB EO number on the sticker.

I realize this may be a sensitive subject and not something to be discussed in the open thread, so please feel free to PM me if you have any recommendations. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:19 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Hate to say it but your not going get one response. This is your first post asking for someone to break the law and possibly cost them their business or job.

Just sayin.

As for the SC. I’m guessing it’s not one of A&A carb units. ?
Your cam should be ok. Like you said it’s the visual. I’d guess you have a CAI too.

I have smog coming up too. Gonna swap out the CAI and cross my fingers.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2018, 07:24 PM
theproskater
Cruising

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Hate to say it but your not going get one response. This is your first post asking for someone to break the law and possibly cost them their business or job.

Just sayin.

As for the SC. I’m guessing it’s not one of A&A carb units. ?
Your cam should be ok. Like you said it’s the visual. I’d guess you have a CAI too.

I have smog coming up too. Gonna swap out the CAI and cross my fingers.

Good luck
Yeah, I realized that after I submitted the post. Probably best to look for info on this subject in another way. And it's a YSI supercharger, so not the carb one. Worst case, I could probably try to swap it out with a carb one just for smog purposes, since I think that's the only thing that would fail. I appreciate the response anyway!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:40 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by theproskater
Yeah, I realized that after I submitted the post. Probably best to look for info on this subject in another way. And it's a YSI supercharger, so not the carb one. Worst case, I could probably try to swap it out with a carb one just for smog purposes, since I think that's the only thing that would fail. I appreciate the response anyway!
That’s a thought. Think if you swap out the card unit you’ll need a different downpipe too for the sensor location. If I remember correctly.

I had the Carb unit in my other car.

Good luck man. Come hang out with that beast sometime.
Corvettesyndicate.com on FB and Insta
Old 02-01-2018, 03:26 AM
Revolver ZSTi
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

got to pay to play,

PM me
Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Revolver ZSTi
got to pay to play,

PM me

Nice. I need a star smog. Heard that’s a little harder. But nice to see options are still available. Lol
Old 02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
theproskater
Cruising

That’s a thought. Think if you swap out the card unit you’ll need a different downpipe too for the sensor location. If I remember correctly.

I had the Carb unit in my other car.

Good luck man. Come hang out with that beast sometime.
Corvettesyndicate.com on FB and Insta
I can talk to the shop that does all my work about what it would take to swap the unit. He does a ton of A&A installs so he might have a few laying around too.

Does your group do regular meetups around the bay? I go driving around hwy 9/skyline blvd pretty much every weekend, it would be cool to have some other guys to run with.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

I can talk to the shop that does all my work about what it would take to swap the unit. He does a ton of A&A installs so he might have a few laying around too.

Does your group do regular meetups around the bay? I go driving around hwy 9/skyline blvd pretty much every weekend, it would be cool to have some other guys to run with.
We were just in that area 2 weeks ago. Went from Pacifica to Fremont to the old hooters. Smokin Pig bbq. Had about 20 cars
We should be doin something this month. Gonna try and do a lunch a month. Not including other events like a CNC or autox or track trip.
Who does your work?

Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 PM
theproskater
Cruising

We were just in that area 2 weeks ago. Went from Pacifica to Fremont to the old hooters. Smokin Pig bbq. Had about 20 cars
We should be doin something this month. Gonna try and do a lunch a month. Not including other events like a CNC or autox or track trip.
Who does your work?
Nice! I'll have to try to join you guys for the next one. A&A did all the major work on the car (it used to be Andy's car). I've been taking it to Valaya Auto in downtown San Jose for the various little things that have come up with the car since I bought it back in October. They specialize in Vipers and Vettes.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Nice! I'll have to try to join you guys for the next one. A&A did all the major work on the car (it used to be Andy's car). I've been taking it to Valaya Auto in downtown San Jose for the various little things that have come up with the car since I bought it back in October. They specialize in Vipers and Vettes.

Looks like some serious camber in the last pic on the passenger rear, or is it a illusion?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:03 PM
theproskater
Cruising

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Looks like some serious camber in the last pic on the passenger rear, or is it a illusion?
I see what you mean in the picture! Just an illusion of the angle though, not actually running any serious camber.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 AM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

got to pay to play,

PM me
interested here.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:26 PM
9secz
Pro

got to pay to play,

PM me
You've got mail!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Revolver ZSTi
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

My bad guys I've been MIA with the smog help, if any of you guys need help just message me

Get notified of new replies

To Bay Area smog shop recommendations (mod-friendly)

Quick Reply: Bay Area smog shop recommendations (mod-friendly)