Northern California Northern California

North Bay Area Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM
CapslockAnt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default North Bay Area Tuner

Sorry to start yet another tuner thread, but I'm looking for some guidance.

I'm located in Santa Rosa in the North Bay. I just recently had the harmonic balancer go bad on my 02 C5 Z06 (114k miles). I'm having my trusted local auto shop, who within the past year replaced the valve springs (COMP Cams springs) and installed a trunnion upgrade kit and has performed the majority of service / general maintenance work for my car throughout my ownership, perform the harmonic balancer replacement as well as replace some other misc items (oil pump, water pump, timing chain, etc). After digging through these forums, everybody suggests that now is the time for a camshaft upgrade. My local auto shop has specced out a new camshaft (COMP Cams 223/227,.610",.614", 112 -- if I recall correctly) after speaking directly speaking with COMP Cams and explaining the current spec of my car and what I'm using the car for (spirited weekend driving, occasional road track weekend). COMP Cams has said that the stock tune 'will work' with the new camshaft, but I obviously want to maximize performance and engine stability.

My problem is that my local auto shop does not perform tuning services. I've been digging through these forums to try and find a reputable tuner within the general bay area, and have found a few solid suggestions -- but none that are able to tune my car.

Matt @ GP Tuning is booked 3 months out. Rick @ Synergy will not tune my car since it will be built/upgraded outside of his shop (which is weird because I read a ton of forum posts about people installing parts at Abel Chevrolet and then tuning at his shop, but that's besides the point). I've sent an email to AJ at In-Frame Tuning and I'm waiting to hear back (optimistic about this one since it's right in my backyard @ Napa).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CapslockAnt; 12-04-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Try RPM in Santa Rosa
Old 12-07-2018, 05:28 PM
CapslockAnt
Instructor

Originally Posted by lt1z
Try RPM in Santa Rosa
I got ahold of AJ @ Performance In-Frame Tuning who said he could schedule me for mid January. Depending on how the car runs on the stock tune next week when I get it, I may wait it out until then. If it runs rough I'll probably see what RPM's schedule is looking like.

Thanks!

Last edited by CapslockAnt; 12-07-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Just thinking out loud here I suspect Rick doesn't want the responsibility of tuning a cammed car that he did not install.

Bolt ons is one thing but internal work is another.

I suspect most of the cars Abel sends in are bolt ons or after the so called recall on the Cats for the 08 and 09's. Which was my case concerning the latter.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by CapslockAnt

I'm located in Santa Rosa in the North Bay. I just recently had the harmonic balancer go bad on my 02 C5 Z06 (114k miles). I'm having my trusted local auto shop, who within the past year replaced the valve springs (COMP Cams springs) and installed a trunnion upgrade kit and has performed the majority of service / general maintenance work for my car throughout my ownership, perform the harmonic balancer replacement as well as replace some other misc items (oil pump, water pump, timing chain, etc). After digging through these forums, everybody suggests that now is the time for a camshaft upgrade. My local auto shop has specced out a new camshaft (COMP Cams 223/227,.610",.614", 112 -- if I recall correctly) after speaking directly speaking with COMP Cams and explaining the current spec of my car and what I'm using the car for (spirited weekend driving, occasional road track weekend). COMP Cams has said that the stock tune 'will work' with the new camshaft, but I obviously want to maximize performance and engine stability.

My problem is that my local auto shop does not perform tuning services. I've been digging through these forums to try and find a reputable tuner within the general bay area, and have found a few solid suggestions -- but none that are able to tune my car.

Matt @ GP Tuning is booked 3 months out. Rick @ Synergy will not tune my car since it will be built/upgraded outside of his shop (which is weird because I read a ton of forum posts about people installing parts at Abel Chevrolet and then tuning at his shop, but that's besides the point). I've sent an email to AJ at In-Frame Tuning and I'm waiting to hear back (optimistic about this one since it's right in my backyard @ Napa).

Rick and I (and Matt at GP) have been doing business together and with mutual customers for years. Rick does not want to tune packages that he doesn't know about. We have a mutual agreement that he will tune anything we install from start to end or builds that we do for mutual customers.

We have a ton of customers that also have us install parts for Matt to tune.

I completely get where Rick is coming from based on some of the 'stuff' I've recently seen installed on customer's cars from other places. It's actually scary some of the stuff we've all seen and it creates liability to have that junk on the dyno.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:37 AM
CapslockAnt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Just thinking out loud here I suspect Rick doesn't want the responsibility of tuning a cammed car that he did not install.

Bolt ons is one thing but internal work is another.

I suspect most of the cars Abel sends in are bolt ons or after the so called recall on the Cats for the 08 and 09's. Which was my case concerning the latter.
Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Rick and I (and Matt at GP) have been doing business together and with mutual customers for years. Rick does not want to tune packages that he doesn't know about. We have a mutual agreement that he will tune anything we install from start to end or builds that we do for mutual customers.

I completely get where Rick is coming from based on some of the 'stuff' I've recently seen installed on customer's cars from other places. It's actually scary some of the stuff we've all seen and it creates liability to have that junk on the dyno.
I can totally understand where Rick is coming from, and I'm not intending to not knock him in any way. His work speaks for itself, as this forum is filled with great things to say about the work he does and continues to do. My car will unfortunately not get any magic from him.

The camshaft installed seems to be working fine with the stock tune other than the idle RPMs (wants to stall), which will hopefully be resolved by an idle relearn procedure that I'll perform tonight. LT headers are a possibility in the near future after I get some DMV/smog hurdles out of the way, so I may hold off on the tuning altogether until I can get that going.

Thanks everyone for the timely responses and input, it's much appreciated.

Last edited by CapslockAnt; 12-13-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

did you end up going to see AJ in Napa?
Old 01-12-2021, 10:19 AM
Mad_Dog_1965
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

Rick - i like to get my c2 1966 Corvette DYNO'ed tune. where are you guys located? i am in San Francisco.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by CapslockAnt

Sometimes the wait is totally worth it and there is a reason why there is a wait. I went over everything I installed prior to making an appointment, and he looked over my car after I installed my Magnusson 2650 blower. He won't blow up your car and is conservative and doesn't go looking for hero dyno numbers. My 17' Z runs amazing and am very happy I waited two months after making an appointment to get my car tuned by him.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 01-19-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:38 PM
GX427
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Check out TBR garage in Sacramento Matt is a cool guy and they’re shop is huge always have 20+ cars and like 11 lifts in the shop a huge sick shop ranging from 400-5000hp cars
The following users liked this post:
GTE (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:49 PM
GTE
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine was the 400hp car :-/
The following users liked this post:
GX427 (02-02-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To North Bay Area Tuner

Quick Reply: North Bay Area Tuner