Northern California Northern California

67 GTO Restoration - Need a Shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:26 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Default 67 GTO Restoration - Need a Shop

Before I sold my shop, I rescued a 67 GTO from a junkyard for a friend. I did a fair amount of work in the engine and the wiring to get it to run all to no avail. Bottom line I need to get this car to someone that can finish it up.
Was in contact with Campbell Auto Restoration, and sent the requested pictures, and even a simple email with no response, All calls got to VM with no response. OK, got it, not interested. does anyone know of a decent company/person that can finish the restoration, or at least give me an estimate of what it would take.
I know there are some real hacks out there, as I have seen their work. After being out of the business for 6 months I have lost track of who is good and who is not.
What is cool is the original owner is a 91 year old Asian woman who bought it new. Her granddaughter told me she always had muscle cars.
Any recommendations? Can be anywhere in the SF Bay Area
Old 12-24-2018, 11:05 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

The biggest challenge will be finding someone that has an opening inside of a couple years. I talked to Campbell Auto Restoration about a drive train swap and it became obvious they were swamped many, many months out. They look to have the skill set but getting a firm spot in their queue looked to me to be possible, but only by being very persistent and by stopping by their shop, email/calling would not work.

With all the excess money in the bay area any decent shop will be expensive and have long lead times. You may have to look a little farther afield. BTW - I gave up on the drive train swap.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:42 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Try Bob Waldschmidt at Automotive Enterprise in San Carlos. He's been doing body, paint, mechanical, electrical for 40+ years.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/automotive-...ise-san-carlos
Old 12-24-2018, 02:59 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What shape is the GTO in,been thinking about selling my Nova Convertible to look for a 67 GTO.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:01 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I do a lot of business with restoration shops here in Northern CA, if you want to look away from the Bay Area there are some great shops out here in the Valley that does spectator work. Here are a few I do business with:

http://www.lucky7speedshop.com/
http://www.fullcircleresto.com/
https://yorkspeedshop.com/pages/about-us
Old 12-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
What shape is the GTO in,been thinking about selling my Nova Convertible to look for a 67 GTO.
Unfortunately this one is not for sale. It is going to a great grandson in FL as a surprise. I tried to convince them the car should be done in FL as it would be a whole lot cheaper but the 91 year old Grandmother wants it done here in CA. Now I suspect I show them a $50K estimate that tune might change quickly
Old 12-25-2018, 12:04 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SPEEDEMON
I do a lot of business with restoration shops here in Northern CA, if you want to look away from the Bay Area there are some great shops out here in the Valley that does spectator work. Here are a few I do business with:

http://www.lucky7speedshop.com/
http://www.fullcircleresto.com/
https://yorkspeedshop.com/pages/about-us
Excellent, I am calling them on Wednesday. I need to get this car out of my driveway. I have moved down south and need to get this resolved. Thanks
Old 12-25-2018, 12:05 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LouieM
Try Bob Waldschmidt at Automotive Enterprise in San Carlos. He's been doing body, paint, mechanical, electrical for 40+ years.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/automotive-...ise-san-carlos
Completely forgot them. I know they have a better than excellent reputation. Will check with them.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2018, 04:50 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a connection to Campbell Auto Restoration,as you know all of these shops mentioned are top notch so whoever is paying the bill might want to be sitting down when you give them the estimate.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:09 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Might want to look into a GTO Club for reference
Old 12-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I have a connection to Campbell Auto Restoration,as you know all of these shops mentioned are top notch so whoever is paying the bill might want to be sitting down when you give them the estimate.
Oh I know. The interior has been restored to a large degree, new carpeting, seats redone, headliner in but needs to be trimmed, door panels are pretty good but the metal has a small amount of surface rust. The exterior is in decent shape with some very minor surface rust around the back window. Engine????? Starting system has an electrical issue.
Having said that I still suspect we are in the $30 - $40K range if done out here.

Originally Posted by Caveboy
Might want to look into a GTO Club for reference
Yes, waiting on an answer from Golden Gate GTO's
Old 12-26-2018, 04:18 PM
Nimrod
Le Mans Master

Location: Willow Glen, California.........................."But... Chunks is our dog!"
Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

I love the work that Campbell Auto does, but it can be difficult to get booked with them. They seem to be pretty slammed most of the time.
I've been following American Customs & Classics and they seem to do quality work. They're in Hollister, so I would expect the cost to be a little more palatable than a shop in Silicon Valley. Might be worth a call.
Good Luck.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:32 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Got a couple of answers from a couple of shops and $45k seems to be the going price. Contacted the owners,but I doubt they will go for that kind of money. I had been warning them it would be in this range, but forwarding the emails I got back confirms what I have been telling them. Will be interesting to see what the family comes back with.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 GTO Restoration - Need a Shop

Quick Reply: 67 GTO Restoration - Need a Shop