Northern California Northern California

Noise Ticket on Stock Car / Car Modes / Heads Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 11:54 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts
Default Noise Ticket on Stock Car / Car Modes / Heads Up

While I'm sure some would use this as another chance to bash California, this story has been going around the car community and I thought other California Corvette drivers might want a heads up. It's a developing story though there are a few key points that folks should know if interacting with a LEO and get asked about car modes to prevent the same problem.

This happened in Riverside, CA and it's clear there may be some agenda by that agency going on. Though the same laws used for this cover all of California.
  1. Guy in bone stock car running in track mode got pulled over.
  2. LEO asks if he is using a sport mode, driver says yes, it is in track mode.
  3. LEO uses an interpretation of CARB laws that says if the car is running in a mode that the car doesn't start in, and is excessive, violates the law and must be sent back to the dealer have the mode removed as modes that the car doesn't start up in are not permitted for on road use. This is clearly impossible and a problem.
  4. Car gets red tagged and can't be driven until problem corrected.
  5. Owner tries to get the car checked at a ref station, and for some reason runs the car in the same track mode instead of the start up mode it should be run in (according to the test). Fails the test and the car is still red tagged.
Point #3 is where the story gets a bit scary. Clearly the law is meant to address MODIFIED cars, not STOCK ones. If this interpretation is correct it's could be critical that in interactions with law enforcement, owners are aware they can be incriminating themselves and possibly get their cars red tagged over a factory stock exhaust noise based on what they tell a LEO when they get pulled over.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/stock-...t-registration
Old 10-05-2022, 06:03 PM
Russdawg1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Its a shame for sure. It heavily depends on where you are too and who the cop is.

I received a simple "inadequate maintenance of muffler system" ticket for a fully straight piped car, ripping it under a underpass. No CA state ref, just a simple fine. Lucked out on that one.

I can't imagine that if an Elantra N is getting tagged for this, that the C7Z wouldn't be met with the same situation.
The following users liked this post:
spireland (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 12:05 AM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 173 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

California is turning into a Communist state. I have to get out of here.
The following 3 users liked this post by lilcuda:
LS WON (10-07-2022), mcm95403 (10-26-2022), rb185afm (10-13-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 08:43 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

If this wasn't real it would be funny. Things just continually get worse here. It sure seems as though our fearless leaders purposely look for ways to punish the population.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:13 AM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
If this wasn't real it would be funny. Things just continually get worse here. It sure seems as though our fearless leaders purposely look for ways to punish the population.
Only the part of the population that doesn’t drive or want electric cars. If you buy into the environmentalist mentality, you’re all good.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:13 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
This is not a California problem, this is a bureaucracy problem. Any state has rules that can be abused to an unfair extent of it's populace. It's not just California.

Look at Kansas, not exactly a progressive bastion, had to have a law passed to stop law enforcement from crushing a Corvette that had committed the sin of being restored.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/n...m-the-crusher/

Rules can be abused just about anywhere if authorities want to. It's pretty hard to argue this isn't an agency or person pushing some agenda, it's hardly the consumer's fault for using the product as sold.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:46 PM
bill.c6z06
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

California’s “New” Exhaust Noise Bill: What You Need to Know
"Everybody can calm down"
"If you were cited for an illegal exhaust and you believe you weren't in violation, there is a SEMA-sponsored noise-testing program with the Bureau of Automotive Repair that can potentially dismiss the citation by issuing a certificate of compliance."
Old 10-07-2022, 12:32 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Why didn't the owner have the sense to put the car in street mode during the referee test?
Old 10-07-2022, 01:38 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
Why didn't the owner have the sense to put the car in street mode during the referee test?
You don’t do the test. The referee does.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:54 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
It's a really good question. Reading the thread on Reddit where the story came from, it seems like the ref was even trying to get they guy to tell him to run it in the quiet mode. Whole story was one mistake after another on the part of the owner.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:49 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcuda
Old 10-07-2022, 08:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bill.c6z06
California’s “New” Exhaust Noise Bill: What You Need to Know
"Everybody can calm down"
"If you were cited for an illegal exhaust and you believe you weren't in violation, there is a SEMA-sponsored noise-testing program with the Bureau of Automotive Repair that can potentially dismiss the citation by issuing a certificate of compliance."
This is not enforced here. It's also outdated.
Authorities cannot even keep up with the sideshows going on.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:49 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

We left Ca in May. Even the roads are great outside of Ca, and premium is $3.50
The following 4 users liked this post by xlr8rvette:
lilcuda (10-08-2022), LS WON (10-11-2022), mcm95403 (10-26-2022), rb185afm (10-13-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 02:23 AM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

How can it not be a California thing?
Keep thinking that and you won't have any rights left. If you think this state (with current Governor) will allow you to do the things you enjoy you're gullible.
That's a lie down and take it mentality. Why this is posted to remind us of the over reach is beyond me. I'm on here to escape the BS.
LS WON (10-11-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 11:30 AM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco
How can it not be a California thing?
Keep thinking that and you won't have any rights left. If you think this state (with current Governor) will allow you to do the things you enjoy you're gullible.
That's a lie down and take it mentality. Why this is posted to remind us of the over reach is beyond me. I'm on here to escape the BS.
I think many people here have their heads in the sand. California is banning one thing after another. They are outlawing gas appliances. So if you are a hobbyist chef, you won’t be able to have a fancy gas stove in your house that you pay for. Let that one sink in. They are slowly removing personal choice for many things.
LS WON (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:35 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

This post cracks me up.
The cop was a total dick and extremely rare. Same with the cop that wrote up my car for no front plate, he was a dick. When I took it in to San Jose to get the fix it ticket taken care of the LEO behind the counter was really cool. He called a bunch out and they all agreed the car looked ugly with a front plate, it was hilarious.
Yes they are slowly banning gas appliances, but we all know the electrical grid cannot keep up so I suspect this will get rolled back at some point. My neighbors home was flipped and they installed a catalytic convertor for the gas appliances. Thought that was pretty cool.
Will have to comment on those moving out to save a few pennies, and I have posted this before. While the news is claiming people are moving out of CA in droves, my neighborhood(South San Jose) is seeing a boom. Homes are selling way over asking price and in hours with a bidding war. Way more people want to move in than are leaving.
Over in OT a neighbor was all pumped up he moved to AZ and saved himself $10K/year in taxes. In the year he was gone my home and suspect his, went up $200K. I own home in the Midwest(MI Suburb) it went up $50K over the last year, my home near Yosemite went up $50K in 6 months with multiple calls from flippers wanting it. So yes we have some stupid rules but the demand to move in seems to far out weigh the selling.
The following 3 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
Bayshore Vette (01-13-2023), DWillys (10-11-2022), LS WON (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 03:46 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
This post cracks me up.
The cop was a total dick and extremely rare. Same with the cop that wrote up my car for no front plate, he was a dick. When I took it in to San Jose to get the fix it ticket taken care of the LEO behind the counter was really cool. He called a bunch out and they all agreed the car looked ugly with a front plate, it was hilarious.
Yes they are slowly banning gas appliances, but we all know the electrical grid cannot keep up so I suspect this will get rolled back at some point. My neighbors home was flipped and they installed a catalytic convertor for the gas appliances. Thought that was pretty cool.
Will have to comment on those moving out to save a few pennies, and I have posted this before. While the news is claiming people are moving out of CA in droves, my neighborhood(South San Jose) is seeing a boom. Homes are selling way over asking price and in hours with a bidding war. Way more people want to move in than are leaving.
Over in OT a neighbor was all pumped up he moved to AZ and saved himself $10K/year in taxes. In the year he was gone my home and suspect his, went up $200K. I own home in the Midwest(MI Suburb) it went up $50K over the last year, my home near Yosemite went up $50K in 6 months with multiple calls from flippers wanting it. So yes we have some stupid rules but the demand to move in seems to far out weigh the selling.
Well, of course people are always going to want to move here, for jobs, nice weather, lots of things to do (assuming you like waiting and sitting in traffic). But here's the deal - when you have lived here for 50 years like I have, you have seen this place go to ****. This place was awesome 30 years ago, still pretty good 20 years ago, but now, it's too crowded, you can't do this, can't say that, can't buy that here, it's banned. I'm taking my equity and getting the hell out when I retire.
LS WON (10-11-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Noise Ticket on Stock Car / Car Modes / Heads Up

Old 10-10-2022, 04:30 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Without being at the scene of the violation we can’t say that the subject who received the citation didn’t absolutely deserve it, and maybe he deserved much more.
It very well could be the LEO who issued the citation was completely justified in issuing the citation and maybe he even cut the violator a huge break.
You can’t judge either person without knowing all the facts.
I don’t understand people who receive a citation for violating the law and then place the blame on the LEO who issued the citation.
If you take the chance and violate the law, then get caught, it’s not the law enforcement officer’s fault for doing his job by enforcing the law.
I for one, wish my local law enforcement agency would sit on the street near my house and issue citations to every car and motorcycle with overly loud exhaust.

DWillys (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 06:01 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Without being at the scene of the violation we can’t say that the subject who received the citation didn’t absolutely deserve it, and maybe he deserved much more.
It very well could be the LEO who issued the citation was completely justified in issuing the citation and maybe he even cut the violator a huge break.
You can’t judge either person without knowing all the facts.
I don’t understand people who receive a citation for violating the law and then place the blame on the LEO who issued the citation.
If you take the chance and violate the law, then get caught, it’s not the law enforcement officer’s fault for doing his job by enforcing the law.
I for one, wish my local law enforcement agency would sit on the street near my house and issue citations to every car and motorcycle with overly loud exhaust.
You need to watch the video and read up on this particular situation. The car was completely stock and the cop told him to sue Hyundai and to have the dealer remove the track mode from the car. Then it was tested in Track Mode, not regular mode, which is not how the test is supposed to be conducted. The cop was condescending towards the driver. I'm pro police, but not when they are overreaching. This cop could have told the driver not to drive around in track mode and given him a warning.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:11 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Well, of course people are always going to want to move here, for jobs, nice weather, lots of things to do (assuming you like waiting and sitting in traffic). But here's the deal - when you have lived here for 50 years like I have, you have seen this place go to ****. This place was awesome 30 years ago, still pretty good 20 years ago, but now, it's too crowded, you can't do this, can't say that, can't buy that here, it's banned. I'm taking my equity and getting the hell out when I retire.

Quick Reply: Noise Ticket on Stock Car / Car Modes / Heads Up