Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Test drove a Boxster S today:

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Test drove a Boxster S today:

Nice little car but feels like a toy compared to my Vette. Much less power....really need to "work it" to go but the car handles like it's on rails. Fells VERY small with a lot of engine and road noise.....going back to the Vette feels like driving a Lexus by comparison. The Vette is much more comfortable with light years more torque, room and ride quality (I have the F55). This just confirms that I'm driving the right car.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by golfbone
Nice little car but feels like a toy compared to my Vette. Much less power....really need to "work it" to go but the car handles like it's on rails. Fells VERY small with a lot of engine and road noise.....going back to the Vette feels like driving a Lexus by comparison. The Vette is much more comfortable with light years more torque, room and ride quality (I have the F55). This just confirms that I'm driving the right car.
Never had a doubt
Old 05-14-2007, 09:44 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default the name

most buyers i suspect buy it for name....
Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur.I was definately underwhelmed by the Boxter S.It felt like a 20K sporty car to me.Plus the salespeople were jerks to boot.The Corvette is a man's car-the Boxter? Hmmmm.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 PM
thetopdog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I bought my Vette I was thinking about getting a Boxster S, it is kind of feminine though
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
CorvetteRL
Lifetime Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

No offense to you Porsche guys...

I looked at the Boxster & the Cayman before buying my 9th vette. To be honest, they are well built cars.... for girls! I have to have that V8 and plenty of power.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by CorvetteRL
No offense to you Porsche guys...

I looked at the Boxster & the Cayman before buying my 9th vette. To be honest, they are well built cars.... for girls! I have to have that V8 and plenty of power.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 PM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The boxster S is for wussies and its so
Old 05-15-2007, 03:43 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

with all that's been posted thus far, my brother has a regular (non S) Boxster and the car does nothing for me.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 870 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Before I bought my Vette I was thinking about getting a Boxster S, it is kind of feminine though
To quote Ralphie on the Sopranos..."A boxter is a Porshe with panties."
Old 05-15-2007, 07:00 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Most Boxturds are driven by trophy wives around here. Or wannabes.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend's wife worked for PCNA here in in Atlanta. They gave her a Boxster as part of her employment. The car is kinda fun and I highly recommend you take one if it is GIVEN to you. If you must pay for it... pass!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Boxster bashing is not unusual here. A lot of Corvette owners need to build their ego. I happen to own both a C6 Z51 and a Boxster S. Both are great cars but different. On the track there are few cars (Lotus perhaps) that can match the Boxster in handling, certain not the C6.

With respect to engine power, the Boxster certainly needs more. But everyone needs more HP, even the ZO6 owners want more.
But without a doubt the engine is far technically superior (VarioCam) to anything GM has ever produced. The new Boxster with a 3.4 engine generates 87 HP per liter, a C6 generates 67 HP per liter. In other words if the standard Corvette generated as much HP per liter it would be at 522 HP.

I have my Boxster on the track as much as possible, I have gone 2 seasons on the same brake pads and I still have a lot left for Road America next week. I am amused by the Corvette owners who are constantly changing out pads and replacing rotors. I am a fan of good engineering and in my opinion Porsche is near the top in that category.

I love both cars but make no mistake, Porsche builds great cars, not cheap, but the Porsche chassis and engine are state of the art for a production car. The C6 is without a doubt the best car, dollar for dollar that you can buy, and it can hold its own against all but the most expensive Porsches. So it is not really fair to compare cars, they are as different as blondes and redheads, each has their pluses and minuses.

Please feel free to trash me, ego is not a big thing with me. Anyway this topic has been covered on this forum ad nauseam since the C6 was introduced. Do a search, don't forget to look at the archive. You will likely find more references to C6 vs Boxster, than you will find about DBS.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

Originally Posted by vettesmith02
Never had a doubt
Old 05-15-2007, 11:34 AM
baddasp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by golfbone
Blah, Blah, Blah...See what one is still running in 5 years. OOOPPPSSS.. was that my roof that just flew by?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

If you want a pure handling car with intuitive feedback nice looks and solid build quality a Boxster is very hard to beat in fact I don't think it can. Its a superlative in a field of sports cars. Bashing a Boxster is the equivalent of admitting you know nothing about cars.

The Boxster is one of two cars I have personally driven that instilled instant confidence and was sliding it through corners two blocks from the dealership. Its an awesome car.

So is the Vette but don't be foolish and bash it just because its not for you.

Oh yeah, I had a Boxster S on order before I bought my first Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove a Boxster S today:

Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
If you want a pure handling car with intuitive feedback nice looks and solid build quality a Boxster is very hard to beat in fact I don't think it can. Its a superlative in a field of sports cars. Bashing a Boxster is the equivalent of admitting you know nothing about cars.

The Boxster is one of two cars I have personally driven that instilled instant confidence and was sliding it through corners two blocks from the dealership. Its an awesome car.

So is the Vette but don't be foolish and bash it just because its not for you.

Oh yeah, I had a Boxster S on order before I bought my first Vette.
I could not have said it any better myself.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:10 PM
UberR32
Pro

I drove a 986 S, and it does inspire confidence more quickly than the vette. However, it was the first time I had been in a modern porsche, and the interior was really cheap, nothing like the function over form design of the 964. I would suggest that the delta between the 986/987 interiors is equivalent to the C5/C6 delta.

I think that a 987S would be a ton of fun - good balance, enough power, lightweight. I *had* to buy a vette for many good reasons, but now that I've had one, I do lust after a Boxster, hairdresser comments notwithstanding. However, it's usually fear of the maintenance and RMS issues that steer me back to my gool 'ol American plastic.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
keg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
most buyers i suspect buy it for name....

Quick Reply: Test drove a Boxster S today: