Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone ever owned a evo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 AM
ssteve
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone ever owned a evo?

My last car was a evo8, and i am now considering buying a z06 but am affraid that it will be too hard to drive fast and that i would be better off getting a evo ix. Wondering if anyone else has made the switch?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Too hard to drive fast? The Evo is a nice car, but it's no Corvette.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
ssteve
Instructor

handling wise they are on par with a vette but my hang up is that Im not sure if a vette would be as easy to drive as a evo.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:48 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Take one for a test drive. They won't let you beat the crap out of it, but you should be able to drive it fast enough to see if you like it. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with a Z.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:58 AM
Mpwr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from an 02 M3 to an 02 Z and no regrets here just permagrin
Old 05-24-2007, 02:05 AM
imflyinbiya
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I went from an 01C5z06 to an 05 Evo 8 MR back to my current 03c5z06...

enough said...haha
Old 05-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Zosickness
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends. Do you just want to drive fast or do you also want people to know you can drive. If you want to be a driver get the vette. If you want the car to do all the work get an Evo.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:20 AM
ssteve
Instructor

I had an evo and I can garantee that if your running sub 2:05's at thunder with mild mods you would be doing some work.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:35 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Every review I have ever read about the C5Z says it is easy and comfortable to drive to the limit, and forgiving. I don't know why you would think it is hard to drive. I was scared to push the car on the first day I owned it. Somebody told me it would give no warning and then have uncontrollable oversteer. That is completely untrue. Since your already a racer, I can't possibly imagine you couldn't "tame" the Z06. Try it, I think you'll like it.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Ill bet lots of us have owned Evos. But we would have to spell it PWNED
Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have both. 05 EVO8 and 02 C5. Plenty of track time.

Totally different animals.

In the straight I'd say the EVO is a bit faster under 70mph and everything above that the vette is a lot quicker. By 140 you won't even see the vette anymore...the EVO really hits a wall at 80 that the vette doesn't.

The EVO inspires confidence everywhere, and you'll miss the areo downforce cornering at speed, while the vette is a very visceral and downright scary by contrast. You're always hanging on at the track, and the limits are rather high. I gave a friend with an EVO a drive of my vette as a potential switch to vettes for track duty...he laid down the gas early in a corner and hung it way out, said f*** that and kept his EVO. I had another EVO owner friend in the same situation that said he'd finally have a car with guts that drives like a racecar (unlike his EVO). Bottom line, it's personal in terms of what you'll prefer, but adjust driving style appropriately. 400+ft-lb of torque + matting the gas mid-corner won't fly.

Braking...the vette will kill the EVO. Not even close despite those pretty Brembo calipers.

Steering...I like the EVO's feel better, as it just transmits more of your input through a tighter ratio. The vette's variable effort steering is welcomed at speed, when the EVO starts to feel twitchy and the vette doesn't.

They both seem to handle pretty neutral, despite the EVO's terrible balance (1000lb more over the front wheels). The vette's handling is easily adjusted via huge torque at the command of your heavy foot anytime, but it's easy to get oversteer. They both push a bit, but the EVO pushes more, particularly when you consider throttle induced oversteer in the vette.

It's a BIG change either way. I can't step out of either one into the other and be fast immediately. Both ARE fast. IMHO I'd say the EVO is the superior autox car and the vette is the superior roadcourse car.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver

In the straight I'd say the EVO is a bit faster under 70mph and everything above that the vette is a lot quicker. By 140 you won't even see the vette anymore...the EVO really hits a wall at 80 that the vette doesn't.

The EVO inspires confidence everywhere, and you'll miss the areo downforce cornering at speed, while the vette is a very visceral and downright scary by contrast. You're always hanging on at the track, and the limits are rather high. I gave a friend with an EVO a drive of my vette as a potential switch to vettes for track duty...he laid down the gas early in a corner and hung it way out, said f*** that and kept his EVO. I had another EVO owner friend in the same situation that said he'd finally have a car with guts that drives like a racecar (unlike his EVO). Bottom line, it's personal in terms of what you'll prefer, but adjust driving style appropriately. 400+ft-lb of torque + matting the gas mid-corner won't fly.

Braking...the vette will kill the EVO. Not even close despite those pretty Brembo calipers.

Steering...I like the EVO's feel better, as it just transmits more of your input through a tighter ratio. The vette's variable effort steering is welcomed at speed, when the EVO starts to feel twitchy and the vette doesn't.

They both seem to handle pretty neutral, despite the EVO's terrible balance (1000lb more over the front wheels). The vette's handling is easily adjusted via huge torque at the command of your heavy foot anytime, but it's easy to get oversteer. They both push a bit, but the EVO pushes more, particularly when you consider throttle induced oversteer in the vette.

It's a BIG change either way. I can't step out of either one into the other and be fast immediately. Both ARE fast. IMHO I'd say the EVO is the superior autox car and the vette is the superior roadcourse car.

Thanks for the detail. I always enjoy reading from those who actually have the experience to write about.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:01 AM
ssteve
Instructor

thanks for the write up, thats exactly what I was looking for. I use to ride sport bikes for quite a few years and even then I was plenty fine with the rear kicking out, but not so comfortable pushing the front. Most likely from growing up on dirtbikes. With a sport bike you can control a lot of that with weight tranfer of your body and getting on the gas. With the evo it pushes when driven hard and the only real way to correct it is with a aggresive alignment and some suspension mods but then it takes away from the streetability, tire wear, rough ride, grabs edges on the road ect.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:11 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

The vette definitely pushes less, and with some suspension mods you can get it to have a natural oversteer if preferred. I still like it to push a tad so i at least can look at where I'm heading off track...hehe. It acts nice and neutral with throttle in stock form. As you noted, once the EVO is pushing there isn't much you can do about it. Still, the EVO feels really good with the areo and steering input. Brakes aren't bad (as you know), I just prefer the grabbier vette brakes when diving into a corner deep. Plus the vette has a lower CG, less weight, and more rubber under it, all of which I'm sure help.

I don't plan to sell either car.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver

good writeup
Old 05-24-2007, 01:17 PM
ssteve
Instructor

Yeah pads fluid and ss lines made a HUGE difference. So much so its hard to discribe, stock pads are just complete crap.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

my bussy has an evo with the inercooler, suspension, exhaust switch to jack up boost, etc etc... last model. He helped me upgrade my rotors, etc a week back, drove my car after on teh test drive.. hes now looking to sell his evo to fix up a C5 :-)

Does that help?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever owned a evo?

Old 05-24-2007, 02:29 PM
VA CORVETTE 757
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but it's a different kind of "owned" haha
Old 05-24-2007, 03:28 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gpracer1
Ill bet lots of us have owned Evos. But we would have to spell it PWNED
Old 05-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Ok, Here's where I look a bit stupid. What the heck is an Evo?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever owned a evo?