Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

planning on storing car for a few years, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM
merc280
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning on storing car for a few years, any tips?

I was planning on storing my car for a couple years, since I started carpooling with my day and I won't be needing to drive it and didnt want to sell it. its a 1995 mercedes C280.

I heard if i don't start the car every few weeks the seals on the engine will go bad, is that true? Should i change all the fluids before storing it?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

You're going to be better off selling it, and buying another car when you want one.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by merc280
I was planning on storing my car for a couple years, since I started carpooling with my day and I won't be needing to drive it and didnt want to sell it. its a 1995 mercedes C280.

I heard if i don't start the car every few weeks the seals on the engine will go bad, is that true? Should i change all the fluids before storing it?

Any help is appreciated.
That's BS, you don't want to start it every few weeks. The most damage happens on a cold start. So, what's worse, 1 cold start in a year? Or, 1 cold start every week?

In all seriousness, if you're really going to store it for 2 yrs you're better off selling it.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

1. Before storing the car, replace all the fluids. (Engine/Tranny/Rad/Washer/Diff/Brake/PS/Have a full tank of gas) Have fresh stuff. You might want to wash the car beforehand as well. Get all the dirt and grime, brake dust and road tar off it.

1. You need to find a place to store it that is humidity free. You don't want moisture building up on or in the engine, or the interior as it sits. A heated garage would be nice.

2. Remove the battery. Store it in a warm place.

You'll probably get different views on this one.
3. Put the car on jackstands and remove the tires. Over inflate the tires by a few pounds or deflate the tires completely. If you know for sure you are not driving the car for a couple of years then deflate.

4. Make sure to close all the windows and lock all the doors. Do not leave anything open.

5. Cover the car with a car cover. Find a nice one. One that allows the car to breath thru the fabric. You don't want to trap moisture under the cover.

6. Check on the car once in awhile. Look under that cover, open a door to check inside, look in the trunk and under the hood. Another very important thing is to keep rodents and other furry varmints out of your vehicle. They love to chew and will chew the ignition wires and wiring harnesses until nothing is left. They will also crawl inside into any opening to find a warm place to nest. I have pulled rats, chipmunks and mice nests out of air filter housings, HVAC ducts and even mufflers. Sticking clean, heavy rags into the engine air intake, fresh air intake (if there is no screen mesh or cabin air filter) under the windshield and tail pipe. Mice like to use paper and cloth for their nests, so if you have mice in your area covering openings with metal screen mesh or stuffing with aluminum foil will be necessary. When this is all done, get a large container of mothballs and spread them around and under the vehicle to keep varmints away.

I store my car in my unheated garage for the winter (3-4 months) and I don't do any of the above. Well actually, I usually do the fluids step. I start my car and take it for a drive when the roads are dry and free of salt every 2-3 weeks.

When you are ready to drive the car again, change the oil and filter. Oil breaks down and collects moisture over time, even when the car is stored.

If you google "storing a car", you'll find lots of sites with how to's and other recommendations.

Get notified of new replies

To planning on storing car for a few years, any tips?