Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GT-R 7:38 is the real deal... here it is.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 PM
bdking57
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

screen captures? There is no way to tell from any videos I have seen.

Originally Posted by Boost_TT
The car that ran the 7:38 time was a production car. That car did not have these tires on it. Even the video shows what tires it had on it if you look closely.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Boost_TT
Racer

Originally Posted by bdking57
screen captures? There is no way to tell from any videos I have seen.
The one of the car in the garage backing out. You can see the tread patter on the car. But I do have a 37" Monitor so it's easier for me to see.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM
eddiehaskell
Advanced

The one of the car in the garage backing out. You can see the tread patter on the car. But I do have a 37" Monitor so it's easier for me to see.
How do you know the car backing out was the same car that was doing the laps? Do you think they drove straight from the garage to the 'Ring and did the lap?

It looked like a compilation of different footage to me.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Yeah they show them putting on the wheels before the racing starts which leads me to believe they were likely putting on a different set of tires, otherwise why would they show them doing that? We all know different tires can make a huge difference so I will take that time with a grain of salt relative to the Z06's time on stock tires.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Boost_TT
Racer

Originally Posted by kbreese
Yeah they show them putting on the wheels before the racing starts which leads me to believe they were likely putting on a different set of tires, otherwise why would they show them doing that? We all know different tires can make a huge difference so I will take that time with a grain of salt relative to the Z06's time on stock tires.

A article said they had to swap tires due to vibrations with another set of stock tires.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

A article said they had to swap tires due to vibrations with another set of stock tires.
Yeah, it was vibrating so we had to switch to a set of slicks

I think you're reading too much into it. The quote is from the man himself. If it wasn't true, why would he say it?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 AM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

7:38:54 is a great time. I'm not sure I'm buying into it but I'm not going vent on it much longer. One person....just one person, yes, one person........ a kid from piston head started all this. Not two people, just one. But it seems to be the answer most want to hear. Heaven to bid if Nissan could build another super car. I say we chill out on it for a while. Why believe what "jonny" says? Cause it substantiates what you hope is true? Forget about the time altogether, look at the mechanics of the car, transmission, suspension, interior. it is technology advanced from what most of us are seeing in the market today. It is a great effort. To bad Jonny was in the room.

Look at it like this.

Nissan chief engineer prior to reveal:

OK guy's here's what were gonna do. We finally finished our car the Nissan GT-R. I say we introduce it to the market like this.

"O seato". you take the car and run the ring as fast as you can.

Chie, make sure we get all the latest from Sony so we can film it. I mean I'm talking big screens that slide together on stage "neat stuff" real eye catching so we can plaster that number everywhere. I want the world to see that number. It's gonna be great.

Noriko, you mission. Get the car in the venue and have it appear right after we announce the ring time to the world. And of course (after) we have them watch the video of the run. They can stand there the entire time, thinking. The ring numbers will be about 3 foot high and 30 foot long..."BIG" I want the seats filled with car enthusiasts. I want anybody and everybody there that remotely has any interest in performance cars. It will be perfect cause those guys never check nothing out anyways.

Chi, I want this streaming on line as we do it. I want it all out in the open. I mean I want them to see the LED display in the car as they all stand there watching or watch from home for the entire 7:58:54. It will be captivating.

By the time I get on stage they won't care about the time. Who's watching anyway?

................................Oh .........Heeeere's Jonny!

Last edited by Slowgoin; 10-30-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Boost_TT
Racer

Default Just to clear things up...

The article was not correct. Here it is from Edmunds about the time and another interview with the engineer. It was done on street tires.

----

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/3620

Much is being made of the car's lap time at the famous Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit in Germany. Mizuno claimed a time of 7minutes 38 seconds, compared with 7:43 for a Porsche 911 GT3 and 7:32 for a Carrera GT, but he was anxious to point out that there had been "two wet patches on the circuit." Indeed, he mentioned the "wet patches" so many times that you wondered why Nissan simply hadn't waited for a dry day.

Mizuno reckoned that a time of around 7:30 should have been possible in the dry, but that going much faster would have required hand-cut slicks, which isn't "real world." Bizarrely, Nissan admitted to having different test drivers for different lapping. While Chief Test Driver Toshio Suzuki operates in the 7:30-7:40 range, his right-hand man is a 7:40-7:50 man. It's amazing how much the "Ring vernacular" has entered the Japanese psyche
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

Boost TT,

I posted that soon after the article by PH was released. No one is buying it. Jonny kinda soured the bunch. I wish they would can that kid.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Boost_TT
Racer

"#7 of 7 Tires used on the 7:38 lap by jkavanagh Oct 29, 2007 (3:19 pm)
Bookmark | Reply
There's been some confusion over the tires used on the GT-R during its 7:38 lap of the Nurburgring. Various sources have reported that cut slicks were used. This is incorrect, and stems from a language barrier at a press conference during the GT-R's debut at the Tokyo Motor Show.

Senior GT-R development engineering staff on hand at the 'ring trip I attended confirmed that production-specification (including the tread compound) Bridestone RE070 tires were used on the 7:38 lap.

The three pre-production cars Nissan had on hand during the final Nurburgring trip were production-intent configuration. The strongest car of the three (within production variation) was selected to run the lap, with no "hotting up" done to fudge the result."

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f165732

Quick Reply: GT-R 7:38 is the real deal... here it is.