Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2009 Nissan GT-R U.S. pricing announced at $69,850

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 PM
JonnyRottenLA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Nissan GT-R U.S. pricing announced at $69,850

You gotta read this hype!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...850/#more-4128

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/i...ear/#more-4174

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8Le0V-wOk

Last edited by JonnyRottenLA; 11-21-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That thing is just plain butt ugly. And in no way can it be considered to be a sports car.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Dizz
Pro

Originally Posted by fperra
That thing is just plain butt ugly. And in no way can it be considered to be a sports car.
I could not agree with you more.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

90% hype - 10% fact. doubt if that things gonna spank the z06. if fact, i doubt if it will spank an ls3/z51/6-speed. don't ya love it when anybody that has anything has to compare it to a z06. i guess you could say the z06 is the benchmark performance car...

Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Yes, the Z06 seems to be the benchmark here.

I don't understand the attitude of certain fellow Z06 owners though. Why do you feel so threatened by this car? It is a completely different car. Call it ugly or what you like, but you cannot say it does not do what it is meant to do in a bad way.

You are beginning to sound like a bunch of 911Turbo owners when the Z06 was introduced...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't wait to see them driven on road courses to see if they live up to the hype. I would take a Z06 over the GT-R in a heart beat given price and performance - American vs. Japanese aside. It's not a bad looking car.. we'll have to see the results of their efforts on the track. I use to own a 1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - last of its kind before the new 350Zs were introduced. Great car that held its own against the '96 Corvette (LT1) at that time, but I don't think it would have performed as well as the vette on the road courses.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 11-15-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:43 PM
JonnyRottenLA
Advanced

"For comparison consider the Porsche 911, which starts at $72,400 for a stripped RWD-only version, and runs to over $120,000, or the Mercedes-Benz SL-class, which you won’t find under $90,000 new, and can climb to over $180,000. Those cars can barely keep up with (or not keep up at all in the SL’s case) the much less expensive GT-R."

They did not mention the Z06 in this paragraph because the GT-R will not out perform it. They only say the Z will get spanked in a performance per dollar comparison

Last edited by JonnyRottenLA; 11-15-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 PM
07BLKz06
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Glad To See Nissan Back In The Game

I think the last time they had a home run in the US was the last Nissan I owned which was a 92 300ZX Twin Turbo which ran head to head with many of the big boys back then. The car is priced right and will be a wonderful performer

This is from a guy who owned a 911TT and now a 07 Z06.

Last edited by 07BLKz06; 11-15-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the car looks OK, would have to see it in person several times to form a real opinion. The specifications of 480hp/430 torque are good though I couldn't find the weight on the official site:

http://www.gtrnissan.com/specs.en.us.html#feat

I did notice a statement that the specs are for the Japanese market car. Do their cars get heavier or lighter when they come to the US?

As a performance driver I am not too excited about turbocharges and the 20" wheels.

Performance comparisons to the Z (and other cars) will have to wait for back to back laps on the same track/driver(s)/day. No matter the outcome, I am sure it will be a great car to drive, and I will keep my Z!

Dean
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. The car has lots of potential in regards to power: aftermaket ECU tuning alone the motor could make mid to low 500 hp at the crank. As far as looks, I think it was designed very well with attention to it's predecessor (Japan market Skyline). I may actually pick one up after it's been around for 3 years to make sure they have the bugs worked out. The reservation I have is my experience with the Nissan brand Infinity. They made some of the worse cars a few years ago (I-30, Q45) and worse to work on.

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Yes, the Z06 seems to be the benchmark here.

I don't understand the attitude of certain fellow Z06 owners though. Why do you feel so threatened by this car? It is a completely different car. Call it ugly or what you like, but you cannot say it does not do what it is meant to do in a bad way.

You are beginning to sound like a bunch of 911Turbo owners when the Z06 was introduced...
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They weigh about 3800 lbs. Rather portly.

Originally Posted by kentz06
I think the car looks OK, would have to see it in person several times to form a real opinion. The specifications of 480hp/430 torque are good though I couldn't find the weight on the official site:

http://www.gtrnissan.com/specs.en.us.html#feat

I did notice a statement that the specs are for the Japanese market car. Do their cars get heavier or lighter when they come to the US?

As a performance driver I am not too excited about turbocharges and the 20" wheels.

Performance comparisons to the Z (and other cars) will have to wait for back to back laps on the same track/driver(s)/day. No matter the outcome, I am sure it will be a great car to drive, and I will keep my Z!

Dean
Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall , and liked, the original early 70s Datsun 240Z. These cars were raw, bare, light, and fast for the time. Then they got big and piggie over time. If the GTR was a Datsun and claimed heritage with the 240 I might get excited. But Nissan sound like a styro cup of heat and eat oriental noodles to me. Nissan? don't like the name or the reputation. The car's ugly too IMO but young fast and furious fans will love it.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:35 PM
slamar1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

We'll just have to wait and see what happens on the street. We can take, for example, several cars that have "performed" better than the Z06 in comparos, but time after time we see videos of the "better" performers get their A$$ handed to them by a Z06 on the street.

I seriously doubt this car will match the Z06
Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad the car is finally coming out.

Glad that it will be a great performer.

Glad that those who have waited so long to get the GTR will fianlly be able to do so.

Glad to see that the Z06 is the benchmark.

And more than anything else, extremely glad I own a Z06

I don't think the Z06 has anything to worry about. And even if it does, so what. We need more competition. I hope the GTR is a home run.

It will be a long time before anyone comes out with a car like the Z06. In your face performace with daily drive capabilities. How many times have you heard from people who have owned other high HP cars (500-600HP) say the Z06 performance is heads and tails better than anything else they have driven.

Tom
Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Vladcanada
Racer

I like that car! I dont think its ugly its somewhat different! If money was not the issue id own both!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM
BluZbrutha
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonnyRottenLA
"For comparison consider the Porsche 911, which starts at $72,400 for a stripped RWD-only version, and runs to over $120,000, or the Mercedes-Benz SL-class, which you won’t find under $90,000 new, and can climb to over $180,000. Those cars can barely keep up with (or not keep up at all in the SL’s case) the much less expensive GT-R."

They did not mention the Z06 in this paragraph because the GT-R will not out perform it. They only say the Z will get spanked in a performance per dollar comparison
They DO NOT compare performance results but rather performance for the dollar...... It's a HP comparison.

Regardless of what some may believe, the car is going to make a statement! There are a few reports out on this car however, it's on the "TUNED" GTR from Japan. We all know what happens when they come to the US. They are de-tuned and are typically not putting down the same numbers.

Honestly... I hope it does give us a run for our money. Its about time we get a little competition on the roads

What????? Did you expect to be the BIG DOG for 3 yrs straight?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fperra
im sure its going to be very nice, but doesnt the back look like a cobalt???

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Nissan GT-R U.S. pricing announced at $69,850

Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I agree... its not too ugly though i kinda like the alice cooper look of the concept. For power, i don't think it would be a problem unless you want to start modding the turbo's... all the pics I have seen shows the turbo's crampt and i feel that it maybe a problem... though...it's still to early to tell. Also, i would love to see the final psi this car comes in and the actual turbo spec to see if there is any headroom left in the stock setup.

As for that, This car will weigh in around 4k or 3900lbs. Granted, it will come with a very sophisticated awd setup and if the rumors are true; a set of runflats that are the new standard for runflats... that is, if the production tires are the ones they used to run the ring.

So, like it was said earlier, i might pick one up in a few years however, I love the new camaro and if that car turns out like the concept... there is nothing that would stop me for getting one in a few years as well.

Good car, just possibly a bit too hyped since the old version, the R32-34's were such a big hit.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

O Boy! More meat! Bring 'er on!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Andi
Burning Brakes

You guys are in denial. Yes, it's fat. Yes, it's ugly. But yes, it is a major threat. Nürburgring times don't lie. Go watch the in-car video; it beat the z06 by almost 5 seconds. Nice to finally see competition.

Andi
who'd still rather have a z06 but I'm having a very hard time justifying it

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan GT-R U.S. pricing announced at $69,850