Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

thinking about a viper

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 AM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm sticking with my C6, it has plenty of power for my needs!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:23 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

2 years ago I had the vette/viper decision and new I had to test drive both before I made a decision. Of course the raw looks of the viper just grab you and pull you in, but after 10 min. in the car I could not wait to get out! It was extremely tight, the seat forces your legs together. Very stiff and the roughest riding car I have ever driven. You felt every pebble on the road, I would never own one.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Fastronaut
CF Senior Member Emeritus
Support Corvetteforum!

Just rest until the feeling goes away
Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 PM
BACH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had 12 vettes and 1 viper couldn't wait to get rid of the viper and get a vette again true the viper was older i think it was a 99 still it was cramped,noisy,hot,it shook so much when it idled i was surprised the mirrors didn't fall off. and the(at that time lack of abs and traction control along with the hard clutch and not so smooth shifter made every ride in it more work than fun and i was never quite sure i'd make it home alive. the vette is much more user friendly and enjoyable than anything else i've driven. at least to me
Old 11-22-2007, 01:02 PM
GETUSUMM
Pro

I agree with most users comments on the viper. I have been a mustang guy for 12 years now. I have owned serveral Grand Nationals and owned lots of other fast turbo street cars. I have drove two vipers and were not impressed at all. The ride like tanks and are sooo hot on the inside. A good freind of mine had one and became an azzhole in about 3 months thinking it was the badest thing around. I had to put him in his place. Anyway, I am looking to purchase a C6 in the next few months. It does seem to be a great combo of speed, comfort, looks etc.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:08 PM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i like the rest until it goes away,that is simple but great advice.plus there is somthing about those cars that screams big gold chain ,strip club owner to me. just wanting somthing a little different , tried mustangs but i had to mod the hell out of it to get only marginally faster than a stock vett.maybe a buick gnx, or 68 firebird.i just heard my old firebird is for sale and i regretted letting it get away.but still that v10 is intresting and i like a racecar fell,i held out two years on a c6 to purchase a zr1 .i like it a little on the edge .
Old 11-22-2007, 02:36 PM
simivette
Advanced

Originally Posted by don donahue
i like the rest until it goes away,that is simple but great advice.plus there is somthing about those cars that screams big gold chain ,strip club owner to me. just wanting somthing a little different , tried mustangs but i had to mod the hell out of it to get only marginally faster than a stock vett.maybe a buick gnx, or 68 firebird.i just heard my old firebird is for sale and i regretted letting it get away.but still that v10 is intresting and i like a racecar fell,i held out two years on a c6 to purchase a zr1 .i like it a little on the edge .
Actually 2001 was the first year for ABS. They are both great cars, but with different ownership in mind. They certainly cross over as performance cars, but the Viper is really a factory race car. It shines on the track. I'm not a real big fan of the RT/10, as it does have annoying squeaking issues in the top. The Gen I cars were really bare bones, trully the modern day AC Cobra. Early cars (all Gen I's, 92'-'96 RT/10 only) had head gasket issues. That was resolved with a new gasket design that is only available through Chrysler ($ 800 a pair). Other than the fact that Chrysler prices Viper parts like a Ferrari, they are bullet proof cars. You are not going to break them. You can abuse them beyond belief and they just keep going, in fact you'll probably wreck one before you break it (snakebite, don't ask me how I know). Be very careful purchasing a used Viper, make sure you take it to a certified Viper tech before you buy one. As I said, many are crashed and they require more frequent oil changes etc. If the car has issues you should pass, as I said Viper parts are crazy expensive. I can recommend some of the well known techs across the country if your serious. Most Viper guys are current Vette owners or previous owners and will bend over backwards to help you. As with all owners, there are some vocal clowns that mouth off on different forums. Good Luck with your hunt. As far as sound goes, nothing sounds like bad boy LS series motor, but I've got a sound file of my car which may show you that Vipers can sound something other than a UPS truck.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:03 PM
99 WS-7
Racer

I own a 1998 Viper GTS. I am 6'2 270 and have no problems with comfort inside. I have no interior heat issues either. The car is very easy to maintain and stands out in a crowd like no other. It is a driver's car, no ABS, no traction control, no stability control, no cupholders, no cruise control. This is a car that you need to pay attention to when you drive. Many people wreck Vipers because they don't pay attention and drive with skill. I would not use the Viper as a daily driver. There are pleny of cars out there that you don't have to worry about leaving parked on a daily basis. There is no truth to rumors that the Viper is ending production.

Here's a pic of mine with my daily driver:

Old 11-22-2007, 05:15 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

Two hot cars, love the stripes on both!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 PM
99 WS-7
Racer

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:11 AM
stanklr
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Viper's Sucks...I have driven both c6 z06 & 2003 viper srt-10, The z06 is more comfortable, Faster, Interior is better 10000000x than the ****ty viper...Vette FTW Good luck
Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 PM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Never owned a c6 but have owned 4 c5's,2 Zr1's and one GTS Viper. The only one i mentioned i regret selling was the GTS. I'll be the first to admit my reasons arent what a lot of others but 1. it was the car i grew up drooling over 2. now being single again and 25....the "P" factor is much higher with a Viper
Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stanklr
Viper's Sucks...I have driven both c6 z06 & 2003 viper srt-10, The z06 is more comfortable, Faster, Interior is better 10000000x than the ****ty viper...Vette FTW Good luck
I think that is harsh although it is your opinion. I have had both, still currently own a viper and I have a S/C'd 02 Z on the way. The viper is an animal with no creature comforts, it has brutal TQ and you have to be careful with it. I have no issues with feeling cramped and I'm 6'2 215, it also has hi flow cats and a borla exhaust which eliminates any cabin heat issues. The Borla gives it an "exotic" tone, and is one of the best systems I've heard on a viper. Some exhausts will make them sound like a civic and others make them sound like a UPS truck.

I really enjoy the viper, it is a blast to drive and is also rare around here. Unlike the Vettes which you see almost on a daily basis. Mine is a 99 GTS 1 of 22 silver and blue stripes with 7K miles..

I think owning them both is the best of both worlds.

Last edited by AZZ-KIKR; 12-02-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Hokie
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Get Bit
I think that is harsh although it is your opinion. I have had both, still currently own a viper and I have a S/C'd 02 Z on the way. The viper is an animal with no creature comforts, it has brutal TQ and you have to be careful with it. I have no issues with feeling cramped and I'm 6'2 215, it also has hi flow cats and a borla exhaust which eliminates any cabin heat issues. The Borla gives it an "exotic" tone, and is one of the best systems I've heard on a viper. Some exhausts will make them sound like a civic and others make them sound like a UPS truck.

I really enjoy the viper, it is a blast to drive and is also rare around here. Unlike the Vettes which you see almost on a daily basis. Mine is a 99 GTS 1 of 22 silver and blue stripes with 7K miles..

I think owning them both is the best of both worlds.

I love the silver with blue stripes. Definitely my favorite color combo.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I always have a tough time deciding which car to drive...
(The classic Blue and White is STILL worth over 50K. 10 years old. )

Last edited by PDCjonny; 12-03-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
RetardedPenguin
Instructor

They way I see it:

Viper: weekend fun car.
Corvette: Daily driver fun car.
I am about 6'3 and the viper doesn't feel that small.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 PM
bdking57
Safety Car

sounds like some of you guys that test drove or owned vipers bought it for the image and didnt like what came with it.. its fine, but I think there are a certain type of person that wants that car and all that comes with it! I personally love the viper, and have since I first sat in one as a kid. Not regretting buying the C6, but I still which I would have looked into vipers last year. I really dont like the creature comforts of the vette.. and couldnt stand it stock.. but im the type that would daily drive a lotus exige and rips out the interior of his cars. A want a car that goes from point A to point B as angry as possible

Get notified of new replies

To thinking about a viper

Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

A friend of mine owns a '93, because he wanted a rough, crude, street-legal race car. No roof, no side windows, no airbag, no ABS, no traction control; just gobs & gobs of torque. As far as Viper owners being AHs, it sounds like you've tried the wrong Viper forum - there are two main competing forums out there, Viper Alley & Viper Club. VA is definitely the in-your-face crowd, and my buddy stays away from that one. If you check out viperclub.org, you should find some people who not only respect your Vette (kinda like most, er, many, er, some people here respect the Viper ), but genuinely helpful people as well.

I drove this '93 after I got my C5, and decided it wasn't for me. Yes, unbelievable torque, lots of looks from people, but the footwell was cramped (the gas pedal is in the center due to the large trans tunnel) and the V10 with sidepipes truly did sound like a UPS truck. For comfort AND performance, I'd personally stick with a Vette.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bdking57
sounds like some of you guys that test drove or owned vipers bought it for the image and didnt like what came with it.. its fine, but I think there are a certain type of person that wants that car and all that comes with it! I personally love the viper, and have since I first sat in one as a kid. Not regretting buying the C6, but I still which I would have looked into vipers last year. I really dont like the creature comforts of the vette.. and couldnt stand it stock.. but im the type that would daily drive a lotus exige and rips out the interior of his cars. A want a car that goes from point A to point B as angry as possible
YOU are definitely in the wrong car. You're Viper material.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Sword
Intermediate

I have an 02 Viper GTS along with an 08 Z06 and other sports cars. I love the Viper. It's definitely a lot of fun to drive. Unlike a vette around the area I live you don't see one every other block. I definitely love vette too. You can't beat a Z06 for the money. Too many people worry about one car being better then another. There are a lot of great cars out there. Get what you like and enjoy it.

Last edited by Sword; 12-13-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: thinking about a viper