Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Buy a GTR or Z06 !

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Allegretto

You know I have been on this site for a while and I do respect and read a lot of your insite and comments on tracking your Z06 and your Porsches but there have been and still are MANY MANY posts that compare the Viper, Aston Martin, Mustang GT 500, Audi R8, MB's, BMW's, Ford GT, Ferrrari and Porsches to the Z06 and I'm sure that there will be many others in the future. Many of us enjoy these comparsions for whatever the reason ( perfromance, apperence, dollar value etc.)

The only people that seem to mind that much are the people that can't see beyond the Corvette brand or like to put down every other car that they don't own or drive.

I have seen many threads that you have gotten invloved with that talk about Porsches and you don't seem to have the same attitude. In fact up until this post you have been calling the GT-R a Datsun!! The name has been "Nissan" for quite some time now and I think you know that.

As I have stated I love my Z06 and would't think of trading it for anything right now but like yourself, I and many others on this site that own and enjoy other brands of cars that come from Japan, Italy, Germany, England etc and just like talking about them and how they compare to the Z06....esecially if someone is considering or has just purchased of one of these other brands. THERE IS NO HARM IN IT and there should be no problem with people talking about it on this site.

THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT THREADS AND POSTS ON ALL TYPES OF SUBJECTS REGARDING THE Z06, ,PERFORMACE PARTS, TRACK INFO, COMPARISIONS ETC. CHOOSE WHAT INTRESTS YOU AND CLICK ON AND JUMP IN WITH GOOD INFO OR COMMENTS ON THE SUBJECT......OR

IF THE POST DOESN'T INTEREST YOU OR IF YOU "DON'T GIVE A RATS A** " THEN MOVE ON AND FIND ONE THAT DOES!!! THAT IS WHAT I DO!! IT IS THAT SIMPLE. THE NEGITIVE COMMENTS ARE JUST WAISTED WORDS THAT FALL ON DEAF EARS OR JUST STARTS A BUNCH OF HEATED DEBATES.

No disrespect intended just my opinion and observation.

Hope to meet you and some of the other guys like "Short throw" someday when myself and AMS bring the GT-R we will be doing together and my Z06 to Autobahn.

Well, ya know I've been on many brand car forums over the years depending upon what's in the garage. When a new model from another manufacturer would be released it may be discussed in a thread or two and opinions would go this way or that. For example, the Z caused a few threads on the Porsche forum.

On occasion a rare troll who owned neither a Porsche or a Z would post something silly but would get little play, and after a fairly brief time the Mods would suggest the thread go to the place it belongs, the "Other Cars" list.

The Z list has become the "Z and GT-R Forum"now and many who own neither nor driven anything like either go on for hundreds of posts. It seems silly. At least the Viper and Ford Guys actually drive them.

But if that's what you want, fine.

Martin and Eric built a killer EVO MR for me a couple of years back. If anyone can build the solid Turbo racer, they can.

All that yelling, your throat must be sore. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I'll spell it out:

ALL the information thats required to make a decision is ALREADY out there. READ the bloody forums before you ask the same question as everyone else over and over.

You want others to tell you what to buy? Making a decision based on others' opinions is sad.

The outcome of this thread is predetermined, so its pointless.
IB4TL
Old 12-11-2007, 05:25 PM
christopher04z06
Instructor

Oman Supra,

Thanks for considering the Z06 If you want back seats, DOHC, AWD, or Turbos, its not for you though. The GTR or some other options are the way to go.

I would pick a Z06 as its a pure sports car, 2 seats, light, well balanced/handling, and high power. You seem like a guy who might want to customize his car; the Z06 offers a solid aftermarket for both improved suspension (although it handles great stock) and engine. The ZR1 may be fun to play with boost. If you want to advance your driving/racing skills, the Vette's a great platform to learn racing dynamics.

The Z06 uses select technology and sports car principles to achieve its performance. It's purposefully simple to perform. If you want the latest/greatest or a technology laundry list, the GTR may be the way (which kills me, GM execs: please step up)

Hopefully America's sports car is well respected over there by a few folks

...Chris
Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

For a fun street car,the C6 Z06 or a thoughtfully modded C-6 are tops. All the rest are not as much fun.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:18 PM
ADK Dave
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Some of you guys are tooo tightly wrapped , or maybe I'm tooo lose .
Old 12-11-2007, 07:43 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD

I was going to get the Z06 next year, but since i live in chicago and just for a change i am going to go with the GTR, different cars for different types of fun, i can see Z06 being a tad faster but GTR being leaps ahead in build quality and materials plus the added benefit of AWD..if i could i would get the GTR and Z06..
According to this article in Sportauto (use Bablefish to translate)

http://www.sportauto-online.de/test_...8540_14469.hbs

the GT-R takes 4.8 secs to get to 60 MPH, full sec slower than the Z. I think that is slightly more than a "tad" faster.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
TxChristopher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minkster
According to this article in Sportauto (use Bablefish to translate)

http://www.sportauto-online.de/test_...8540_14469.hbs

the GT-R takes 4.8 secs to get to 60 MPH, full sec slower than the Z. I think that is slightly more than a "tad" faster.
First thing is that 100 km/hr is 62 mph, and second thing is on the 2nd page of the same article they say the car does 0-62 in 3.6 seconds.

http://www.sportauto-online.de/test_..._site_number=3
Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ill take my Z over any J_p ricer mobile.

chuck
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Gtr Will Dissapoint So Many When The Magazine Tests Come Out!!!!

How in the hell will a 3800lb car do 3.5 seconds with only 480 horses??? Come on guys!!!! DO THE MATH!!!!! No way will a GTR beat a Z06 stock for stock. A heavily modded GTR with BOOST GALORE tunes and a BOATLOAD of aftermarket parts will give it a run. I owned a 3800 PONTIAC Supercharged LS2 GTO. I know what weight does to your car!!! That beast put out 505 rwhp and spun tires trying to hook up and weigh was a big issue. The GTR may have more bite with 4 wheel drive but it will not trot down the quarter in no 11.5 seconds. Z06 is a steal now if you find a GOOD one used. What is used anyways??? I got mine w/ 1,300 miles and 06 which is the PUREST of all Z06 without SOFTY shocks and extra insulation (ie a little more weight) for 65K out the door 2LZ package. Be patient Z06 BUYERS and find a nice one. So well engineer the Z06...Balsa wood, CArbond fiber fenders, external oil sump, ALuminum frame, titanium engine components, Magnesium mounts, Big brakes, 50/50 weight and ON AND ON!!! It will take a LONG time for a 10 second 2.8 second beast to hit the streets and MAY NEVER HAPPEN due to CARB and FEDERAL emissions MANDATES by 2012!!! The 427 Z06 WILL be a Collector in the future!!! Happy DRIVING!!! Don;t get me started on mods...Easy over 600rwhp at the crank with minor bolt ons.!!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

This is actually an acceptable GT-R thread as the GT-R fanboys havent taken it over yet. I think the guy was sincere, but needs to realize the opinons will change with a trip to the GT-R forum, so maybe he needs to ask a neutral third party. But threads like this dont get much accomplished.

I would consider that 08 viper, even if that hood is .
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TxChristopher
First thing is that 100 km/hr is 62 mph, and second thing is on the 2nd page of the same article they say the car does 0-62 in 3.6 seconds.

http://www.sportauto-online.de/test_..._site_number=3

OK, knock off .2 secs for the extra 2 MPH. Second page is the factory technical data. First page is apparantly what they got from this driving "impression", super test to come later.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by allegretto
Well, ya know I've been on many brand car forums over the years depending upon what's in the garage. When a new model from another manufacturer would be released it may be discussed in a thread or two and opinions would go this way or that. For example, the Z caused a few threads on the Porsche forum.

On occasion a rare troll who owned neither a Porsche or a Z would post something silly but would get little play, and after a fairly brief time the Mods would suggest the thread go to the place it belongs, the "Other Cars" list.

The Z list has become the "Z and GT-R Forum"now and many who own neither nor driven anything like either go on for hundreds of posts. It seems silly. At least the Viper and Ford Guys actually drive them.

But if that's what you want, fine.

Martin and Eric built a killer EVO MR for me a couple of years back. If anyone can build the solid Turbo racer, they can.

All that yelling, your throat must be sore. Hope you feel better soon.

I wasn't yelling! That was a good one you got me

I agree the GT-R keeps coming up on this site over and over and I don't know why either. Even though I have one on order I mainly come on here to discuss the Z.

Lots of trolls on any site thats for sure.

Your right Martin is an excellant tuner and AMS is a solid performance shop they did a great job on our Evo as well and I'm glad they are branching out to tackle some other brands their knowledge in Turbocharging is at a high level. We all have some issues and conserns with the weight of this car ( GT-R ) so we will see when the car hits the US if all the hype about it's performace is true as well as how it will take to modifications. If it isn't the right car for my next project then with all the crazy mark-ups I'm seeing already on the internet I'll just flip the car. I got a MSRP deal that is rock solid.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by heavychevy
This is actually an acceptable GT-R thread as the GT-R fanboys havent taken it over yet. I think the guy was sincere, but needs to realize the opinons will change with a trip to the GT-R forum, so maybe he needs to ask a neutral third party. But threads like this dont get much accomplished.

I would consider that 08 viper, even if that hood is .

I'm over on the GT-R fourms once in a while and I've seen your posts over there. Are you getting one? I don't post that often on that site but I do check it out. They got one thread going on about the GT-R vs Z06 and I would like to jump in because most of them don't know what the hell they are talking about in terms of the Z06 but it isn't worth the time or effort. Oh and the viper hood yeh it is ugly IMO too.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Are you really buying a car just based on the specs?
Yes, the specs are important, but it's a bit like choosing a woman based on her hair color. There is a lot more to a car than that. Besides, just like hair color, the specs can easily be changed with mods. How they drive matters, too.

Just my $.02

Michael
Old 12-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I cant believe that you guys are bickering over this. The only competition that the Z06 has is the Viper, vice versa, American muscle. Not some dumb rice import.

Chuck
Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Oman Supra..

Not to sound like a pompus ***, but think for a second, you're on a Corvette Forum asking the members whether you should get a Corvette or a Nissan, Other than the obvious facts on why I and most other people are telling you to get the Vette, let me just say;

Have you ever driven a Turbo-dependant car before? I currently drive a Mitsubishi Lancer Evoltion IX, and let me tell you, it corners and handles great, best steering of any car I've ever driven, but when it comes down flatout straight line acceleration, it makes no power at the top end and it lags like a bitch. Turbochargers are also tricky to spool up, unless you're okay with buying a ton of after market modifications. It also bogs when I start it from a stop.

Tuning, modifying and maintianing an American Muscle car is very different from a Japanese car.

Personally, I'm counting down the days to when I can get out of the evo and into a new '08 Z.

Also, the GTR looks ugly!

Get notified of new replies

To Buy a GTR or Z06 !

Old 12-12-2007, 04:00 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Old 12-12-2007, 06:00 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
I'm over on the GT-R fourms once in a while and I've seen your posts over there. Are you getting one? I don't post that often on that site but I do check it out. They got one thread going on about the GT-R vs Z06 and I would like to jump in because most of them don't know what the hell they are talking about in terms of the Z06 but it isn't worth the time or effort. Oh and the viper hood yeh it is ugly IMO too.

No, Im not getting a GT-R, and neither are most of the people that post there. The people that know anything dont really argue with me because they know I'm right on most stuff as opposed to the fanboys that have no clue what-so-ever but will argue until they are blue in the face. I dont bash the car, I only point out the small things they seem to ignore in the "godzilla owns all" motto. It's getting tiresome arguing with all noob fanboys with different bouts of cluelessness, dont know why I keep doing it.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

IMO the secret to the GTRs acceleration might be in its gearing as well as traction. With the all wheel drive and 6 tight gears... Might help over come some of that weight. Think about it... if the Z06 could run a 4.11 rear gear and launch at 6k without wheel spin... it would run mid to low 10's stock. Thats what the GTR has! The GTR wont be able to trap with the Z.. I expect 118-120 mph tops for the GTR. So from a roll the GTR is dead meat!
With all this said, my father is considering trading his M3 Cab for a GTR when they come out. If he does, you better believe we will have a day or two at the track together!!! My Dad may be a senior citizen, but he can drive!!! It would be fun.

Quick Reply: Buy a GTR or Z06 !