Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche acccuses Nissan of cheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 AM
NB76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche acccuses Nissan of cheating

just thought this may be of interest to you guys.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/mo...t_nurburgring/

cheers.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

the plot thickens
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Could not get within 25 seconds? For me it's case closed... nothing some of us did not already know. 25 seconds is just too much to excuse.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Big deal, different driver, different days (although they say similar weather).

Nissan should go back, and document everything and slam it up the Germans azzz.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05 '09

Really interesting. It sounds about like marketing politics to me. In so many ways data able to be "fudged" to the advantage of the biased party - just like all the magazine articles that decide what results they want to see and then make it happen.

"different days"? Better go back and read it again.

"Achleitner says Porsche took a standard GT-R, running on regular road tyres, and ran it around the Nurburgring within two hours of its own cars, on the same day with exactly the same weather conditions."

Last edited by Red C6 Z06; 09-30-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Live2Redline
Burning Brakes

It dosent surprise me, they lie all the time and steal our ideas.

Go get'em Porsche

Last edited by Live2Redline; 09-30-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

interesting
Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert

Except they can't because without modifying the "street" GT-R to run faster times it's as slow as Porsche says it is. All the existing documentation that already exists has demonstrated this hence Porsche going so far as to do their own test and then actually publish it for the world to see. The Nissan fanboys will of course protest (it's all they can do with an inferior car) but to the automotive world Nissan has an omelet on it's face.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
fastturbovette
Instructor

Sorry, but you are very wrong.

25 seconds is the difference between a Z06 and a Chevy Cobalt at the N-Ring.

Do you really think that "on the right day" anyone is going to be able to make a Cobalt beat the time of a Z06?

Porsche's best time on the GT2 is 7:32 with Rohl driving. We can probably assume that's about as good as it gets for the GT2. They also ran the GT2 the same day they ran the GT-R and they got 7:34 in the GT2 that day.

2 seconds is about right for "different driver, different days". 25 seconds is not about right. 25 seconds is "no way in hell is that possible" level of not right....

as in... "there is no way in hell it's possible that the same trim level and setup GT-R could run 7:29 one day and 7:54 another. That's the difference between a C5 Z06 and a Zonda F Club Sport or Carrera GT... in other words, a HUGE difference. There is no way the same car has a variance of 25 seconds from day to day.

In short, something smells very very fishy, and it's Nissan
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM
john_uk
Racer

I'm sure I read somewhere the Nissan time was taken from a 'rollin start', maybe this explains the 25 second difference?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Trogdor17
Advanced

there were plenty of rumors that the GTR that made that famed time was on slicks and also a ringer car. this only proves it. just like how all the press cars were over a half second faster in the 1/4 mile, Nissan cheated to make there car "better" than all its competitors to hype the car. Personaly i love the GTR and would have bought one over my Z if they wernt 35k over sticker but its obvious nissan cheated. I think its time the Germans started keeping official times at the 'green hell' so crap like this doesnt happen.

physics doesnt lie and a car that weighs more has the same power with narrower tires cannot be faster, even with an F1 driver.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Red C6 Z06
Really interesting. It sounds about like marketing politics to me. In so many ways data able to be "fudged" to the advantage of the biased party - just like all the magazine articles that decide what results they want to see and then make it happen.

"different days"? Better go back and read it again.

"Achleitner says Porsche took a standard GT-R, running on regular road tyres, and ran it around the Nurburgring within two hours of its own cars, on the same day with exactly the same weather conditions."
by "different days", I meant from the original Nissan testing to the Porsche day of testing. Different driver, different day.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by fastturbovette
Sorry, but you are very wrong.

25 seconds is the difference between a Z06 and a Chevy Cobalt at the N-Ring.

Do you really think that "on the right day" anyone is going to be able to make a Cobalt beat the time of a Z06?

Porsche's best time on the GT2 is 7:32 with Rohl driving. We can probably assume that's about as good as it gets for the GT2. They also ran the GT2 the same day they ran the GT-R and they got 7:34 in the GT2 that day.

2 seconds is about right for "different driver, different days". 25 seconds is not about right. 25 seconds is "no way in hell is that possible" level of not right....

as in... "there is no way in hell it's possible that the same trim level and setup GT-R could run 7:29 one day and 7:54 another. That's the difference between a C5 Z06 and a Zonda F Club Sport or Carrera GT... in other words, a HUGE difference. There is no way the same car has a variance of 25 seconds from day to day.

In short, something smells very very fishy, and it's Nissan
My point is the driver worked for Porsche, not Nissan. The cars should be run back to back by drivers that have no vested interest in a particular outcome. 25 seconds is a boat load of time obviously, but I would prefer a much more objective test, thats all I'm saying. If Porsche bettered the Nissan time in the Nissan do you think they would be talking about it? IF they cheated it really sucks, if they didn't I would expect them back to recreate the run.

Last edited by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert; 09-30-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by john_uk
I'm sure I read somewhere the Nissan time was taken from a 'rollin start', maybe this explains the 25 second difference?
All of them are...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 80 Posts

nissan lies, did anyone not expect that? porsche proves it, did anyone not expect that?

nissan always makes big claims and this time they went after a dog that actually bites back. porsche is what it is and they do what they say they do, no sugar coating. nissan even sent "ringer" examples for the pre release to the magazines for testing. none of the current market cars come close to the numbers the magazines were getting with them. the GT-R is a great car but it was marketed to sell as many as possible the first year. after people lose the allure of the next best thing it won't sell as well.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
dfwcorvettes
Advanced

Originally Posted by john_uk

They are all rolling starts at The Ring.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
dfwcorvettes
Advanced

Why is Porsches claim any more valid than Nissans? I would love to see Porschess driver and Nissan's compete in a heads up race at The Ring; then we might actually have meaningful results.

Last edited by dfwcorvettes; 09-30-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche acccuses Nissan of cheating

Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny how they say Nissan is cheating but then they run their cars on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and the GTR with street tires. LOL

MPSCs are almost as sticky as Hoosiers if you have the pressures right.

These magazines need to agree on one tire to use for testing.

Just goes to show you how much the right tire matters in performance.

Did I mention I sell Hoosier A6 Racing Tires and Michelin Pilot (Full Race) Slicks?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
RocketV
Racer

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
nissan lies, did anyone not expect that? porsche proves it, did anyone not expect that?

nissan always makes big claims and this time they went after a dog that actually bites back. porsche is what it is and they do what they say they do, no sugar coating. nissan even sent "ringer" examples for the pre release to the magazines for testing. none of the current market cars come close to the numbers the magazines were getting with them. the GT-R is a great car but it was marketed to sell as many as possible the first year. after people lose the allure of the next best thing it won't sell as well.
This is an old trick. I remember reading about a GTO that was given to a magazine to test back in the '60's and the WHOLE CAR had been blueprinted! Engine, body, everything. It doesn't surprise me that Nissan was upholding this time honored tradition.

Quick Reply: Porsche acccuses Nissan of cheating