Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

My AVANTI FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

Default My AVANTI FOR SALE

THE OTHER PLASTIC AMERICAN CAR: Just posting up in case there might be someone interested....I am selling my 1980 Avanti (one of just 167 Avantis built that year). Reason for selling is I am buying an original mint '63 Studebaker Avanti and with all the other cars, something has to go. It took me 10 long years to find one this nice. I have it listed on EBAY (sorry cant post the link..dont know how to do that). Its in excellent condition....rare factory ordered color combo of Steel Cities Grey and red leather. 92,000 miles, only 17,000 on a new GM350 LMI Crate Motor. Loaded, including moonroof (that doesnt leak!), Magnum 500 wheels, auto, PS, PW, cruise, stereo with Sony CD changer in the trunk, etc. New hog troughs installed 12 years when it was repainted in its original delivery color in base coat/clear coat. Interior is outstanding...new leather on front seats which show no wear at all. Custom rosewood inlays on dash and console. Wood steering wheel. Chassis and undercarriage very clean, front end just gone through. Original factory order sheet and three ring binder of info. I have owned this Avanti for almost 6 years and its never let me down...always draws attention (a lot more attention than my '65 Corvette Coupe to be honest) and is a great show and cruise car. Email me if you have an interest or know of someone. Lots more info in the EBAY listing. NADA Collector Car High Retail: $19,600.....I am selling for $17,900. email me at gilbybarr@chartertn.net Thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Larry S.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Educate me on the term "hog troughs".....Thanks!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

The "hog troughs" were essentially metal structures that helped provide structural integrity to the body on the frame....they kind of looked like a literal hog trough and the name stuck. They are located on each side of the frame under the doors....they have a tendency to collect moisture and rust out and are really tough and expensive to replace because of their location. Kind of like replacing the bird cage on a midyear!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Larry S.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least I had roughly the correct area of the car in mind (rocker panels).......couldn't fathom anywhere else the term "trough" would apply. Thanks for the lesson!
Will you post pics of your '63 Creampuff when you get it??
Which engine does it have....R1, R2 or R3??

Last edited by Larry S.; 10-21-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:40 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Yep....will post. It is the ultimate Avanti color that us old folks remember....Turquoise with a matching interior. Its an R1 Automatic with factory air.

Get notified of new replies

To My AVANTI FOR SALE

Quick Reply: My AVANTI FOR SALE