Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Just bought a Hayabusa...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
usmc42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
From 70 mph the only reason you would have destroyed him is if he didn't take you seriously. He probably didn't down shift. I don't care how fast your car is, it won't destroy a Busa from that speed.

That is a bike that will come close to 150mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile. The most conservative times I've seen are about 145 in the 1/4. What do you think your trap speeds are?

probably didn't downshift
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

98 c5 with a 427 c5r motor... and a 2006 gsxr 1000. 8" stretched 4" lowered, custom painted and all the bolt ons. ran a 9.8@145 in the 1/4 in stock form, have not run it with the mods yet, but i anticipate mid 9s.
the vette runs 10.8@131 in the 1/4... you can say i have quick toys...
aj
Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuffsaid
Songman, How does the new VMAX handle overall? Does it ride like a sportbike. A little pricey, but on the top of my list. 200 hp on 2 wheels is a wonderful thing.
I have only done a few hundred miles on the Max so I am just getting used to it, and haven't had a chance to play about with the suspension settings to see what works best for me -I'm still breaking the engine in as well.

Having said that I have to say that my first impressions are that it is just a fantastic machine - Yam have put one heck of a lot of thought into its design and manufacture.

The 'wow' factor is very much in evidence when you experience it in the flesh, so to speak - the finish, the fit of the components and the design asthetics are superb - it has an ominous almost 'brooding' presence.

A friend remarked that it looked like it was 'hewn out of a lump of coal'!!

No getting away from the fact that it is a 680lb bike with a long wheelbase - but once underway, the weight distribution and balance of the bike are just spot on, and all in all, it feels like you're riding a very stable and secure platform.

You won't be mixing it with the 600s in the twisties - but that is not what the Max is about.
It tends to understeer a bit in the slower corners, and you have to take account of the long wheelbase when you are sighting your entry line into the bend.

It does respond well to throttle inputs, and if you move you weight around, work with the bike and find it natural rythmn, then you can set up a fair old pace without exhausting the ground clearance,and frightening yourself.

Long open sweepers are rock solid -Brakes are great too[R1 6 pots upfront]
All in all, it's certainly a massive improvenemt on the Gen 1 Max

I'm 6ft with 33" inseam, and the seat height is OK for me, but guys shorter that 5ft6" may find they're dancing on their toes at stop lights.
Once you are underway the whole experience is silky smooth - great riding position, zero vibration - and that mighty motor!

And it sure is a mighty motor! - just endless power and torque

I have never in all my days of driving on two wheels and four, experienced engine response in a street vehicle like that delivered by the Max - just instant --- GO!

The Max is about acceleration - or more specifically,grunt with a capital G - 1700cc and 125lbs/ft of it.
It is limited to around 140mph flat - but it sure as heck gets there quick.

It has variable intakes - the intake funnel length changes from 150mm to 54mm at around 6500 and that combined with the 'chip controlled throttle' which maximises the the velocity of the intake charge by controlling the rate at which the throttle plate opens - just gives instant response at any throttle position.

Yamaha in their handouts, wax 'lyrical' about their design efforts with the Max -The VMax concept means a lot to them, they have approach the design of the new machine with an almost spiritual intensity - and 10 years of development work .

Once you get to know the bike, you can begin to see what Yam have tried to do in its design - they have tried to link form and function in such a way as to maximise its effect upon the rider, and provide the best possible 'real world' motorycle experience.

The look of the thing - the sound when you fire it up -that 'vee' sound - heck you could be sitting on a small block Chevy, and well - when you wind out that throttle!

Just pure addicition - that's the only way I can describe it - it gets to you in a big way

Whatever Yamaha tried to do - well! - for me they sure have achieved it!

I just love my Max - can't wait 'til summer
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
FreeBoost
Instructor

From 70 mph the only reason you would have destroyed him is if he didn't take you seriously. He probably didn't down shift. I don't care how fast your car is, it won't destroy a Busa from that speed.

That is a bike that will come close to 150mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile. The most conservative times I've seen are about 145 in the 1/4. What do you think your trap speeds are?
You don't think a 800 hp Vette will do the same, and have a better top end.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Pride & Joy
Intermediate

Hi - I'm kinda new here...happy to see so many folks appreciate some of the finer offerings on both 2 and 4 wheels! I just traded my '02 Z06 for an '09 last week - I haven't had a chance to press it yet, but it sure feels like there's some good potential there... It seems to remind me a lot of the performance of my bikes - good acceleration, along with good handling and braking to boot. '07 Suzuki GSXR 1000s are my preferred two wheeled weapons - one is a street bike, while the other is a dedicated track "monster"...

The "which is faster" is always fun to read about - if I had to put 20 bucks on one or the other, I'd go with the better pilot and take my chances.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I've had this since 1993. I go to a lot of bike week events and I'd really like to get a big twin Harley.

Last edited by rbartick; 01-01-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeBoost
You don't think a 800 hp Vette will do the same, and have a better top end.
You didn't say "do the same", you said you destroyed him. Yes, I believe an 800 hp Corvette will run with a Hyabusa from 70, and I believe the Corvette will top out higher. But I also believe that from 70 it will be a close race for a while. But that is not what you said.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:40 PM
FreeBoost
Instructor

You didn't say "do the same", you said you destroyed him. Yes, I believe an 800 hp Corvette will run with a Hyabusa from 70, and I believe the Corvette will top out higher. But I also believe that from 70 it will be a close race for a while. But that is not what you said.
Well, I was there (you weren’t), the bike knew it was a race, and I destroyed him.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, I was there (you weren’t), the bike knew it was a race, and I destroyed him.
Good for you. But please note that I never questioned whether you destroyed him or not. Go back and read my post.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 180 Posts

Turbo Hayabusa at Maxton NC flying mile Lee Shierts
260 MPH
got Vette?
an another little fact about HayaBusa power... Hayabusa powered Radical SR-3 street legal production car in England ran the "ring" in 6:55. Way faster than a ZR1, @7:29
Busa's rock

Last edited by Racer86; 01-02-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Twil1ght
Drifting

You do need to consider one thing -not everyone that's sittig on top of the motorcycle actually knows how to ride it.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did the 'Busa look like that you destroyed? If it was red, it might have been me. If it was me, you no doubt DID destroy me, 'cause there's no way in heck I'm gonna run you at those speeds on public roads. That's insane.

CL
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Cletus989
Navigator

c5 z06 vs. GSXR 1000

Last edited by Cletus989; 01-03-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
08 'Busa
Cruising

Congrats on the purchase. Here's a pic of my '08 .... (for sale I might add.....)

Black anodized triple clamp:

Lowering links:

Quick Reply: Just bought a Hayabusa...WOW!