Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

"New" Audi R8 in the 'hood. How fast?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I don't agree with the ugly part. I do think the side panel looks stupid painted a different color, but that is easy enough to change. Other than that, the car is menacing as hell looking in person in my opinion.
I will take one.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.
I know someone with a Z06 who ran with one on a road course. Both great driver's. The R8 would pull away in the turns, but the Z would catch up again on the straights. I'm not one for imports, but the R8 is really an impressive car(even though it's butt ugly) after seeing it run at the track.

But Glenn's a great driver and he has a Z06. I think a coupe would have a tough time with an R8 especially in the corners. It's one beautiful car.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

I don't agree with the ugly part. I do think the side panel looks stupid painted a different color, but that is easy enough to change. Other than that, the car is menacing as hell looking in person in my opinion.
I agree that the ugly or not is in the eye of the beholder. They can look menacing, however, It's just not my taste. Still respect the driver that buys a good performance car, assuming the owner is not a clueless style-miester (sp?) with no skills and no idea what he's driving.

Thanks for the insights, folks.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, except I DO like the contrasting panel. I think its a great looking car. I'd like that AND a Z in my garage!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Softailrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxp
it also has a world class interior
Never seen the interior of that car ( or the exterior for that matter ) In the past I haven't been that impressed with Audi interiors. Always thought that Mercedes interiors were nicer.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Softailrider
Never seen the interior of that car ( or the exterior for that matter ) In the past I haven't been that impressed with Audi interiors. Always thought that Mercedes interiors were nicer.
Wow, you are in a very small minority. Audi's interiors are considered by most to be the best made in terms of design and quality. But like others said, no wrong answers when it comes to looks.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Nice car...overpriced for the power. Sure the interior kicks *** but....for what they want..NFW
Old 01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's got drilled rotors and magneride shocks. Would you put a F55 badge on it?
Sure! You'll notice I didn't bring this up!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Softailrider

Wow, you are in a very small minority. Audi's interiors are considered by most to be the best made in terms of design and quality. But like others said, no wrong answers when it comes to looks.
Yeah, I agree with you Jim.
Audi definitely designs top notch interiors, which is why I just bought the wife a TTCoupe.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For similar $$, the R8 has to compete with the ZR1; that shouldn't be much of a contest. The R8 is very cool in person, though (it doesn't photograph as well) and sounds great (not that vettes don't). If you live in rainy or snowy climates and want to drive all year round, there is only one choice between the two. When the V10 R8 (diesel or not) arrives, it will push past the ZR1 in price again and any thoughts on "for the money" will also be with the vette.

My Z06 is napping (not full hibernation b/c I still bring it out on non-snowy days to keep it charged, ready, and loved), but I drive an S4 cab in any weather on all-season tires (also nice when I want the top down or a back seat). The interior is quality, with more comfortable seats than my Z. That said, the S4 will never see the track, and I can't wait until spring...
Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I've seen magazine articles mention that the base C6 Z51 coupe is faster on the track than the audi R8 and another article state the the R8 was faster..

i'd say it depends on the track and the drivers...

I believe the Z06 would beat the R8 too...and for the money...the ZR1 would simply crush it.

That said there is often more important qualities of the car that would positively impact the ownership experience...

I dig the Audi R8 a lot. I just don't care for it more than the near equally priced ZR1..

Quick Reply: "New" Audi R8 in the 'hood. How fast?