Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ZR1 Nurburgring Record, Will it be beaten!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Chris Harris who is an experienced racer around the Nurburgring has driven both cars around the track on the same day, he found that the GTR was substantially slower than the GT2 on straights and that the lack of power was the issue.
As did, oh, about 10 other professional drivers who tried to match "Suzuki"'s times. Nobody ever heard of that fool but he's apparently the best driver in the world, able to beat all comers by 20 seconds.

I see all the little civic-driving GTR wannabe trolls are back here. What - do you guys all follow each other around the internet or do you all live together in the same apartment in Houston eating pizza and taking turns with the same blow-up doll. Or could you just all be the same person. Comical how they always turn up together.

And now I'll ask the obvious question: what does any of this GTR nonsense have to do with the original subject, which was the ZR1?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:33 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
As did, oh, about 10 other professional drivers who tried to match "Suzuki"'s times. Nobody ever heard of that fool but he's apparently the best driver in the world, able to beat all comers by 20 seconds.

I see all the little civic-driving GTR wannabe trolls are back here. What - do you guys all follow each other around the internet or do you all live together in the same apartment in Houston eating pizza and taking turns with the same blow-up doll. Or could you just all be the same person. Comical how they always turn up together.

And now I'll ask the obvious question: what does any of this GTR nonsense have to do with the original subject, which was the ZR1?
What 10 people are you referring to? And what difference does it make if every one was in attendance for this run? This only confirms that the original times where true.

For one, this means the base GTR will have beat the top of the line GM vehicle. Secondly, this mean the ZR1 will have to pay catchup to both the GTR and VSpec.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I understand V-spec costs over 170,00 US dollars and it is still butt ugly.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by crwtrans
And what difference does it make if every one was in attendance for this run? This only confirms that the original times where true.
Dude, you're as goofy as a 3 dollar bill. Do explain the logic behind your statement. Go ahead, I'd really love to hear it.

As far as who else ran the car, please don't play stupid. You've been around long enough to know all the press around the various drivers and magazines, most recently Automobile, who tried and failed with pro drivers to beat Nobody Suzuki's time. On top of which came the totally embarrassing public Porsche and BMW smackdowns of silly Nissan.

For one, this means the base GTR will have beat the top of the line GM vehicle. Secondly, this mean the ZR1 will have to pay catchup to both the GTR and VSpec.
I don't know what what you're on but it's some damn good sh*t. You do know the ZR1 beat the GT-R's fake ring time, right? Guess when Nissan picked a number out of a hat they decided the GT-R should run, they picked 2 seconds too slow. Of course, using real GTR numbers, the ZR1 is almost 30 seconds faster.

I love these GTR theads They never fail to entertain. Thanks for giving me some fun today - I needed that
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's also keep in mind Nissan apparently lives at the Ring since they are seemingly out there all the time running laps day after day in "stock" GTR's.

Wish GM would've just left their ZR1 in Germany to be driven around. I'm sure even the ZR1 could post a better time if given enough tries.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
later breaking and early accelerating out a corner. all due to awesome handling
Ummmm....except that the ZR1 has significantly superior braking and cornering. The ZR1 is substantially faster than the GTR on the race track as proven by multiple independant heads up tests.

Originally Posted by crwtrans
Sorry, but the ZR1 is a lot faster than the GTR on the race track no matter what times Nissan gets at Nurburgring. The ZR1 doesn't have to play "catchup." ITS THE FASTER CAR. Playing this game of gatcha at Nurburgring doesn't change the fact that the ZR1 out runs, out corners, out brakes, and out laps the GTR.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Idk.... Id like you all to revist the thread started by Mike AKA short throw in his comparison last year with his Z06 and my stock GT-R....

We couldnt do all the tests, but all in all the GT-R did prove itself at Autobahn.

Both hit the same speeds in the back straight. We all know the corvette has better acceleration, therefore I think we came to the conclusions that the GT-R can carry higher speeds through the turn and accelerate sooner and the corvette would catch up.

In the end the GT-R lost by a very small amount of time. I think it was .2-.3 or so tenths.

The corvette had some brake and suspension mods. Mike left his stock tires on the car- a little worn however we didnt think him putting R compounds on would make the race fair. We thought that the slightly worn tires would help offset the corvette mods.

Lastly, we used the same driver. He is a liscensed IRL driver. He said he would have liked to have more seat time in the GT-R as that he has had countless hours in the Z and about 12 laps in the Nissan.

We were impressed.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 04-18-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:46 AM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee Freak
I just dont get it. How does the GTR defy the laws of physics?
Its a lot heavier, and has a lot less hp. So does really it brake, and corner that much better?
Very sticky tires with a very aggressive suspension setup (-1.4° camber). Edmunds has already corded 2 sets of tires in 10,000 miles of street driving.

Efranzen
Old 04-18-2009, 12:49 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Are you sure you want to hear the answer?
Compared to a C-5 or C-6??
Considering the new GT-R doesn't come with a manual transmission, I'd even take a stock C5 MN6 over it.

Now if we were talking about a V-Spec R34...

I don't fear any of the GT-Rs' over here yet. I give them their props, but if they want to start bringing out Vette killer signs and plates, they better be ready to go home with their tails between their legs.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:42 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Idk.... Id like you all to revist the thread started by Mike AKA short throw in his comparison last year with his Z06 and my stock GT-R....

We couldnt do all the tests, but all in all the GT-R did prove itself at Autobahn.

Both hit the same speeds in the back straight. We all know the corvette has better acceleration, therefore I think we came to the conclusions that the GT-R can carry higher speeds through the turn and accelerate sooner and the corvette would catch up.

In the end the GT-R lost by a very small amount of time. I think it was .2-.3 or so tenths.

The corvette had some brake and suspension mods. Mike left his stock tires on the car- a little worn however we didnt think him putting R compounds on would make the race fair. We thought that the slightly worn tires would help offset the corvette mods.

Lastly, we used the same driver. He is a liscensed IRL driver. He said he would have liked to have more seat time in the GT-R as that he has had countless hours in the Z and about 12 laps in the Nissan.

We were impressed.
Okay. What does that have to do with the ZR1 other than being further proof that the ZR1 is much faster than the GTR?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 AM
gp900bj
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTRotary
As far as who else ran the car, please don't play stupid. You've been around long enough to know all the press around the various drivers and magazines, most recently Automobile, who tried and failed with pro drivers to beat Nobody Suzuki's time. On top of which came the totally embarrassing public Porsche and BMW smackdowns of silly Nissan.
Tried and failed with Pro Drivers? You mean journalist Chris Harris. Is this the same Automobile magazine article which was a direct copy and paste of the Driver's Republic article?

I'm also curious. Did Porsche ever prove that they actually ran a timed lap in the GT-R? I mean do we have any photographs or video, maybe a data trace from their "7:54" lap time? I'm sure this evidence can't be too hard to find.

As for BMW and their "silly smackdown" you wouldn't happen to be referring to the Roundel magazine gossip column piece would you. I mean we are talking about a gossip column titled "Heard on the Strasse" in the official magazine of the BMW car club of America which has nothing to do with BMW AG Germany.

You are right about the fact that these threads are entertaining. They are also so informative.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ptindall
Okay. What does that have to do with the ZR1 other than being further proof that the ZR1 is much faster than the GTR?
It shows that some ppl can be very ignorant because they are BRAND obessed.

I have the pleasure of owning both and understand both the positives and negatives of each.

Lets recall all the threads since the GT-R's debut till now. It was always GT-R vs. Z06

Now its GT-R Vs. ZR1.....Which these two in my opinion should not even be compared to one another. Base Model Vs. the cream of the crop vette........ yeah weird.

I guess my argument is.....somehow some way these cars are kicking ***. any knuckle head that knows SOMETHING about modded cars would be able to see or spot changes on this car.

BTW modded GT-Rs are VERY Easy to notice. Any real car engineer should be able to pick up on changes with in an engine.

Cranking the boost up on this car will only do so much seeing as that the fuel system is limited to a certain PSI... about 17ish.

So if the Japs are that sneaky and they dont want ppl to notice lets see what mods they can do..... a higher PSI tune maybe picks up 50hp. You cant do a lighter weight free flowing exhuast because everyone will be able to tell it sounds different. Tires- well those would be the first things to check on the car. suspension would be harder to see but still could be looked at with ease- especially since they are allowing anyone to check it out. Turbos- well those could be tinkered with. I have a set of aftermarkets in the works and you can tell they are not stock. should I go on.......

How much of a ringer could they bring where people there wouldnt notice?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:05 AM
gp900bj
Advanced

I have the pleasure of owning both and understand both the positives and negatives of each.

Lets recall all the threads since the GT-R's debut till now. It was always GT-R vs. Z06

Now its GT-R Vs. ZR1.....Which these two in my opinion should not even be compared to one another. Base Model Vs. the cream of the crop vette........ yeah weird.

I guess my argument is.....somehow some way these cars are kicking ***. any knuckle head that knows SOMETHING about modded cars would be able to see or spot changes on this car.

BTW modded GT-Rs are VERY Easy to notice. Any real car engineer should be able to pick up on changes with in an engine.

Cranking the boost up on this car will only do so much seeing as that the fuel system is limited to a certain PSI... about 17ish.

So if the Japs are that sneaky and they dont want ppl to notice lets see what mods they can do..... a higher PSI tune maybe picks up 50hp. You cant do a lighter weight free flowing exhuast because everyone will be able to tell it sounds different. Tires- well those would be the first things to check on the car. suspension would be harder to see but still could be looked at with ease- especially since they are allowing anyone to check it out. Turbos- well those could be tinkered with. I have a set of aftermarkets in the works and you can tell they are not stock. should I go on.......

The idea that the GT-R needs more power in order to be faster around a track is fundamentally flawed and most people here understand this but they still desperately cling to this completely unsubstantiated "ringer" theory.

At Lightning Lap 2008 the GT-R was some 7mph slower than the C6 Z06 at the end of VIR's smooth long straight but still finished the lap a staggering 2.6 seconds faster. Does this kind of result point to a car that depends on straight line performance for an edge? If not what on earth are we to gain by boosting the car?

In fact the VIR results mirror the Nurbugring results when you compare the Z06 and GT-R.

The GT-R hit a 290km/h top speed down the bumpy Nurburgring straight in Suzuki's hands whereas the Z06 hit 295km/h in Magnussen's hands despite the less than ideal surface. At the end of the lap the GT-R is some 9 seconds quicker over the longer Nurburgring lap, when you account for the Z06's standing start.

Why is this so hard to believe?

Similarly, the GT-R has a gearbox that DOES NOT respond well to high power levels, something which corvetteforum has documented at an unprecedented level.

Once again, how does this fit in with corvetteforum's ringer theory considering the GT-R would need in excess of 740hp to exceed the ZR1's p/w ratio?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

It shows that some ppl can be very ignorant because they are BRAND obsessed.

I guess my argument is.....somehow some way these cars are kicking butt on many tracks. Any knuckle head that knows SOMETHING about modded cars would be able to see or spot any changes/mod done to the GT-R that would be make perform better than a factory stock car.

Cranking the boost up on this car will only do so much seeing as that the fuel system is limited to a certain PSI... about 17 if I'm correct.

So if the Japanese are that sneaky and they don't want ppl to notice lets see what mods they can do..... a higher PSI tune maybe picks up 50hp. You cant do a lighter weight free flowing exhaust but everyone would be able to tell the sound difference. Tires- well those would be the first things to check on the car. Suspension would be harder to see but still could be looked at with ease- especially since they are allowing anyone to check it out. Turbos- well those could be tinkered with. I have a set of aftermarkets in the works as we speak and you can tell they are not stock. should I go on.......

How much of a ringer could they bring to a track where people wouldn't notice?

Hey guys

First off let me say that this was NOT posted by me but my son He must have been looking at the site and decided to voice his young opinion. Although he brings up a few points that I do believe are correct on a few subjects that are based on some track experience we have had with both the stock GT- R and Z06 it has nothing to do with the comparison between a ZR1 and GT-R.

I have my own opinions on this subject but most of the time I choose not to engage in these comparison conversations anymore as they usually end up going south before the thread ends up getting closed by the moderators because of all the mud slinging that begins, the haterade gets passed out and forum trolls that always seem to show up and post their usual unknowledgeable BS.

Just thought I'd chime in here and clear things up...go ahead with your thread.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 04-18-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 AM
yellerz51
Pro

As you may know the GT-R uses it's GPS system to tell if your on a race track. They could very easily program the car to have different tune parameters at different positions on the track.

In the end who cares. No one could drive any of these cars around the ring like that anyway. You would need hundreds of laps just to get anywhere near the time and that's assuming you were a pro to begin with.

All you need to see is this.. The GT-R got it's **** handed to it by all the cars it claims to be able to hang with. Even around the track it came in dead last. OH.. IMHO it's fugly, Nissan should have hired an italian design firm to help them make something that was at least memorable.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gp900bj
The idea that the GT-R needs more power in order to be faster around a track is fundamentally flawed and most people here understand this but they still desperately cling to this completely unsubstantiated "ringer" theory.

At Lightning Lap 2008 the GT-R was some 7mph slower than the C6 Z06 at the end of VIR's smooth long straight but still finished the lap a staggering 2.6 seconds faster. Does this kind of result point to a car that depends on straight line performance for an edge? If not what on earth are we to gain by boosting the car?

In fact the VIR results mirror the Nurbugring results when you compare the Z06 and GT-R.

The GT-R hit a 290km/h top speed down the bumpy Nurburgring straight in Suzuki's hands whereas the Z06 hit 295km/h in Magnussen's hands despite the less than ideal surface. At the end of the lap the GT-R is some 9 seconds quicker over the longer Nurburgring lap, when you account for the Z06's standing start.

Why is this so hard to believe?

Similarly, the GT-R has a gearbox that DOES NOT respond well to high power levels, something which corvetteforum has documented at an unprecedented level.

Once again, how does this fit in with corvetteforum's ringer theory considering the GT-R would need in excess of 740hp to exceed the ZR1's p/w ratio?
Well I will say this about the transmission theory..... with my own personal car. Be ready to be shocked.

And if you read my first post about our comparison, I stated the Z06 would have a higher mph on straights. thasts a no brainer.

My point is the GT=R can carry more speed and exit a turn sooner then the Z06. plain and simple.

BTW, until you drive a GT-R you wont understand how much time you save between shift points and not using a clutch...that alone will improve a lap time. Everyone at the track that day commented on how ridiculously fast it can shift.

Again, you dont have to agree with me. But ill throw this up there for you- if the Z06 is superior to a GT-R and I say that in regards to how crazy everyone is getting with the scientific side. Why is it that it only came out on top in our comparison by a very small small margin. And to repeat again- The driver had hours upon hours with the Z06 and a dozen or so laps in the GT-R.

Lastly, If they did "ringer" it- what could they do that the press wouldnt notice- especially since they invited anyone to look at the car. And again- any person familiar with the technical layout of GT-R would know where to look and what was changed.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellerz51
As you may know the GT-R uses it's GPS system to tell if your on a race track. They could very easily program the car to have different tune parameters at different positions on the track.

In the end who cares. No one could drive any of these cars around the ring like that anyway. You would need hundreds of laps just to get anywhere near the time and that's assuming you were a pro to begin with.

All you need to see is this.. The GT-R got it's **** handed to it by all the cars it claims to be able to hang with. Even around the track it came in dead last. OH.. IMHO it's fugly, Nissan should have hired an italian design firm to help them make something that was at least memorable.

The tune doesnt change at all in a US spec model.... only in Japan.

But lets go on your theory..... if they did change the tune from a stock US spec model its not like they would get gobbs and gobbs of power from it. with more boost and leaning it out Id say about 40-50whp.

It wouldnt shave SECONDS off a time.

Thank you for the video....anyone with a brain would no that outcome.

The GTR IS HEAVY AND LACKS THE POWER to compete on a straighline performence comparison especially with a Zr1 and GT2... AGAIN POWER ISNT EVERYTHING AROUND A TRACK.

Not to mention the GT-R again shouldnt even be compared to a ZR1.... It costs some 40k more. It lost to a car costing triple its cost by .1 of a second.

All this bickering is going to get everyone no where..... Until someone can really prove it was a ringer AGAIN lol ( and I mean show how- not just say it simply because of phsyics) then Id say prove it.

And if Nissan is just doing this all for marketing- then they are doing ONE HELL OF A JOB.....because its the topic on EVERY car forum all over the world......

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Nurburgring Record, Will it be beaten!!?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
yellerz51
Pro

The tune doesnt change at all in a US spec model.... only in Japan.

But lets go on your theory..... if they did change the tune from a stock US spec model its not like they would get gobbs and gobbs of power from it. with more boost and leaning it out Id say about 40-50whp.

It wouldnt shave SECONDS off a time.

Thank you for the video....anyone with a brain would no that outcome.

The GTR IS HEAVY AND LACKS THE POWER to compete on a straighline performence comparison especially with a Zr1 and GT2... AGAIN POWER ISNT EVERYTHING AROUND A TRACK.

Not to mention the GT-R again shouldnt even be compared to a ZR1.... It costs some 40k more. It lost to a car costing triple its cost by .1 of a second.

All this bickering is going to get everyone no where..... Until someone can really prove it was a ringer AGAIN lol ( and I mean show how- not just say it simply because of phsyics) then Id say prove it.

And if Nissan is just doing this all for marketing- then they are doing ONE HELL OF A JOB.....because its the topic on EVERY car forum all over the world......
I am not saying that they would change from one regional program to another rather they could change any parameter anywhere on the track. They have enough capability built into the car and with the number of laps that they have run they have the telemetry data to make the changes.

The video shows that it has great traction but looks slow compared to the rest of the cars.

Then look at the data from the track run. It came in dead last.

When the GT2 and the GT-R were run by Automobile Mag on the same day the GTR came in last. Heck the track was even wet, shouldn't that be a huge advantage for an all wheel drive car vs a rear driven car?

Why else would Nissan be doing it except for marketing?

The cost? I assure you that Nissan will market the fact that the car performs with cars costing much more.

Prove it's a ringer? Until anyone that is not getting a check from Nissan can duplicate the time it doesn't mean jack.

To me it's much more telling to see a multi car test on the same track, same day with a variety of drivers. Other wise it's just a datapoint with too many variables.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

AGAIN POWER ISNT EVERYTHING AROUND A TRACK.

As proved by Mark Jaremko at Portland International Raceway. When he ran over four seconds a lap faster than the Factory C6R, in his sub 200hp Stohr WF1 D Sports Racer.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
gp900bj
Advanced

Originally Posted by yellerz51
When the GT2 and the GT-R were run by Automobile Mag on the same day the GTR came in last. Heck the track was even wet, shouldn't that be a huge advantage for an all wheel drive car vs a rear driven car?
Well you need to remember that the journalist who drove both those cars, Chris Harris, is a well known Porschephile.

He spent 3 years writing for the exclusive Porsche enthusiast magazine "GT Purely Porsche" before moving to Drivers Republic. The Automobile magazine piece that you are talking about is an exact cross-copy of the Drivers Republic article. He is generally accepted as THE journalist who responsible for making GTPP one of the most reputable mags amongst Pcar owners in Europe.

During his time at GTPP he was invited to drive a 911 GT3 for the Nurburgring 24 hour as well as receiving multiple Porsche freebies along the way.

The assumption that the GT-R vs GT2 comparo was truly independent is an optimistic one but even if we accepted that it was, there is no denying that given his driving history, the GT2 would have pandered to hsi driving style more than the GT-R.

The opposite can be said of T.Suzuki, so it's no surprise that their lap times are not similar.

Quick Reply: ZR1 Nurburgring Record, Will it be beaten!!?