Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Calling all Viper owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 PM
bajapointe
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Calling all Viper owners

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 2003-2006 Viper Vert.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Do these cars have adequate legroom? Comparable to a C6?
2. Is there an issue with heat radiating from the exhaust/engine into the cabin? Is it unbearable?

3. Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the newer ones, but my friends 01' was like a sweatbox inside and I burned my leg getting out everytime. Funny last night one pulled up infront of the club and all the ladies were saying how they would rather have my corvette instead!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Legroom is pretty comparable to a C6. My biggest issue with mine is the shoulder room. Although I'm not quite the norm since I'm a bodybuilder/power lifter and have really big shoulders...6' 270lbs. There is definitely a heat issue but it's not too bad. I haven't gotten into modding mine, but from what I understand, high flow cats really cuts down on the heat.

The biggest thing I've noticed when comparing my '03 to any of my previous Vettes or my Dads C6 Z06 is the wandering the car does on the road when the roads not nice and flat. For instance, the repairs on the edge of the road that we so often see here in PA can pull the car all over the place. It's not a car you can just sit back and relax in, you do have to spend more time "driving" the car. But all that goes away from the rush of the torque when you lay into it!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

My advice is to drive a GENIII Viper, it's a NIGHT and DAY difference to a C6 both good and bad. 2008+ fixed the heat issue, otherwise it's like driving and oven since the exhaust runs along side the door sills. Road tracking is among the worst car I have driven (almost as bad as a Hi Hummer), driving position/comfort and headroom are no doubt cramped compared to the C6.

Some think the Viper is a "step up" in the food change and while I think the Viper is a better track car it's incorrect to think that because you like a C5/C6 you'll love the Viper. They are too totally different cars with different interest groups.

If you drool over the thought of driving a race car every day ( cabin heat, mediocre A/C and radio, horrible road tracking, and cramped interior) then it's THE car to get.

Great cars no doubt
Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 AM
RED HAWK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
Not sure about the newer ones, but my friends 01' was like a sweatbox inside and I burned my leg getting out everytime. Funny last night one pulled up infront of the club and all the ladies were saying how they would rather have my corvette instead!
That's because a Vette is a girl's car compared to a VIPER.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 AM
stic5
Pro

Originally Posted by RED HAWK
Oh boy here we go
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Ricketts
Pro

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HAWK

lol
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny last night one pulled up infront of the club and all the ladies were saying how they would rather have my corvette instead!
They love the Vette cause it's reminds them of their grandpa's.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 AM
BSheppard
Pro

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
They love the Vette cause it's reminds them of their grandpa's.

That's a good one.

E.T.A The best advice I can give you as a Viper owner is to take a test drive in a few before you buy. Some will find love, others will dislike it completely. The Corvette can be a lot of things to a lot of people. If you just need to get from point A to point B, it does a nice impression of a normal car. It can also feel like a race car when called on. The viper ALWAYS feels like a race car. It is an event every time you drive it. And like I said, some will love that, others will hate it.

Last edited by BSheppard; 10-04-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Thats great, im sure hers is a stock auto with 2.73 gears... no tailight louvers for me, those are hideous. Not sayin i hate vipers, believe me i traded cars with the viper guy all the time cuz we both liked each others cars.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
bajapointe
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
My advice is to drive a GENIII Viper, it's a NIGHT and DAY difference to a C6 both good and bad. 2008+ fixed the heat issue, otherwise it's like driving and oven since the exhaust runs along side the door sills. Road tracking is among the worst car I have driven (almost as bad as a Hi Hummer), driving position/comfort and headroom are no doubt cramped compared to the C6.

Some think the Viper is a "step up" in the food change and while I think the Viper is a better track car it's incorrect to think that because you like a C5/C6 you'll love the Viper. They are too totally different cars with different interest groups.

If you drool over the thought of driving a race car every day ( cabin heat, mediocre A/C and radio, horrible road tracking, and cramped interior) then it's THE car to get.

Great cars no doubt
I guess I need to drive one before i decide. Thanks for the intel.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Tony2
Racer

Like others said, totally different car, I got rid of my LPE car for my 04 and don’t regret it one bit!! In fact I prefer the Viper, if you want lots of attention and to not see the same car on every corner Viper is the way to go. If you want to use the car as a daily driver I might be inclined to go with a Vette, for a weekend sheer fun car, ear to ear grin, the Viper hands down is the one to go with.

On mine I have high flow cats with a B&B exhaust, interior temps aren’t too bad, and the A/C has no issues keeping up with a black car (Though I am not in the south). I think the heat and A/C was more of an issue on the 1st & 2nd gen.

Either way both are nice rides, lots of fun, reliable, with different mannerisms. But you see my choice, cant beat the power, fun factor, and still be able to drop the top unlike a Z06 which was my second choice.

Tony2
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

tony that viper is sickkk!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Tony2
Racer

tony that viper is sickkk!
Thank you
Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have a GenII, had it for 4 yrs now..can say an '03 would be a sweet Viper to own

Like the others have said, there are trade-off's, I have owned 6 vettes, just sold my Z06 and decided to start tracking my GTS and I LOVE IT!

I put high flow cats on, immediately cooled down the interior. I also put Mich Pilot sports PS2's on, so the car doesn't 'dart' all over the place anymore. The brakes are much better on the newer Vipers too.

My ride

Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Ricketts
Pro

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by levettegrl
I have a GenII, had it for 4 yrs now..can say an '03 would be a sweet Viper to own

Like the others have said, there are trade-off's, I have owned 6 vettes, just sold my Z06 and decided to start tracking my GTS and I LOVE IT!

I put high flow cats on, immediately cooled down the interior. I also put Mich Pilot sports PS2's on, so the car doesn't 'dart' all over the place anymore. The brakes are much better on the newer Vipers too.

My ride

Leslie!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

hey! yes it's me, haha

Originally Posted by 281cammer
Leslie!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Calling all Viper owners

Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

If your post is gone.......No vids/talk of street racin...........the rules.
You have been warned
Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

they were lying
Old 10-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Orsini112
Advanced

These ladies were just trying to make you feel better about having to drive a Q-tip car.

Quick Reply: Calling all Viper owners