Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

01 Olds Alero - intermittent headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 01 Olds Alero - intermittent headlight problem

Hey guys! When all else fails, I always get the answer I need from the great people on this forum. Here's my problem.

My friend has a 2001 Olds Alero (2.4L /auto). The car does have an aftermarket alarm with auto start installed, which I say should be ripped out. She has been experiencing a problem with the headlights, wipers and directionals. Its an intermittent problem. At times they will work fine and others, they won't. It comes and goes. She has had the switch replaced twice and the problem keeps returning. The first switch that was taken out looked as if it was burned out, almost melted, most likely there is a short somewhere. I am wondering if there is a relay or some other control module connected within this circuit.

Has anyone had a problem similar to this? Any suggestions what could be blowing out the switch? I know electrical gremlins can be a real PITA to find and without a wiring diagram for the car I cannot offer much help either.

As always, any help is appreciated.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:56 PM
svoshop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket headlights? Like ebay xenons or anything?

Mike
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by svoshop
Aftermarket headlights? Like ebay xenons or anything?

Mike
Nah, its completely stock with the exception of the aftermarket alarm. We found the problem, it was a short from that alarm that was causing the problem. Now the car seems to be ok, let's see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To 01 Olds Alero - intermittent headlight problem

Quick Reply: 01 Olds Alero - intermittent headlight problem