Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GTO owners-check in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Sparticus
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO owners-check in!

The search goes on for a new (almost) daily driver. Had my sights on a '98 Z28 SS-killed due to lack of backseat. Went on to a low mile '87 Buick Grand National-killed due to reliability issues, lack of parts, and lack of time to fix. I'm now fixed on a GTO. A few questions for you owners: Differences between an '05 and an '06? I know they went with the 6.0 liter in '05, which is why I've settled on one of these two years.
Anything I should keep an eye out for when shopping used? Looking at low mileage (under 25,000) cars right now.
What's the first thing that's going to break?
Possible bolt-on only modifications are in the near future-what do you recommend?
Any good GTO forums out there?
Thanks, peeps.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

Check out ls1gto.com or ls2 gto.com though there both basically the same forum. Some thing you should know is that many of them suffer from colum lock issues that will cost you alot of money out of warranty to fix, and they all seem to suffer from them only a matter of time, fortunately mine happened in warranty. Also suspension will need to be addressed sooner than later. But check out the forums there im not really one to ask cause if i could i'd set mine on fire. But there are others that love them and want to be buried in theres
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Sparticus
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TrueBlueConvert
But check out the forums there im not really one to ask cause if i could i'd set mine on fire.
Whoa now! I'm going to need some clarification on THAT one! Feel free to PM if you want to.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

PM sent
Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
lowazztruck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on my 2nd gto. currently my car has almost 50k miles and i have not had any major issues with the car and i love it. the interior fit and finish and comfort is better than my c5
Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss my GTO. You have to watch out for the half-shafts. They will be the 1st to go in the driveline. The GTO wheel-hops badly so a abused (especially 6sp.) car can be a problem in the future with drive-shaft and half-shafts. They are very comfortable and of higher quality than a Z28 I think. I supercharged mine (magnuson) and never had one problem even after multiple visits to the track. Just don't keep on the gas when it starts to wheel hop. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparticus
The search goes on for a new (almost) daily driver. Had my sights on a '98 Z28 SS-killed due to lack of backseat. Went on to a low mile '87 Buick Grand National-killed due to reliability issues, lack of parts, and lack of time to fix. I'm now fixed on a GTO. A few questions for you owners: Differences between an '05 and an '06? I know they went with the 6.0 liter in '05, which is why I've settled on one of these two years.
Anything I should keep an eye out for when shopping used? Looking at low mileage (under 25,000) cars right now.
What's the first thing that's going to break?
Possible bolt-on only modifications are in the near future-what do you recommend?
Any good GTO forums out there?
Thanks, peeps.
I owned an '04 and loved it, aside from the trunk space. The trunk is useless. I'm in sales and travel. 2D, no space for suitcase or clubs (and I hate golf). GTO was sold.

Otherwise, the car is the M3 for everyman for (now) under $20k.

The main reason for an '05 in my mind would be the brakes. The '04 brakes are terrible. Power is a nice add.

I never had issues with major hop (see my posts on my 05 CTS-V), but the rear diff did develop a faint whine under load.

Go get one. Spend $15k-$20k and you will NOT regret it.

Get notified of new replies

To GTO owners-check in!

Quick Reply: GTO owners-check in!