Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Painting Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting Help Needed

Hi Guys. I've never done any painting, and my kid's durango needs some touch-up. One thing I need help with is the rear pass side pillar, which is the "corner" of the car/truck. Somebody threw a brick at him and nailed this pillar broadside, about 4 inches from the top, missing the rear side window by an inch.

The resulting dent is about 3 inches long, 2 inches wide and about 3/4 of an inch deep at its deepest. It looks like you could fit half of a lemon in the dent.

My question is can I fill this dent with filler effectively before I sand, prime and paint the pillar? I don't think there's any way for me to pull it out, and I don't have the necessary tools or experience to repair the metal. Will this much filler shrink or crack or just look bad after a few seasons?

The car/truck is in OK condition, has about 70K miles on it and I want to keep it for my other kids' use, but it lives outside and I'm not particularly concerned about how it looks, but this dent drives me nuts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default paint

Originally Posted by Ravine Speed
Hi Guys. I've never done any painting, and my kid's durango needs some touch-up. One thing I need help with is the rear pass side pillar, which is the "corner" of the car/truck. Somebody threw a brick at him and nailed this pillar broadside, about 4 inches from the top, missing the rear side window by an inch.

The resulting dent is about 3 inches long, 2 inches wide and about 3/4 of an inch deep at its deepest. It looks like you could fit half of a lemon in the dent.

My question is can I fill this dent with filler effectively before I sand, prime and paint the pillar? I don't think there's any way for me to pull it out, and I don't have the necessary tools or experience to repair the metal. Will this much filler shrink or crack or just look bad after a few seasons?

The car/truck is in OK condition, has about 70K miles on it and I want to keep it for my other kids' use, but it lives outside and I'm not particularly concerned about how it looks, but this dent drives me nuts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Grind the metal first before you apply any fillers. Thats going to be a pretty big chunk of filler to cobb on there. I guess it depends how much you like your truck. Pics would be helpful. Good luck

Corvette Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Kebrock
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
Grind the metal first before you apply any fillers. Thats going to be a pretty big chunk of filler to cobb on there.
That would be a lot of filler! Sounds like you need something like this.

http://www.usaspotwelding.com/products_dentpullers.html

Get notified of new replies

To Painting Help Needed

Quick Reply: Painting Help Needed