Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

How Difficult to Add Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Ravenwolfe13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Difficult to Add Cruise Control?

So I'm wondering if anyone with mechanical skills can tell me how difficult it is to add cruise control to a vehicle that doesn't have it? How much would I be looking at to have it done? Much appreciated. (Obviously I'm not referring to my C6 since it came with it; hope asking a non-C6 question here isn't too much of a faux pas.)

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 PM
T's C6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another forum
Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My old pickup truck i use for haulin sh@7 to the dump didn't have Cruise Control so I cut up some different lengths of "sticks". One is marked 45mph, then 55mph and so on. Wedge it between the seat and the gas pedal.

Problem solved. You're welcome!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Raazor
My old pickup truck i use for haulin sh@7 to the dump didn't have Cruise Control so I cut up some different lengths of "sticks". One is marked 45mph, then 55mph and so on. Wedge it between the seat and the gas pedal.

You like pie...
Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Raazor

I was gonna go to bed, after a quick forum check. Now, after laughing so hard, I might as well stay up for a while.

Sorry, OP. Well intentioned question, but not for C6 General. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I added cruise to a 75 Camaro many years ago. Simple Saturday afternoon project. Worked great for the life of the car. At this point I think the hardest part is going to be finding a kit designed for the car since most cars now have cruise. When I did the Camaro cruise was just starting and there were a lot of kits to choose from.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I added cruise to a 75 Camaro many years ago. Simple Saturday afternoon project. Worked great for the life of the car. At this point I think the hardest part is going to be finding a kit designed for the car since most cars now have cruise. When I did the Camaro cruise was just starting and there were a lot of kits to choose from.

I'm with you on this one....I had a '78 Chevy Nova, with a 305 and a 4 speed manual. At the time I bought the car, I was looking for inexpensive wheels, so I kept the option list short. No A/C or cruise, just a posi rear axle, due to the winter driving, and the HD suspension.

A few years later, I still had the car, and was planning an extended trip. I had an aftermarket cruise added, to help with the fatigue factor. I believe the company that manufactured the unit was called "AMA" "ARA", or something like that. (they also made aftermarket A/C systems)

The only down side, was that this unit took its signal from 4 equally spaced magnets that were epoxied to the driveshaft. Once in a while, one of them would fall off and have to be replaced.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I have done this twice. The first time was with a universal kit on my high school car about 15 years ago. It worked okay but not as smoothy as a factory unit. The second time was a few years later on a basic Chevrolet work truck. I used factory parts and everything plugged in easily for a factory look and feel. I recommend parts from the junkyard along with the harnesses as opposed to a kit. That Cheyenne work truck was a Silverado when I sold it.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'14

My current truck, 01 S10 didn't have it from factory so I added it with no problems. I used a universal kit from Audiovox and it works great (8 years after install). The only problem I had was sorting out some of the wiring as the directions weren't very accurate, but I found all the right wiring on-line.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I just added it to my 09 tacoma, on older toyota tacomas, o6 and down you just add the switch on the steering wheel and the clutch switch all the plugs are there, just plug and play.

Of course my truck was an 09 so I had to do some other wiring to the ECM nothing you couldn't do yourself.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

When I worked at an audio/truck accessory shop I did one. I do believe it was an audiovox piece. Install was pretty straight forward and worked great on the first test run. Never heard from the customer again so I am assuming there were no problems

Get notified of new replies

To How Difficult to Add Cruise Control?

Quick Reply: How Difficult to Add Cruise Control?