Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?

Not sure what the world record is for Modified Zr1 (C6) ..both platforms have been out at the same time ..

Here is a video of the Quickest FULL street weight GTR ( 3,924lbs with driver ) on 18 inch drag radials..109octane drives 100% like stock.

BTW -I love both cars...

Enjoy the video
(you can skip to 1.45 and watch from there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9O3cEC1ss
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was disappointed with the video. I kept waiting for the ZR1 run, but it never came. If I wanted to watch a GTR quarter mile run I would join a Nissan forum. I expected at least a comparison between the two. I see no merit of this post on the ZR1 forum.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
Not sure what the world record is for Modified Zr1 (C6) ..both platforms have been out at the same time ..

Here is a video of the Quickest FULL street weight GTR ( 3,924lbs with driver ) on 18 inch drag radials..109octane drives 100% like stock.

BTW -I love both cars...

Enjoy the video
(you can skip to 1.45 and watch from there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9O3cEC1ss
Zr1 would win. no question about it. A modified Z06 would win too.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

No replacement for displacement, especially when Turbo's are involved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOGoRwwSmM&NR=1
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
No replacement for displacement, especially when Turbo's are involved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOGoRwwSmM&NR=1
Not true at all. Furthermore, there are 4cyl faster than that viper and inline 6's trapping 220. Do not see your point. And lastly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uORyZI1VdU
Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Zr1 would win. no question about it. A modified Z06 would win too.
Wrong again!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAmLc75S39k

Boy I swear, that mighty(supercharged) V10 is fast!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by crwtrans
Not true at all. Furthermore, there are 4cyl faster than that viper and inline 6's trapping 220. Do not see your point. And lastly
Comparing Titan's 10.5 Scion to a full weight, IRS car on drag radials =
Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

I think what Vegas ( OP ) was trying to do was inform people about what is going on with other cars like GT-R's, Vipers and such that are in the same performance category. Also like myself there are quite a few members on here that are multi - brand owners that have BOTH GT-R's, ZR1 and Z06's, etc in their garages. If it were me I would have posted it in the Z06 section before putting it in the ZR1 section since the GT-R is more in line with the Z06 price wise.

This car was a big break though in the GT-R community. This is not a all out drag car but a low 9 sec car that runs pretty much like a stock GT-R ( not as quiet though ) Not many platforms can claim that. BTW this car will probably get into the high 8's soon since it was not running full boost and a few other goodies that were not installed at the time of this run.

When big news comes out about a Corvette a lot of guy over on the GT-R site do the same exact thing. Post it up for everyone to see.

Hey if it's not your cup of tea then don't click on the thread!! Hell that is what I do when for example I see another " whats the best header " thread.

AMS is a great shop and experts in FI. In fact I'm trying to get them to do a special big build on my Z06.

We are all car enthusiasts on here aren't we?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CFHay
Comparing Titan's 10.5 Scion to a full weight, IRS car on drag radials =
I wasn't comparing any specific car. The point is, displacement has less relevance when forced induction is introduced.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I wasn't comparing any specific car. The point is, displacement has less relevance when forced induction is introduced.
You should pass this along to top fuel drag racers, they can save weight by running 4cylinders instead of V8s.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:08 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corey_68
You should pass this along to top fuel drag racers, they can save weight by running 4cylinders instead of V8s.
Considering there are rules and regulations as to which motors can be used for Top Fuel. And the reason they can run so fast is because of the fuel being used. Since you seem to be focused on the amount of cylinders, which would you take:

A) 4 cyl. with 5.0 liters
B) 8 cyl. with 2.0 liters

If the number of cylinders played any role in how fast a car can go, I guess a 1996 V12 Jaguar would be the fastest thing on the planet!

1996 8.0L Dodge Viper-450hp
2007 3.6L N/A Porsche-415hp
Old 10-08-2010, 09:08 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

From what I've seen, cars of this class in the corvette world more often than not have an automatic tranny for strength (among other reasons). Have any of these super-gtr's trannys blown? And what happens clutch wise trying to stick this much power to the ground? If the clutches are upgraded, how is the computer handling it for around town driving?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Considering there are rules and regulations as to which motors can be used for Top Fuel. And the reason they can run so fast is because of the fuel being used. Since you seem to be focused on the amount of cylinders, which would you take:

If the number of cylinders played any role in how fast a car can go, I guess a 1996 V12 Jaguar would be the fastest thing on the planet!

The original statement was in regard to displacement.

When you really get down to it, there is no true replacement for displacement. Big blocks on the drag strip make as much or more power NA as most of the 4 cyl and 6 cyl FI cars.
There is a stock bottom end camaro with heads and com running 9 second 1/4 and its is still 346 Cubes. No turbos, no nitrous, just motor. The strong point of the GTR appears to be in its ability to achieve astounding road track results with an average driver. You got to give it kudos for that.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PaintballaXX
From what I've seen, cars of this class in the corvette world more often than not have an automatic tranny for strength (among other reasons). Have any of these super-gtr's trannys blown? And what happens clutch wise trying to stick this much power to the ground? If the clutches are upgraded, how is the computer handling it for around town driving?
Handles the power just fine!

I've had mine since early 09 and it's been tracked quite a bit on a road course, drag strip, standing mile and street driven somewhat aggressively with 0 problems with the tranny. When we went over 750 awhp we did the mild upgrade to 1s gear and the clutch. My car ran a 9 sec pass on the stock clutch but I wouldn't trust it for long with that kind of power. I took the be safe rather than sorry approach. Car drives like a stock GT-R only a lot faster. If we take the car to the next level where it is making over 900 + whp then I'll need to upgrade to a even bigger clutch package and I'll upgrade all the 1st 4 gears. like my buddy Tims AMS car in the video has.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:03 AM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by motogib1
When you really get down to it, there is no true replacement for displacement. Big blocks on the drag strip make as much or more power NA as most of the 4 cyl and 6 cyl FI cars.
I wouldn't say that when there are FI 4s and 6s on the drag strip making 2000hp.

There is a stock bottom end camaro with heads and com running 9 second 1/4 and its is still 346 Cubes. No turbos, no nitrous, just motor.
With massive weight reduction and a full drag car. It would be nearly impossible full weight, all motor LS1 fbody! Even with the most agressive heads and cam LS1 cars are only making 490-500whp. Unless the guy is running nitromethane and has a shell with seats and a cage.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 AM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by motogib1

There is a stock bottom end camaro with heads and com running 9 second 1/4 and its is still 346 Cubes. No turbos, no nitrous, just motor. The strong point of the GTR appears to be in its ability to achieve astounding road track results with an average driver. You got to give it kudos for that.
Not true at all. There are other determining factors to considering when looking to make hp. We can get into the whole DOHC vs OHV debate if you like. Most pushrod motors need increase displacement to maximize the hp potential they intend to make. There is not one pushrod motor, that makes more power with the same displacement as a DOHC motor.

Since you you seem to be focusing just on displacement and not other factors. Shouldn't an ls1 or Ls6 make more power than an M5 or 3.6 Porsche? Or how about the new 5.0 mustang? Never should a 3.7 370z make more power than an Ls1!

Get notified of new replies

To Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Who said I'm focused on # of cylinders? The Number of pistons mean nothing. It's the stroke volume and bore dimension that is key.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Not true at all. There are other determining factors to considering when looking to make hp. We can get into the whole DOHC vs OHV debate if you like. Most pushrod motors need increase displacement to maximize the hp potential they intend to make. There is not one pushrod motor, that makes more power with the same displacement as a DOHC motor.

Since you you seem to be focusing just on displacement and not other factors. Shouldn't an ls1 or Ls6 make more power than an M5 or 3.6 Porsche? Or how about the new 5.0 mustang? Never should a 3.7 370z make more power than an Ls1!
Are you really comparing an engine (LS1) that was designed in the early 1990's to one 15-20yrs later (370Z)??

All that has zero to do with the the number of cams and more with the heads. You do realize they make 4v per cylinder OHC engines that make as much power. Key to power is head air flow, It doesn't matter how it's done, but the engine that can achieve the largest volume of air the fastest (as well as utilize this air) will make the most power.

OHC have direct advantages to DOHC, weight and size, and packaging are among the most important. I love how many think OHC engines are "new technology" and OHV are "dinosaurs" when SOHC/DOHC engine have been around since the late teen's/early 1920's.

Each has its place, to think other wise shows ignorance.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:42 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Are you really comparing an engine (LS1) that was designed in the early 1990's to one 15-20yrs later (370Z)??

All that has zero to do with the the number of cams and more with the heads. You do realize they make 4v per cylinder OHC engines that make as much power. Key to power is head air flow, It doesn't matter how it's done, but the engine that can achieve the largest volume of air the fastest (as well as utilize this air) will make the most power.

OHC have direct advantages to DOHC, weight and size, and packaging are among the most important. I love how many think OHC engines are "new technology" and OHV are "dinosaurs" when SOHC/DOHC engine have been around since the late teen's/early 1920's.

Each has its place, to think other wise shows ignorance.
Dohc has a very significant design advantage. This is not a matter of car comparisons, but simply engine head comparison. Dohc valve positioning allows for better breathing because a)there are two or three individual valves doing the job of 1. This allows for higher flow velocity while flow rate remains and also more efficient flow, because of two or more smaller valves now posing less of a restriction and creating less turbulence. Also, less lift is required to create the same flow rate. That aside, you can now also position the valves much more ideally. Aside from this, one huge valve requires more force to be operated than two smaller ones. The two valves weigh quite a bit less and each require significantly less spring pressure to operate at the same levels of rpm. We also have less reciprocating mass and have only increased the rotating mass slightly. The valvetrain overall is actually lighter and requires less force to operate.

There is also more reciprocating mass (where rotating mass isn't that much of an issue) and this requires even greater spring pressure to limit valve float.

I can go on and on and on about why exactly there are limitations to pushrod engines and i have many times. There are apparent design advantages to pushrod units (weight/size) but they can be overcome for dohc engines, where the more efficient and effective breathing of dohc will never be matched by pushrod heads. As good as a pushrod head could be designed, the same level of engineering will yield better end results with a dohc design.

With its technology and manufacturing abilities, gm could easily produce a physically small and light fair displacement V8 to weigh no more than the current ls1/2 and be capable of producing more output than either one of them, with the same, or even lower displacement, while requiring slightly less fuel to do so.

The usable torque that pushrod engines have comes from their lower state of tune(cant revv as easily) and larger displacement. Give a dohc head the same displacement and it will consume the same fuel and breath better at partial throttle(also, the higher intake velocity at partial throttle and lower revvs contributes to a better fuel atomization and more effective pumping in general)and produce more torque everywhere, therefore more power everywhere. This equates to greater EFFICIENCY, more power from the same displacement and consumption, or the same power from less displacement and less fuel consumption.

The lt5 weighed about 50 lbs more than the lt1/4 and ls1, which isn't that significant at all. These days they could build an engine similar to the lt5, but with a smaller size and lower weight.

Quick Reply: Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?