Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsches,,UGH!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 911 is a super sports car- in every sense.

I drive a Corvette because it's made in the USA and can compete.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 PM
dbiddle
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
I have a buddy that owns a Carerra 4S - non turbo, but with the wide turbo body. I too wrinkled my nose at his Hitler people's car, until I drove it. It doesn't have the torque that the LSx has, but for a car rated at about 340 hp, it's pretty damn quick....certainly no slouch! Steering as mentioned is incredible.

There's a new model 911 - I think it's the GT3 that goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds....I don't know of ANY Corvette that will do that. Say what you want about the cost of the car, Porsche is an exceptionally well designed and engineered car, has impeccable fit and finish (particularly the newer ones).

As far as the drivers of these cars - it's just like Corvettes in that there is a small percentage that are true douchebags, they walk around with their Porsche cap, shirt, sunglasses, wristwatch and driving shoes. They stand around in front of Starbucks sipping their Mocha Latte and want the world to know that they've arrived. But there is a larger percentage that are real enthusiasts and they drive the wheels off their cars. Several own more than one, and several are really into high performance driving events. The members of the Porsche Club of America do a lot of cruises and many of the local groups do a high performance (road course or auto cross) monthly. They are serious about their cars. Please be careful when making generalizations.....there are a lot of people that look down on Corvettes and their owners for many of the same reasons.

I have lots of respect for those cars, not saying I would own one (I would never buy a German car). You guys need to learn to admire other cars. I love my Corvettes - I waiting 45 years to buy mine. I own my dream car. Have an open mind and you'll enjoy your car even more. My 2 cents....

verry well said, And thats how i feel about it. And thats just my 2 cents..
Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Gunny Highway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh look, another one of THESE threads . . .
Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

if you ant an ugly car with a lot of understeer that likes to spin out during hard braking, get a porsche. the handling of these cars is highly overrated. its just a bad design, but for some reason they have refused to change the design of the car for decades, and remain with the same problem. the 2010 911gt3 has a 39/61 f/r weight distribution. yuck!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:50 PM
txz06ce
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itzza427
Gotta say,,don't See the big deal with Porsche's!! Was our with the wife in her DD(Saturn VUE SUV) the other day,,pulled out from a light onto a four lane highway. A sliver Porsche was behind us,,sung out and gassed it to pass us. His fancy little spoiler popped up as his speed got u,,and that was about the only thing that was interesting!! The sound from the exhaust was a REAL disappointment,,and the acceleration wasn't all that impressive!!We weren't being pushed back in our seats by our little Eco-tech 4 banger/auto,,but he didn't exactly vanish instantly either!!Maybe he wasn't pushing it,,who knows! The C5 even with STOCK exhaust sounds better,,and appears to RUN better too!! It seems they are more status than anything else!! I know there are lots of variations that have awesome performance,,but seems to me that WE have to have the worlds BEST bang for the buck!! Looks,performance,value,,IMO the Vette smokes the Porsche!! Even If I hit the lottery,, don't think I'd go for one,,,I STILL like to tinker with my cars,,and don't think they are "user friendly like our toys!! My 2cents Any counter points??
I agree, unless you have a Porschelet!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:03 PM
wesz0691
Racer

Default poor mans porsche

my first car was a 944 turbo, it was a really fun car to mod and handled great. bought it for 5 grand, then another 5 grand in mods, mostly bolt on, i had about 350 rwhp. 60-1 turbo pushing 17 psi into my 2.5 4 cyl. raced plenty of stock c5s and won by a car or two. but i absolutly love my c5 z06 now and would it would crush my 944. sold the 944 turbo cuz i would break down just about every time i drove it. guys with 911s would get pretty aggravated when some kid in a poor mans Porsche flew by them!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:16 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Porsche with a turbo equals no exhaust noise. Same for any car with a turbo, it muffles the exhaust noise.

Porsche's aren't for everyone but don't kid yourself there are several models that would spank a Vette.

To each his own. I've had high reving turbo charged this time I wanted brutal, unforgiving torque!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not knocking Porsche by any means,,and am well aware there are many out there that can spank a vette !! They just seem to be not quite as impressive from the example I saw is all!! To me it seems a vet is a better overall value!!To me the vette is an affordable,stylish car that that average Joe can buy,drive,, and work on/modify himself!!I think the vette is more driver friendly for the average guy. The Porsche has the reputation for trailing throttle over-steer that has piled up many over the years,,the vette is more forgiving under similar situations,,and will usually give warning before letting go. Have not heard that about Porsche. This is a big country,,lots of room for ALL enthusiast,,and as said before,,NOT a HATER,,,just not a Porsche enthusiast ,,especially after that encounter!!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:47 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txz06ce
I agree, unless you have a Porschelet!

WOOO HOOO,,,bet THAT thing is a little TAIL HAPPY!!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by kerryt1
I like all cars, even Porsches. I drive a Corvette because it's most performance for my money at this moment, and I am a GM fan.

FYI, there are some seriously fast modded Porsches out there.
Porsche is a Porsche. But every year I get a car magazine called 'Auotmobile' who does a all out performance duel between a Porsche 911, a Farrari (I think it was a 308) and a Corvette ZO6. All cars are brand new, and they do the tests at the German race track with which I'm having a 'Senior Moment' right now, to name, But the low down, and for the last 8 years of doing the same test every year, they always say the best car is the Covette ZO6.

They note the cheaply made interior, but they state that really doesn't have anything to do with the tests, strickly "Bang for your Buck" performance for the money is and has been for the last 8 years is the Corvette ZO6 ! No other magazine has endorsed the Corvette in that light for that many years. This does not consider the ZR1 in the tests. But I really hope that the financial future of GM doesn't curtail that !
Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

First of all, please dont compare a Boxster to a C5, much less a C5Z06. Ive driven a Boxster and pounded on it for a while. Braking was impressise. The overall fit and finish was nice, BUT, it was no match for a C5 in acceleration or handling. Basically, the Boxster is the equivelent of what a 914 was back in the day.

Now, the Germans are masters of design. I dont care who you are if you drive a higher end Benz or BMW or Porsche, and youre a car enthusiast, you WILL appreciate these cars.

I love my C5Z. Ive owned 2 2002 Z06's now and 7 Vettes all together. However, the comparison between a high end German car and a C5 is a tough one. The fit and finish of BMW's Ive owned compared to my Vette is 100x better. The stereo systems in the Benzes and BMW's are phenominal. Body panel fitment is laser straight and every gap is equal in seperation.

The technological advances in these cars is just incredible. My 740il is a 98 model. It has navigation, 6 cd and cassette with 10 or 11 speakers sub etc, 16 way power seats, self leveling suspension, rain sensing wipers, zenon headlights and on and on.

I understand the price of the BMW, Benzes & Porsches is much higher and that something has to give. In general though, German cars are very nice looking, have wonderful handling, great braking and the finish on them is excellent.

jm.02
Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Ride in a 997 gt2 you will probably **** your pants
Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
But I really hope that the financial future of GM doesn't curtail that !
Dude, government has a big stake in GM now. Dont expect sucess from anything government has its hands on.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Ive had 5 Porsche's, 3 of which had V8 conversions. Ill put my TTZ06 against my turbo 440 LSX 911 any day of the week and get my *** handed to me. I love cars, its the people with sub standard attitudes I cant stand.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 PM
JerG
Pro

Well, I'm the first one to compare the Boxster to a Corvette and I based it strictly on pricing. I'll go up and down the Porsche and Corvette line up and give you my vote ...

Porsche Boxster $47,600 or Boxster S $58,000 vs Base C6 $ 48,900: I'll take the C6 or GS
Porsche 911 $78,500 + vs Z06 C6 $ 74,285: I'll take the Z06
Porsche Carrera $95,000 + vs ZR1 C6 $106,880: I'll take the ZR1

Turbo S $159,000, at this money, I could be happier in a Maserati GT
Porsche GTRS $245,000 at this money, I would be in a Lambo Gallardo or Ferrari

So, for me, I still don't get Porsche.

Jerry
Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 PM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
I have a buddy that owns a Carerra 4S - non turbo, but with the wide turbo body. I too wrinkled my nose at his Hitler people's car, until I drove it. It doesn't have the torque that the LSx has, but for a car rated at about 340 hp, it's pretty damn quick....certainly no slouch! Steering as mentioned is incredible.

There's a new model 911 - I think it's the GT3 that goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds....I don't know of ANY Corvette that will do that. Say what you want about the cost of the car, Porsche is an exceptionally well designed and engineered car, has impeccable fit and finish (particularly the newer ones).

As far as the drivers of these cars - it's just like Corvettes in that there is a small percentage that are true douchebags, they walk around with their Porsche cap, shirt, sunglasses, wristwatch and driving shoes. They stand around in front of Starbucks sipping their Mocha Latte and want the world to know that they've arrived. But there is a larger percentage that are real enthusiasts and they drive the wheels off their cars. Several own more than one, and several are really into high performance driving events. The members of the Porsche Club of America do a lot of cruises and many of the local groups do a high performance (road course or auto cross) monthly. They are serious about their cars. Please be careful when making generalizations.....there are a lot of people that look down on Corvettes and their owners for many of the same reasons.

I have lots of respect for those cars, not saying I would own one (I would never buy a German car). You guys need to learn to admire other cars. I love my Corvettes - I waiting 45 years to buy mine. I own my dream car. Have an open mind and you'll enjoy your car even more. My 2 cents....
I have to agree with this as well.

I think Porsche really does engineer their cars well. True, it will never have the mean sound of an LSX engine but they are amazing for what they are. The Boxster is a good car but I don't think it's on the same level as the Vette, but for the 911/Carrera , I believe they have put their R&D to use when putting that car together. Though I will always love and take first the Vette in both styling, and performance I won't deny that Porsche deserves their respect as well. They are impressive, but I don't ever see myself owning one. I, too am one that likes to tinker with my cars and the Vette will always be more than enough!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
Porsche is a Porsche. But every year I get a car magazine called 'Auotmobile' who does a all out performance duel between a Porsche 911, a Farrari (I think it was a 308) and a Corvette ZO6. All cars are brand new, and they do the tests at the German race track with which I'm having a 'Senior Moment' right now, to name, But the low down, and for the last 8 years of doing the same test every year, they always say the best car is the Covette ZO6.

They note the cheaply made interior, but they state that really doesn't have anything to do with the tests, strickly "Bang for your Buck" performance for the money is and has been for the last 8 years is the Corvette ZO6 ! No other magazine has endorsed the Corvette in that light for that many years. This does not consider the ZR1 in the tests. But I really hope that the financial future of GM doesn't curtail that !
You mean Germany's Nürburgring.

Nürburgring Track
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring

Nürburgring Lap Times:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

Toque

Get notified of new replies

To Porsches,,UGH!!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
if you ant an ugly car with a lot of understeer that likes to spin out during hard braking, get a porsche. the handling of these cars is highly overrated. its just a bad design, but for some reason they have refused to change the design of the car for decades, and remain with the same problem. the 2010 911gt3 has a 39/61 f/r weight distribution. yuck!
Do you have any idea how many racing titles "the car with the bad design" has won?

They take a fair amount of getting used to from a confidence standpoint at 8/10's or better. But once you do, they are simply phenominal.

Hardy ugly either.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I like porsches....I just don't like the price/value equation.

Overpay for what you get....when you buy a porsche.

PDK transmission is cool technology.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I like porsches....I just don't like the price/value equation.

Overpay for what you get....when you buy a porsche.

PDK transmission is cool technology.

Quick Reply: Porsches,,UGH!!