Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I didn't know where else I could post this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:46 PM
GiggityGiggity
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I didn't know where else I could post this...

Not sure how many people are using SUV's when their not riding in their Vettes, even more so, not sure how many people here could chime in and talk about their experience with A/T tires for their SUV.

I'm looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Falken Wild Peaks for my Grand Cherokee Limited and thought I'd post a thread to see if anyone has any feedback regarding these tires. I hear good things about both and I intend to use them primarily in the winter months, some early spring and late fall with occasional summer use with about 75% pavement and 25% light off road use on the average.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have been running BFG AT's for the last few years on 2 different Hummer H2's..... they are a great all around tire and are fairly quiet. I have quite a few friends (including my business partner) running the Terra Grapplers, they are great tires for the money but are really poor in the winter after they begin to get some wear on them, my partner says they are wearing a little quicker than he would like as well (now they are on a F-250 Superduty powerstroke). If I were you I would take a look at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, great reviews..... this is likely the tire I would replace my BFG's with as they are supposed to be superior in the winter. Im sorry but I have no experience nor do I know anyone who has had any with the Falkens
Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM
GiggityGiggity
Racer

The duratrac looks good but two things, they are primarily a commercial truck tire with an E load rating so there is no mileage ratings/warranty and the real kicker, they dont make them in a 245/65/17

Interesting to hear that the Nittos arent so good in the snow, the tread pattern looks like thats a place where it might accelerate.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Why don't you just up size the tire to a 265 you can keep the same height, if height is a problem, by going to a 70 series tire, it does not throw off the any of the computers like for traction or ABS.

the abs and wheels speed sensor read near the center of the axle not the size of tires
Old 10-31-2010, 04:47 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity
Interesting to hear that the Nittos arent so good in the snow, the tread pattern looks like thats a place where it might accelerate.
They are great when they are new but it seems once they get a few miles the winter performance really drops off (basically after they get 15,000-20,000 miles on them). Once again this is the feedback that I got when I was shopping for tires for my previous H2.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 PM
ruacop
Le Mans Master

Nitto Dura Grapplers here in 10ply(E-rating) for a 1-ton and they are way better than the stock Michelins AT/S series all-around.

They are not as aggressive as the Terras, but they are quieter and perform great in the Winter. I am usually a BFG All-Terrain KO guy but these were about $50/tire cheaper than the E-rated BFGs and much quieter.

If you will not be driving aggressive off-road...go with the Nitto Dura Grapplers.

Get notified of new replies

To I didn't know where else I could post this...