Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Racer
I am a true car enthusiast, the GTR is ugly, sounds like crap and has an interior made for Xbox kids, so what if it is quick, my 1974 454 Vega was quick.

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
The main reason is because you prefer a legendary american supercar over a factory riced out tuner.

If that does not matter to you, the Nissan is probably your car.

AMERICA STILL BUILDS ROCKETZ!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
The viseral sensation of nailing the gas and banging through the gears with the 638hp supercharged LS9 screaming in the background with the 335 rear tires trying to hold on for dear life is a feeling few, if any, other stock cars in the world give you, most certainly for around $100k new. The car is incredible and if you are a talented driver, it's very rewarding. Even being a good driver, I still feel like the car is trying to kill me sometimes and I just LOVE it. It's really a very viseral and exciting feel.
This should be made into a ZR1 commercial! Oh..... it almost is in a way; America still builds rockets!

The GT-R has gotten great reviews, the 2012 model only moreso. The car is a speed weapon with incredible traction, great grip, computers out the wazoo, very high-tech and very quick. I mean 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds, craziness. And it's relatively easy to harness the grip with the great AWD system and dual-clutch transmission. You can't go wrong with this car either.
If someone doesn't believe this statement then just consider yourself a hater; plain and simple! The GTR is a beast in every arena it competes in but that doesn't necessarily mean it has soul.

I haven't driven one, but I've talked to friends with them, been at track days chasing them (them chasing me too) and I've seen them around town (including taking off from a light with that v6 turbo and AWD traction just making it disappear off into the horizon in short order) and as quick and cool as it is, it just flat will not be as exciting and viseral as the ZR1. That's a fact.
...... if you don't believe this then you're not a true car enthusiast! The pro drivers who can handle a tq monster like the ZR1 can run side-by-side, if not beat, with a GTR around a road course and their driving not the computer aka GTR.

Looks are subjective, I prefer the ZR1's looks, but I also have grown to kind of like the purposeful nature of the GT-R and it's big butt with the distinctive taillamps and cannon exhausts, front end is very noticeable too. Side profile is a little bleh, but not that bad.
The GTR is a large car but still looks menacing; especially in black!

So, you cannot go wrong either way. They are two very different approaches to the same solution: crazy speed, handling, braking for around $100k. Drive them both and you'll know which one you want.

P.S. Maintenance/upkeep will definitely be more with the GT-R as it apparently requires dealership maintenance and factory fluids/parts to keep warranty intact. ZR1 is a good ol' pushrod supercharged V8, RWD, best production street car brakes in the world, so maintenance cost won't be as bad with the Chevy.
GTR is an amazing car so if you're looking to be the fastest at the drag strip or even the road course among avg drivers in stock cars while drinking coffee and playing angry birds the GTR is it! If you want to go out and enjoy your drive and really become a driver vs a passenger then get the ZR1. I'm very impressed by the performance capabilities of the GTR but it surely doesn't put the grin on my face like a ZR1(high hp vette)!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert

AMERICA STILL BUILDS ROCKETZ!

Yep !!!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
The main reason is because you prefer a legendary american supercar over a factory riced out tuner.

If that does not matter to you, the Nissan is probably your car.

extremely (and succinctly) well-said...
Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LEAVINU

...... if you don't believe this then you're not a true car enthusiast!
You need to actually look up what "a true car enthusiast" means, it DOES NOT mean what you think it does, in fact the exact opposite almost.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default NOT either or...

nissan needs to incorporate the technology into a redesigned
Z car(which is not bad looking at all).

gm needs to offer an AWD option and include like tech for UNDER
$100,000 TOO.

if nissan were to actually heed my idea, the corvette could really have a serious competitor.

GM GET GOING WITH THE C7/C8.....
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not buy the ZR1--so go away
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

A true car enthusiast is somebody who has an extreme interest and fondness with their car or cars in general. It could be a certain type of car, a specific brand, a certain model, or all cars. If they have a car of their dreams, they would garage it, dust it off on a daily basis, wash it even though it does not need washing it, wax it even though it might not need waxing, and even talk to the car. They would cover it up at night like they are covering their baby with a blanket, and check all fluids on the car like they would be checking the temperature of their child to see everything is better than okay. They would buy car related things like car books, model cars, car shirts, pens, accessories, posters, rings, watches, and other car related items. Money is normally not an object when it comes to their cars. They are totally mesmerized when it comes to buy a certain type of floor mats that would match their car although the price could be outrageous. They remodel their garages with checkered black and white tiles, shelving with model cars, flags, picture frames, and other cool car relative knick knacks. I have seen some super cool garages. Some even have a little hang out area in their garages with a little wetbar and fridge as well as a couch. To the car lover, their garage is their favorite section of their home. Some car lovers decorate their kids room with car related stuff. More than likely, their kids will turn out to be car lovers.

Some true car enthusiasts modify their cars to their likings. They install a new interior, new wheels, customize the original paint job, upgrade the stereo system, and even modify the original engine. They do not think about resale value nor do they care. Most of them have goals of keeping their beloved car forever and some even go as far as wanting to be buried in their cars.

Other true car enthusiasts want nothing but originality with their cars. They would not dare to even install a new radio or a gps/navigation system in their car. They still want the old 30 year old AM radio that came stock from the factory. If they refurbish the car, they want the original type of interior, the original paint code, and the original factory spec. They are extremely **** about the car being original.

So how did somebody become a car lover? I think people became car lovers because someone from their past have sparked their interest in cars when they were younger. It could have been a car show they attended when they were five years old with their parents, or it could be a relative or friend who had a real cool car and the memory stuck with them for years to come. It could be car movies like Miami Vice, Smokie and the Bandit, or Cannonball Run. It could be posters of hot girls posing in a Lamborghini Countach. Others became car lovers well into their adult lives. They could have attended a car show or some friend might have turned them on to a specific car. I bet if you ask 100 people how they became a car nut, you probably will get 100 different answers. Everybody has a different unique reason how they became car lovers.

There are people that love luxury cars and what makes them happy is changing cars every year and driving the latest models. They can take a fifty percent depreciation and still does not bother them and can justify the massive loss they took.

On a side note, wouldn't Nascar, Formula One, NHRA, SCCA, Le Mans etc etc be extremely boring and awful if everybody loved every car brand etc? Brand loyalty is what being a true car enthusiast is about.
I grew up during the tail end of the Muscle car era. If you liked a Camaro back then you DID NOT like the Mustang. If you liked the Dodge GTX, you DID NOT like the Pontiac GTO, it is what made competitive racing what it is today. Look at the Ferrari fanatics in Formula One, do you think they like McLaren? I don't think so Tim. If it wasn't for TRUE car Enthusiasts we would be picking our favorite drivers the same way most women do, by how cute he is, is that what you do? Just askin'

Last edited by Racer; 03-14-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you liked the Dodge GTX, you DID NOT like the Pontiac GTO
Not a MoPar fan, huh? Plymouth GTX.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:15 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

A true car enthusiast is somebody who has an extreme interest and fondness with their car or cars in general. It could be a certain type of car, a specific brand, a certain model, or all cars. If they have a car of their dreams, they would garage it, dust it off on a daily basis, wash it even though it does not need washing it, wax it even though it might not need waxing, and even talk to the car. They would cover it up at night like they are covering their baby with a blanket, and check all fluids on the car like they would be checking the temperature of their child to see everything is better than okay. They would buy car related things like car books, model cars, car shirts, pens, accessories, posters, rings, watches, and other car related items. Money is normally not an object when it comes to their cars. They are totally mesmerized when it comes to buy a certain type of floor mats that would match their car although the price could be outrageous. They remodel their garages with checkered black and white tiles, shelving with model cars, flags, picture frames, and other cool car relative knick knacks. I have seen some super cool garages. Some even have a little hang out area in their garages with a little wetbar and fridge as well as a couch. To the car lover, their garage is their favorite section of their home. Some car lovers decorate their kids room with car related stuff. More than likely, their kids will turn out to be car lovers.

Some true car enthusiasts modify their cars to their likings. They install a new interior, new wheels, customize the original paint job, upgrade the stereo system, and even modify the original engine. They do not think about resale value nor do they care. Most of them have goals of keeping their beloved car forever and some even go as far as wanting to be buried in their cars.

Other true car enthusiasts want nothing but originality with their cars. They would not dare to even install a new radio or a gps/navigation system in their car. They still want the old 30 year old AM radio that came stock from the factory. If they refurbish the car, they want the original type of interior, the original paint code, and the original factory spec. They are extremely **** about the car being original.

So how did somebody become a car lover? I think people became car lovers because someone from their past have sparked their interest in cars when they were younger. It could have been a car show they attended when they were five years old with their parents, or it could be a relative or friend who had a real cool car and the memory stuck with them for years to come. It could be car movies like Miami Vice, Smokie and the Bandit, or Cannonball Run. It could be posters of hot girls posing in a Lamborghini Countach. Others became car lovers well into their adult lives. They could have attended a car show or some friend might have turned them on to a specific car. I bet if you ask 100 people how they became a car nut, you probably will get 100 different answers. Everybody has a different unique reason how they became car lovers.

There are people that love luxury cars and what makes them happy is changing cars every year and driving the latest models. They can take a fifty percent depreciation and still does not bother them and can justify the massive loss they took.

On a side note, wouldn't Nascar, Formula One, NHRA, SCCA, Le Mans etc etc be extremely boring and awful if everybody loved every car brand etc? Brand loyalty is what being a true car enthusiast is about.
I grew up during the tail end of the Muscle car era. If you liked a Camaro back then you DID NOT like the Mustang. If you liked the Dodge GTX, you DID NOT like the Pontiac GTO, it is what made competitive racing what it is today. Look at the Ferrari fanatics in Formula One, do you think they like McLaren? I don't think so Tim. If it wasn't for TRUE car Enthusiasts we would be picking our favorite drivers the same way most women do, by how cute he is, is that what you do? Just askin'
Terrific piece and extremely well articulated. Thank you Racer. I also commend XMUNITRADER for risking getting "flamed" and asking for an opinion here. I have never owned a Nissan of any sort but have owned other sports cars in addition to Vettes over many years. I always gravitate back to my "plastic chevy" though. In keeping with Racer's piece, the Corvette seems to consistently offer me something that other high performance cars have not quite achieved in my experience. Others here have described it as a visceral sensation that is felt when driving it. Whatever you wish to call it, it is a matter of personal preference. You know it when it happens. My suggestion is to buy the car that does this for you.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive them both and see what feels like you. Me, Id prob go for the Z but thats just who I am. Im an all out muscle, more is better, ect ect. The Z will prob be less of a hassle on the wallet when service time come but in bad weather the Gtr would be better. If I were going to mod Id go with the Z too.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Why anyone would buy a car that is not too fun to drive is beyond me. The general consensus among people who have actually driven lots of drivers cars(GT3/GT2/Stradale, Scud) is that it's sterile. If the primary reason you buy a car to say something about you when you drive down the road the maybe a GTR can do it. I mean if your 23 and want 22 year olds to look up to you I suppose. Same reason I would never buy a Porsche TT. Old mans car. Like driving a fast couch. Buy the GT3/GT2 if you love to drive. If you'll likely cruise to starbucks in it, go out to dinner, talk to your friends about it alot and never rev it past 3500rpms then the TT is for you. Personally I love to drive. I love having a wild beast that snarls and spits and will tear your head off if you do it wrong. It's not the drivers car a Scud is but it's really damn close. The GTR is nowhere in that league. It's alot slower(no one races from a dig, except dragstrip). I have met 3 GTRs out on the road and they wouldn't even glance in my direction. I raced one at the strip in my Z06 which was a bit of a joke. 11.2@127 to 12.0 @118. I understand the 2012 is a little faster but it will get destroyed by a Zr1 in most situations, save a slick surface from 0-60.
But like I said if you buy cars to say something about you over the actual driving experience which I guess is fine then maybe go for it. Kinda like buying food that looks better on the plate than it actually tastes, just because it looks better.
How does someone determine whether someone else's drivers experience is good or not? Because its good for you its good for everyone? How is that drivers experience when the guy in front of you is pulling away?
Most people on this board are so biased you could never get a objective opinion on anything but I will wade in these waters for the OP, addressing Spiders opinion of cars and ones he put on his list, probably never owned any of them but he has an opinion on them?
I currently own the cars on his list, a 10 sec Porsche GT2, a 10 sec Ford GT, a 10 sec ZR1 a Ferrari F430 and a 10 sec tune only GT-R, so I am very familiar with the cars in question and have a lot of seat time in each. I like each and every car for different reasons and they all bring something different to the table, but with many miles on each on the street and track, the one that is the most fun to drive in all conditions is the GT-R! Its the fastest at the dragstrip and the road course and is the easiest car to drive fast. Looks are subjective but I like the GT-R looks a lot!
So my drivers experience is a lot different than most posters on this thread who have never driven any of these cars including the GT-R but seem to have an opinion on it. My opinion is go drive it for yourself and then make the decision for yourself!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

my self i would probly choose the GT-R over the ZR-1 if i was looking at new.. the 2012 GT-R is looking pretty good.. i drove my friends 09 gt-r and was blown away... the gt-r looks more exotic, interior is far better than the vette.. my self im a C5Z owner, so im sure my opinion doesnt matter in the zr-1 furom.. i have not driven a ZR-1, but have driven a C6Z... now give the ZR-1 a better interior/seats and a dual clutch transmission... may be a tougher choice for me...
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

You should buy the one that trips your trigger.

Personally, I respect the performance of the GTR and the engineering behind it.

I think they are one of the least attractive high performance cars ever made. I just can't get past the looks of it. It's just. . . . I don't know, odd looking. Not fond of their sound either, but that's probably something that can be changed/modded.

It's enough money you should drive each of them. And then pick the one that stirs your soul.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Trapper Sean
Race Director

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Same reason I would never buy a Porsche TT. Old mans car. Like driving a fast couch.

Now that right there is funny ... I don't care who ya are ...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jamie furman
How does someone determine whether someone else's drivers experience is good or not? Because its good for you its good for everyone? How is that drivers experience when the guy in front of you is pulling away?
Most people on this board are so biased you could never get a objective opinion on anything but I will wade in these waters for the OP, addressing Spiders opinion of cars and ones he put on his list, probably never owned any of them but he has an opinion on them?
I currently own the cars on his list, a 10 sec Porsche GT2, a 10 sec Ford GT, a 10 sec ZR1 a Ferrari F430 and a 10 sec tune only GT-R, so I am very familiar with the cars in question and have a lot of seat time in each. I like each and every car for different reasons and they all bring something different to the table, but with many miles on each on the street and track, the one that is the most fun to drive in all conditions is the GT-R! Its the fastest at the dragstrip and the road course and is the easiest car to drive fast. Looks are subjective but I like the GT-R looks a lot!
So my drivers experience is a lot different than most posters on this thread who have never driven any of these cars including the GT-R but seem to have an opinion on it. My opinion is go drive it for yourself and then make the decision for yourself!
Having never driven the GTR I'm curious if you still feel it accelerates like the ZR1 above 100 mph? I know the GTR has amazing performance from a dig or low speeds, but does it start to run out of steam as the speeds increase? Cruising on the hwy (75 -85 mph) obviously the ZR1 overtakes cars with ease... does the GTR still feel as fast accelerating from those speeds? What's your opinion of the GTR's sound?

Last edited by 4-Sho; 03-14-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR

Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM
corvette C6 Z51
Instructor

the GTR is boring to drive, its like a video game. The ZR1 is a rewarding car and part of the driving experience is the sound, which the GTR doesn't have. The ZR1 will destroy the GTR after the 1/4 mile. The ZR1 is meant to put a smile on your face, and i'm not so sure the GTR does.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

2012 GTR

Last edited by 4-Sho; 03-14-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Real cars are manuals

Quick Reply: And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR