Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I'd go for GTR. I'd first to admit that I dislike the looks of the Zr1. It just looks to vulgar with its stupid hood window and cheesy interior with its oversized steering wheel.

I also don't see the point of ZR1 when the Z06 is going to be 99% as fast with a $30-50K discount.

I think GTR looks unique and its four seats would be advantages to me. It also keeps a much higher resale than corvettes
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
Having never driven the GTR I'm curious if you still feel it accelerates like the ZR1 above 100 mph? I know the GTR has amazing performance from a dig or low speeds, but does it start to run out of steam as the speeds increase? Cruising on the hwy (75 -85 mph) obviously the ZR1 overtakes cars with ease... does the GTR still feel as fast accelerating from those speeds? What's your opinion of the GTR's sound?
I think the GTR with its DSG box will out-accelerate corvette until mid triple digits.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

If Nissan offered the GTR in a stick and dropped the weight a bit (possibly eliminate the useless (for adults) rear seats), it would peak my interest. Stick shift, 3,400 pounds would add some real excitement IMHO.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Why anyone would buy a car that is not too fun to drive is beyond me. The general consensus among people who have actually driven lots of drivers cars(GT3/GT2/Stradale, Scud) is that it's sterile. If the primary reason you buy a car to say something about you when you drive down the road the maybe a GTR can do it. I mean if your 23 and want 22 year olds to look up to you I suppose. Same reason I would never buy a Porsche TT. Old mans car. Like driving a fast couch. Buy the GT3/GT2 if you love to drive..
Pray tell me more.
How many of these cars did you actually owned? Or is this mostly "by-proxy" knowledge?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie furman
30k Depreciation? What world are you living in? 3 year old 2009 GTR's that cost low to mid 70's when new still bring in the 60's and in the high 60's or more if the miles are low. With a ZR1 it takes a year or less for it to depreciate 30k less than MSRP.
While I agree with you the GTR held it's value well, did anyone really pay low to mid 70's? I don't trust the 'net, but wasn't 20K+ the typical markup?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
If Nissan offered the GTR in a stick and dropped the weight a bit (possibly eliminate the useless (for adults) rear seats), it would peak my interest. Stick shift, 3,400 pounds would add some real excitement IMHO.
They won't. It won't be GTR. GTR is about packing the latest performance gadgets in a sensibly priced car. The manual gearbox is a rudiment now.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Brand loyalty is what being a true car enthusiast is about.
How did you conclude this?

Pretty sure there is this "guy" that is very well known as the biggest car enthusiasts around who just so happens to have his own late night talk show. Pretty sure his garage has more than just Chevy, Ford or Bugatti only.

A true car enthusiast to me is one who respects and enjoys the looks, capabilities and/or luxury of all sorts of cars not just the one that sits in their driveway or they wish did. To feel as if one car type or one brand of car is better than all others is just plain closed minded.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion obviously and the above is mine.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 03-14-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

I think a lot of you guys are so use to seeing C6 Corvettes that you don't find it that awesome anymore. I see about the same amount of GTR's to C 6's over here in Australia and I can tell you a ZR1 gets 1000 people to a GTR's 10 people looking at it. My wife who knows nothing about cars always says is that a Ferrari or a Corvette ! I don't say anything about a GTR when we pass one and she doesn't even look or comment on it.
The only advantage you have over a Vette in a GTR is the kids can go in back !
My advice is go with the car you like, it's your money they both are way over powered for the street so make your own decision.
I'd go with a muscle car over a rice burner without a blink but it's your purchase !
Stewy
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Racer
Brand loyalty is what being a true car enthusiast is about.
The word you're looking for is "homer". A "homer" is someone who will irrationally pledges his/her alliance to a particular brand/idea/religion with a total disregard for common sense.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
Having never driven the GTR I'm curious if you still feel it accelerates like the ZR1 above 100 mph? I know the GTR has amazing performance from a dig or low speeds, but does it start to run out of steam as the speeds increase? Cruising on the hwy (75 -85 mph) obviously the ZR1 overtakes cars with ease... does the GTR still feel as fast accelerating from those speeds? What's your opinion of the GTR's sound?
Rolling on, on the street very few cars pull like the ZR1 (638hp) almost nothing can keep up, even the GTR stock can't compete! That being said thats assuming you can get the ZR1 to hook up which is a big problem on the street. If you spend 1000 dollars on a tune the GTR will walk the ZR1 from a dig and pull it from almost any speed up to well over 140 mph. My buddies tuned only GTR which is about a tenth slower than mine in the 1/4 mile just ran a 7.05 60 to 130 mph, and I don't think you are going to see the ZR1 get anywhere close to that. The GTR sounds good, driving on the street, with its torque and everything it reminds me of a big block Pontiac 455.

Last edited by jamie furman; 03-14-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Rolling on, on the street very few cars pull like the ZR1 (638hp) almost nothing can keep up, even the GTR stock can't compete! That being said thats assuming you can get the ZR1 to hook up which is a big problem on the street. If you spend 1000 dollars on a tune the GTR will walk the ZR1 from a dig and pull it from almost any speed up to well over 140 mph. My buddies tuned only GTR which is about a tenth slower than mine in the 1/4 mile just ran a 7.05 60 to 130 mph, and I don't think you are going to see the ZR1 get anywhere close to that. The GTR sounds good, driving on the street, with its torque and everything it reminds me of a big block Pontiac 455.
What happens when you drop a thousand in the ZR1?

To the OP, you might wait to see the C7...
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torched
Real cars are manuals
Really? What a joke!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr turbo rotary
What happens when you drop a thousand in the ZR1?

To the OP, you might wait to see the C7...
Nothing, you can't even buy wheels and tires for a 1000!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
While I agree with you the GTR held it's value well, did anyone really pay low to mid 70's? I don't trust the 'net, but wasn't 20K+ the typical markup?
I paid 74k for mine.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PeterK
The word you're looking for is "homer". A "homer" is someone who will irrationally pledges his/her alliance to a particular brand/idea/religion with a total disregard for common sense.

Exactly! About 98% of the Corvette owners on this board.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting. I'm monitoring the situation with the 2012 Black Editions... if Nissan Japan can get production going again in a couple months I might seriously consider picking up one.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been torn with this one, too. I have kids; the Nissan has back seats. I live where it snows; I would not hesitate to put snow tires on the GTR and drive it every day. The seats seem better than the Z's and even have slots for 5 point harnesses. The performance is pretty damn close, and I drove a GTR at Exotics Racing in Vegas. I was impressed with the acceleration and handling.

For me, a few things swayed my decision (I'm picking up at NCM 3/31!!). I think there will not be another 638 hp vette from BG any time soon. I have a Z06 that I loved taking to the track but it gets a little old switching to track tires and brakes. I plan to leave the Z stock besides DOT 4 at least for now, while I'm not sure the stock GTR brakes are up for true HPDE duty. The car is also so heavy that it has to go through brakes and tires faster at the track (never really thought about it until I was talking to a Lotus Exige driver who got way more miles out of his tires and brakes than I do in the Z06). I like the ZR1's looks better, but I have to admit the GTR is an acquired taste, like lox. Wish I could have both but for now I'll be happy with my new Z. Good luck with your decision; I hope the availability factor isn't too much of an issue with the disaster in Japan.

Get notified of new replies

To And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR

Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
The main reason is because you prefer a legendary american supercar over a factory riced out tuner.
One car is built on a bespoke platform, with a transmission, interior, engine, and AWD drivetrain not shared with any car in the company's lineup. Plus much better aerodynamics development.
The other is based largely on a $75k car (itself already largely based one costing $50k) with an interior fit for cars half that price and a cheeseball plastic cover on the hood. You must have some pretty nice riced out tuners in your area.

Originally Posted by 355Spider
The general consensus among people who have actually driven lots of drivers cars(GT3/GT2/Stradale, Scud) is that it's sterile.
Couldn't the same be said of the ZR1?

Originally Posted by corvette C6 Z51
the GTR is boring to drive, its like a video game.
I doubt you have driven one.

Originally Posted by Torched
Real cars are manuals
Enzo, 599 GTO; LP670-4; Zonda Cinque; McLaren MP4-12C; all F1 cars; all top-fuel dragsters. I would argue that these are real cars too, no less so than a Ford Focus with a manual transmission.

That being said...

For someone who prefers to row their own gears, do their own heel & toeing, the manual in the ZR1 might be a huge plus. And I say "might" because the reviews on its transmission are mixed. Some are fine with it, some have likened it to trying to move an arthritic limb in the wrong direction. The GT-R may be a bit less involving, but if you prefer precision this could be a non-issue.
"The twin-clutch upshifts have more in common with automatic rifle fire than meshing cogs.
Normally a tactile delight, the R8's open-gate manual shift suddenly feels clumsy and slow."

--Evo Magazine

As for reasons to pick the ZR1:
It's low, sleek, in the classically beautiful sports car way.
Faster from a roll.
The exhaust is more vocal.
Lower maintenance (though to correct an earlier point, one does not have to take the GT-R to the dealer for fluid changes to keep the warranty; doing so at home, and keeping receipts, or taking it to an independent does not void the warranty).
If on the fence about choosing between two overall evenly matched products, go local. Support your local economy.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Exactly! About 98% of the Corvette owners on this board.
totally!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

If you spend 1000 dollars on a tune the GTR will walk the ZR1 from a dig and pull it from almost any speed up to 140mph.
What kind of power are tuned GTR's making?

Quick Reply: And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR