Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Motorhome help....cold start

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Default Motorhome help....cold start

Looks like this is the only place I can ask for this sort of help. You'll find me in C5 Gen most of the time.

I'm having issue with my 1984 Class C Chevy with a 350. I tried starting it a few weeks back after sitting for a while. Found a bad distributor rotor and replaced the cap and roter...it has the coil built in (HEI).

So it has spark and I pulled the doghouse off and primed the carb with gas. Bingo.....got it started after some coaxing. Choke is shut and working fine. Runs fine when started.

So a week goes by and same problem ....no start....sprayed starting fluid through the air cleaner while cranking (dog house is on) and again it started and ran fine.

Week later......one pump....started good.

Today...a week later....no start again. If I pump it, I can smell fuel so I'm not sure the accelerator pump is bad and it would seem the cranking would refill the float chambers if they are bleeding out.

This thing has never been a problem starting so I'm baffled for now. It only has 84 K on the clock so wouldn't seem like a carb rebuild is needed.

Does it have a cold idle solenoid?

Anybody have other ideas. It's a bear to work on in that position.

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

ttt