Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

From Z06 to GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
I might agree with them. I'm thinking if I sell my z, I'm moving into a gtr. It's just more of everyday kinda car with versatility.
But.. I know I would still miss my Z06. I wish I could have both actually.
Aj
Really? I've heard just the opposite.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

No doubt the GT-R is a great machine.

But I see no reason to trade just to have a quicker 0-60 time.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzk
great car to move to, hope to add it to my garage some day. but not letting go the big block!
LS7 is a small block. Just sayin.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
BLOWNALKY01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
No doubt the GT-R is a great machine.

But I see no reason to trade just to have a quicker 0-60 time.
Boo-Yah!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
btrapps
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erichg1000
The same brake mod will perform better on a z than a gtr because z has less mass to slow down its simple physics
I have never seen any brake fade on any stock GT-R's that are tracked. The brakes, as I mentioned above, are insane! Mizuno actually designed the car to be heavier to keep the car planted. It definitely works. You should drive one, they are a mystery!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My opinion is that this is pretty simple:
Z = emotion (at least for me). Big v8, rumbles, shakes, roars, raw, makes your adreanline rush
GTR = best stats / best on paper / arguably more versatile - but lack the emotion of the Z
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
btrapps
Advanced

Originally Posted by EViL427
As a car guy, I really like the GTR and respect it for what it is and what it can do. However, I just love the old school muscle car power and the thrill of being behind the wheel of a car that acts like it wants to kill me whenever I mash the throttle.
I love your comment! It mirrors how I feel about my Z! I love the sideways American muscle! You can NEVER get that from any Japanese or European car.

Obviously the guy is considering the GT-R and needs some decent information, not the standard "I don't like it cuz it's ugly". As I mentioned before, short of Ranger next to me at a light, I will destroy anyone from a dig in my GT-R The thing launches like a pro stock dragster!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
btrapps
Advanced

Originally Posted by goatts
Really? I've heard just the opposite.
Negative.. The GT-R has a "save" button that you flip that makes the tranny shift like a Cadillac. You can also switch the suspension to comfort mode and it really is pretty smooth and comfortable to drive around. Even if my Z was a more compliant ride, the dual clutch tranny is so easy to live with daily it automatically wins.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
BLOWNALKY01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by btrapps
I have never seen any brake fade on any stock GT-R's that are tracked. The brakes, as I mentioned above, are insane! Mizuno actually designed the car to be heavier to keep the car planted. It definitely works. You should drive one, they are a mystery!
Okay. That's just funny. There's no "mystery", physics remains in control, OK. In one of the magazine tests they commented on brake fade. I believe it was one of the "Lightning Lap" articles. If I remember correctly, the 370Z suffered severe brake fade and the writer then commented about experiencing the same thing in the GTR. Only without the ensuing carnage. They have probably upgraded since that time, but there is your example.

Jack.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

That makes no sense, and goes against proven racing and high performance philosophies.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
btrapps
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLOWNALKY01
Okay. That's just funny. There's no "mystery", physics remains in control, OK. In one of the magazine tests they commented on brake fade. I believe it was one of the "Lightning Lap" articles. If I remember correctly, the 370Z suffered severe brake fade and the writer then commented about experiencing the same thing in the GTR. Only without the ensuing carnage. They have probably upgraded since that time, but there is your example.

Jack.
I can definitely see how it could happen, I have just never seen it. OR I probably don't drive hard enough to get there. I had a 650 hp 911 Turbo that I tracked regularly and I got some major fade on those brakes with Carbotech pads on 2 different track days. I am not saying weight doesn't wear out parts, I was just commenting on how a heavy car like the GT-R does a lot of things well despite it being a "pig".

Later,
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM
BLOWNALKY01
Burning Brakes

I can definitely see how it could happen, I have just never seen it. OR I probably don't drive hard enough to get there. I had a 650 hp 911 Turbo that I tracked regularly and I got some major fade on those brakes with Carbotech pads on 2 different track days. I am not saying weight doesn't wear out parts, I was just commenting on how a heavy car like the GT-R does a lot of things well despite it being a "pig".

Later,
Point taken.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I owned a 1989 Nissan Skyline, which I loved (I lived in Okinawa Japan while in USMC). I think the Z06 is awesome car and the community is fantastic. One reason I would not get rid of my Z is because of all the different trips our local clubs put together. Actually that is also the reason I do not own a Porsche. In my opinion, the crowd that owns Porsche, GTRs, Ferraris and Lambos just tends to be more stuck up, less open.

For me its about power as well as the community.

BTW I am not some old geezer either. Lots of these outing are track outings. We did one last year on a closed airfield. Amazing time!!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
BLOWNALKY01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HyperX
I owned a 1989 Nissan Skyline, which I loved (I lived in Okinawa Japan while in USMC). I think the Z06 is awesome car and the community is fantastic. One reason I would not get rid of my Z is because of all the different trips our local clubs put together. Actually that is also the reason I do not own a Porsche. In my opinion, the crowd that owns Porsche, GTRs, Ferraris and Lambos just tends to be more stuck up, less open.

For me its about power as well as the community.

BTW I am not some old geezer either. Lots of these outing are track outings. We did one last year on a closed airfield. Amazing time!!
I agree! For the most part, Corvette owners aren't rich or privileged. We've been somewhat successful in our endeavors and life hasn't crapped on us too much. Just regular Joe's havin' fun.

Jack.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BLOWNALKY01
I agree! For the most part, Corvette owners aren't rich or privileged. We've been somewhat successful in our endeavors and life hasn't crapped on us too much. Just regular Joe's havin' fun.

Jack.
Funny you mention that. I would say 60% of my club is made up of guys who are small business owners. Who risked it all (or close to it) and now are enjoying life. The other 40% are hard working folks who enjoy every drop of fun our corvettes provide us.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FLC6
I have owned two C6's and LOVED both of them!

I have owned my GT-R for a year and a half and LOVE it.

I love all cars. Doesn't matter if they are American, Japanese, Italian or German et.

It will be VERY hard though to part with all wheel drive and a DCT transmission. Running 10.7 @ 130mph actually feels a bit slow to me these days....

One BIG problem the Z06 and ZR1 are notorious for is heat soak and that's unacceptable to me.

You can hop lap any GT-R all day and it it's performance won't decrees.

I'm not a brand ***** and I'm proud of it!

My man... WELL SAID amigo!!!!

I'm like you, to me it is all about style, performance and value and IMO, the GT-R's and the Z06's fit the bill - however, the Z06 looks meaner.

I currently in the process of moving into a new play platform and although my wife likes the GT-R better (looks wise) vs the 997 911, chances are I will stick to my gut and get the P-car.

Yes, the GT-R is fast and its a monster once modified correctly, but the P-car just seems to hit me better from all angles [in & out] if you know what I mean. I know it cost more but I like it more

The Z06 will remain in my camp as my raw put the smackdown car.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-24-2012, 03:14 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I love your comment! It mirrors how I feel about my Z! I love the sideways American muscle! You can NEVER get that from any Japanese or European car.

Obviously the guy is considering the GT-R and needs some decent information, not the standard "I don't like it cuz it's ugly". As I mentioned before, short of Ranger next to me at a light, I will destroy anyone from a dig in my GT-R The thing launches like a pro stock dragster!
Thanks, but I can't take full credit for it. Paraphrased from this article:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz1jkUDRux9

The author summed up my sentiments exactly:

My first day driving the $101,760 Z06 Centennial (base models start at $75,600), all I could think of was that my hundred large would be better spent on a lightly optioned 991 Carrera S, or if I felt like roughing it, a fairly loaded Cayman R. But neither the new 911 or the lightweight Cayman feel like they want to kill you. They're not adversarial. The Z06 is a machine to be tamed, to be learned, to be both beaten and finessed. It's a widowmaker in a tradition that Porsche once owned with the original 911 Turbo. It's a throwback to those ‘80s supercars. The Z06 demands to be driven and offers no quarter for those who are dumb enough not to take heed. It will also happily lope along at the speed limit in traffic. The clutch is heavy yet supremely progressive, and the rifle-bolt shifter smacks into the gates with a satisfying thunk. The natural impulse would be to take it to Laguna Seca. I didn't take it to Laguna Seca. Instead, I drove it to the local convenience store for a late-night snack.

Get notified of new replies

To From Z06 to GT-R

Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been in a few, driven 3, and stock for stock I wouldn't want a GTR they are boring and slow to me.

If you have driven a 590awhp variant I promise your opinion as mine did will drastically change. It sounds pissed and puts a bus length on my now 549rwhp Z.

Rwd you get to a point its too much spin and you gave to run a compromising tire.

I will have a GTR not selling the Z though I love it too I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

The brakes on the GT-R are ridiculous.. Why would they give out? Have you ever even driven a GT-R?
Uh, no, I was behind one on the track when his brakes overheated and he had to start waaay early-braking. All the while I was driving deeper into the corners than he was before braking.

Care for proof? Sure. FFWD to about 3:30 and watch as I let the modded GT-R pass me (driver knew what he was doing). Then stay glued to your seat as I just stay glued to his ***. You'll note later in the video as he starts pumping his brakes. Know why? Brake fade and fluid boil. That's why.

(He admitted to as much afterward).

jas
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
btrapps
Advanced

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
That makes no sense, and goes against proven racing and high performance philosophies.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/kaz...2-23?imageNo=0

He made the car the same weight as a typical F-1 car supposedly. Check it out.

Quick Reply: From Z06 to GT-R