Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Replaced my z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished having everything but the doors, hatch, and rear-bumper wrapped in Ventureshield Ultra. Going to let it dry and pick her up Monday, then to the Tint shop for F1 Ceramic 30%.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
I think part of being an enthusiast is sampling the field. A car enthusiast who only buys one brand is like a womanizer who only sleeps with one woman. Boring.
So box wine refines one's taste for finer wine?
You did say CRUZE, Right?
As for your interior comments; those are re-treads, and rarely has someone ever adequately and accurately pointed out the ACTUAL shortcomings, and that includes some of the finest car mags.

I don't sleep with cars, and have never nor now been restricted only to Corvette. But let me assure, you driving a Cruze would not have me selling any of my Vettes, past or present.

The 370 is very nice, just not that nice for me.
Then again, I don't like a Cruze! So no epiphany would result.
Ferarri, maybe. Veyron, likely. Maybe even a 370, who knows. Perhaps one of those could point me in a new direction.
I do wish you enjoyment with the new car!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
So box wine refines one's taste for finer wine?
You did say CRUZE, Right?
As for your interior comments; those are re-treads, and rarely has someone ever adequately and accurately pointed out the ACTUAL shortcomings, and that includes some of the finest car mags.

I don't sleep with cars, and have never nor now been restricted only to Corvette. But let me assure, you driving a Cruze would not have me selling any of my Vettes, past or present.

The 370 is very nice, just not that nice for me.
Then again, I don't like a Cruze! So no epiphany would result.
Ferarri, maybe. Veyron, likely. Maybe even a 370, who knows. Perhaps one of those could point me in a new direction.
I do wish you enjoyment with the new car!

Marty
1FUNZR1

Go drive a Cruze. You might like seats that don't move as you take a corner, speakers that don't resonate the door-panels on mid-volume with no bass adjustment beyond mid-range, etc.

It woke me up to what I was missing out on, interior-wise.

I'm not saying the Cruze is the end-all, be-all, I'm just saying it tore my Z06's interior up 6 ways from Sunday, and is a much nicer car on the inside. I think for $75K--that ain't right.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people only appreciate raw acceleration - I feel for them

Cars that are more balanced are a joy to drive - and the police are everywhere

My taste in cars have evolved - I still yearn for a Corvette - but the interior is such a compromise I cannot get one

Next time go drive a Porsche - Cayman or Boxster
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Millenium 04
Some people only appreciate raw acceleration - I feel for them

Cars that are more balanced are a joy to drive - and the police are everywhere

My taste in cars have evolved - I still yearn for a Corvette - but the interior is such a compromise I cannot get one

Next time go drive a Porsche - Cayman or Boxster
I would have loved a Cayman S, but the 370z looks better to me, and costs only 3/5 as much. I know the Cayman is awesomely balanced, but the price and performance delta just didn't do it for me. I love my 370's interior. Cannot heap enough praise on that.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Nope, wrong guy. The 370z feels just like a c5 ls1 car from a 5moh roll in first, though. Not shabby.
Oh,my bad & I do remember you now. You asked a ton of questions before buying your Z06 & actually ruffled the feathers of a few guys with you inquisitiveness.

Enjoy your car,the way the 370 rev matches on downshifts is pretty sweet.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redzone
Oh,my bad & I do remember you now. You asked a ton of questions before buying your Z06 & actually ruffled the feathers of a few guys with you inquisitiveness.

Enjoy your car,the way the 370 rev matches on downshifts is pretty sweet.
Indeed. The Z06 was a great experience, but just not what I want in the end. Without owning it, though, I could not appreciate nicer (but slower) cars, because I would still be stuck in that "I NEED A SUPER FAST CAR TO HAVE FUN!" mode of ignorance.

Maybe it's just maturity. Who knows? I do know that I'm $500 a month closer to saving up for the land and house I want, and my move later this year, on top of everything.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Indeed. The Z06 was a great experience, but just not what I want in the end. Without owning it, though, I could not appreciate nicer (but slower) cars, because I would still be stuck in that "I NEED A SUPER FAST CAR TO HAVE FUN!" mode of ignorance.

Maybe it's just maturity. Who knows? I do know that I'm $500 a month closer to saving up for the land and house I want, and my move later this year, on top of everything.
"because I would still be stuck in that "I NEED A SUPER FAST CAR TO HAVE FUN!" mode of ignorance."
Really?

Yet you speak of the 370 keeping up with a C-5.
Perhaps you would have been less "ignorant", your word not mine, had you bought a Versa instead. It certainly would be slower, and you might be even less "stuck".
Maybe even as nice as a Cruze!
Going from a Vette to a 370 does not make a significant change in "your need for speed", so that seems a doubtful motivation.
You need no reason for a change if you just want change.
Who do you keep trying to convince?
Sounds like the $500.00 per month is the answer, and that would be the best one proferred so far.
That would convince most all.
So why not simply say that, as opposed to all of the other fluff, such as inferior speakers and seats, etc. Most Corvettes offer far, far more than simply speed, it's a shame it was not evident to you.
If we are going subjective, I don't like the interior of most all Japanese cars, save for some of the larger Lexus and Infiniti models, as everything is simply too small. Every control, ****, whatever you touch seems made for tiny folk. The cubic space in the 370 seems quite tight as opposed to the Corvette.
Might not bother some, but sure bothers others, regardless of it's supposed superiority in some subjective realm of quality. European cars have great "quality", but don't suffer from the small and cheap feel. A Cayman seems roomy compared to the 370. Heck, my C-4 seems roomy compared to the 370.
Ever drive a 2002?
An M5?
Even an SL.
You will feel the difference immediatly.
Saving $500.00 a month to use for an investment (land) as opposed to an expense (any car), is sound logic and a commendable, mature, good move.
If that all came about form a ride in a Cruze, then that indeed is great.
But stop with the buying then selling so fast. It simply is throwing money down the toilet. Keep this one until it costs you nothing per month, and you can pay cash for the next whatever. You could then have the 370 and a Cruze, or a 370 and an NSX or a Vette!
That's an even better move.
Good luck and most of all...
Enjoy the car!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I think part of being an enthusiast is sampling the field.

I LOVE car shopping with a purpose.

My daughter needed a new car so we went shopping yesterday. First car we drove was the new Cruze. I was very impressed with the fit and finish in the interior. I thought it had a nice solid ride and the engine even had a little sound to it under acceleration. She likes a center console armrest and Cruze sacrificed theirs to big cup holders so it lost out. Seemed like a really nice car for the money.
Civic rode like what it was, a super light, fuel efficient, low cost mode of transportation. Not much power, feel every bump.
The new Jetta was nice; better than the reviews indicate.
The Legacy sedan was the winner. Lot of great features, rode nice, she feels really secure with the AWD and the dealer offered it for a couple hundred dollars under invoice so he could move units before month end.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Just finished having everything but the doors, hatch, and rear-bumper wrapped in Ventureshield Ultra. Going to let it dry and pick her up Monday, then to the Tint shop for F1 Ceramic 30%.

Looks great. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM
SUPASTAR2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
April fools isnt for another month or so.
ROTFL
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had (now my daughter's car) a G35 and took it to corvette 'get together' (vette was down for some reason). They kinda snickered at it. I didn't really care. It is just as fast / handles just like a C5 coupe... only with nav, heated seats (and waaay more comfortable), better mileage, more room, and electric sunroof. It doesn't "replace" a corvette, but it is a dang nice/fun car to drive.
Congrats on the Z. It's a great looking, great performing car.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Todd157k
I had (now my daughter's car) a G35 and took it to corvette 'get together' (vette was down for some reason). They kinda snickered at it. I didn't really care. It is just as fast / handles just like a C5 coupe... only with nav, heated seats (and waaay more comfortable), better mileage, more room, and electric sunroof. It doesn't "replace" a corvette, but it is a dang nice/fun car to drive.
Congrats on the Z. It's a great looking, great performing car.
Pretty much how I saw it, with the 370Z/G37 just taking things a step up from the 350/G35. Thanks!

Loving it so far. Handling on the street, it feels more nimble than the Z06 did, sticks to the road very well and tight corners are more easily navigated. I find it much easier to place into the corner. It feels very similar suspension-wise to the base C6 I rode in, just a tiny bit stiffer. Really liking the live color weather radar, suede interior, etc. So far, not one ounce of buyer's remorse.

I will say though, for anyone considering a G/Z car, buy a catback at the time of purchase. It is dead silent. Berk CBE going on at 0730 in the morning, I worked it into the deal.

Last edited by BSSN; 02-29-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
"because I would still be stuck in that "I NEED A SUPER FAST CAR TO HAVE FUN!" mode of ignorance."
Really?

Yet you speak of the 370 keeping up with a C-5. I don't think either of these are "super fast", but your definition may differ from mine.
Perhaps you would have been less "ignorant", your word not mine, had you bought a Versa instead. It certainly would be slower, and you might be even less "stuck". ???
Maybe even as nice as a Cruze! I think my Z is nicer than the Cruze inside, actually.
Going from a Vette to a 370 does not make a significant change in "your need for speed", so that seems a doubtful motivation. 505bhp vs. 350bhp (after CBE) is a pretty big change, I think.
You need no reason for a change if you just want change. You're right, but they are very different cars. I figured someone might want an "okay...why?" answered.
Who do you keep trying to convince? Noone, just explaining. Read all of my other posts over the last few years. I enjoy documenting my experiences.
Sounds like the $500.00 per month is the answer, and that would be the best one proferred so far. That is a happy by-product, but if it was about money and not the car, I would have bought a used C6Z and came in even cheaper. Probably find a nice 2008 with more options than mine for what I payed for my 370Z. Not what I wanted--hence I sold mine.
That would convince most all.
So why not simply say that, as opposed to all of the other fluff, such as inferior speakers and seats, etc. Most Corvettes offer far, far more than simply speed, it's a shame it was not evident to you.
If we are going subjective, I don't like the interior of most all Japanese cars, save for some of the larger Lexus and Infiniti models, as everything is simply too small. Every control, ****, whatever you touch seems made for tiny folk. The cubic space in the 370 seems quite tight as opposed to the Corvette. I have not experienced this. Maybe I'm a tiny folk? (5'10.5"/180-185#)
Might not bother some, but sure bothers others, regardless of it's supposed superiority in some subjective realm of quality. European cars have great "quality", but don't suffer from the small and cheap feel. A Cayman seems roomy compared to the 370. Heck, my C-4 seems roomy compared to the 370. I like the quarters. It fits me fine.
Ever drive a 2002? Few friends had C5's.
An M5? No experience there, sadly.
Even an SL. I got a ride in an SL55AMG once. The woman who owned it traded her C5 in for it.
You will feel the difference immediatly. Having sat in most of those cars, there IS a difference. I agree with you, but I like both mindsets behind the interior design, so it's a moot point.
Saving $500.00 a month to use for an investment (land) as opposed to an expense (any car), is sound logic and a commendable, mature, good move. Yes, but had I liked the C6Z, I would have kept it and still done just fine attaining my goals. It would be paid off by the time my land was, and I would be in the same place as I will be regardless. After a year of it and going to Spring Mountain, I realized I was just wasting the money and getting nothing for it. Hence why I didn't buy a 2008 Z06 and keep "a Z06" but rather chose a better car, for ME.
If that all came about form a ride in a Cruze, then that indeed is great.
But stop with the buying then selling so fast. It simply is throwing money down the toilet. Keep this one until it costs you nothing per month, and you can pay cash for the next whatever. You could then have the 370 and a Cruze, or a 370 and an NSX or a Vette!
That's an even better move. Damn good advice and I plan on it. I just couldn't live with that car until I paid it off. It got older after a year. When the speed "wore off" on me, it was no fun at all.
Good luck and most of all...
Enjoy the car!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Thanks! So far, I am definitely enjoying.

Tint went on yesterday, exhaust goes on in the morning (my one complaint--it's QUIET!)

Last edited by BSSN; 02-29-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

To each their own... I'd never do it, but everyone is different...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the Z's and always have. If you get bored they modify quite well.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr turbo rotary
I like the Z's and always have. If you get bored they modify quite well.
Yep. Very solid platform for around 500whp reliably if I choose to go that route. However, it's very nicely balanced (brakes, traction, etc.) as it is.

Check this out:

370Z: http://youtu.be/zwvtYllqykg
Corvette Z06: http://youtu.be/2JoSB5_PF0Y

Surprised me. Like I said, I don't feel I gave up anything but track endurance (the Z06 has the requisite coolers, brakes, etc. to run longer HPDE's) and acceleration. For the trade, I gained a lot of creature comforts and a nicer vehicle.

Last edited by BSSN; 03-01-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced my z06

Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr turbo rotary
I like the Z's and always have.
While I personally would likely go with a Mustang GT 5.0 in that price range, the 370Z (the base model at least) is priced well in my opinion.
But even at that good pricing I'm really surprised they haven't sold better.

Check this out:

Corvette Z06: http://youtu.be/2JoSB5_PF0Y
I'm sure that you know this already but, those numbers for the Z06 have long since been FAR exceeded/bettered in private hands. More like 10.9@128+mph in the 1/4 mile and probably closer to 3.0 seconds flat in 0-60. The car is far more capable than some of those magazine tests have shown.
Of course the 370Z on a drag strip in private hands might run quicker than what was shown in that test as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. I can't see myself trading in my C6Z for any other car but I hear you on the interior.

As I'm getting older, I'm starting to appreciate things like a refined interior, heated steering wheel, etc. but one firm push of the accelerator on the Z and I quickly forget about them.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spicytuna
Wow. I can't see myself trading in my C6Z for any other car but I hear you on the interior.

As I'm getting older, I'm starting to appreciate things like a refined interior, heated steering wheel, etc. but one firm push of the accelerator on the Z and I quickly forget about them.
That's what I ran into. I was pushing the go-pedal to smile, and it just made no sense to me why I should have to. Figured at that price point, if all it did that made me smile was go fast, I had bought the wrong car.

Last edited by BSSN; 03-01-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Replaced my z06