Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ready To Buy: What do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Default Ready To Buy: What do you have?

I'm in the hunt for something fun. I'm willing to look at whatever you have. Preferably something with back seats. Nothing with high miles because I will be driving it often. Nothing with issues. Nothing that "needs" something. Max price of $40,000.
Examples:
'09 CTSV
SRT8 vehicles
'11-'12 5.0
'10-'11 GT500
Terminators
'68-'72 Chevelles

Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JJS04
I'm in the hunt for something fun. I'm willing to look at whatever you have. Preferably something with back seats. Nothing with high miles because I will be driving it often. Nothing with issues. Nothing that "needs" something. Max price of $40,000.
Examples:
'09 CTSV
SRT8 vehicles
'11-'12 5.0
'10-'11 GT500
Terminators
'68-'72 Chevelles

I test drove a 2012 SRT-8 392 Dodge Challenger. Has a great dampening suspension system that you can feel the difference. Lots of room inside. When driving it, and parking it, it didn't feel as big as it looks. Test drove the 6 spd. and it had toque to pin you to your seat.

Also test drove a 2012 5.0 Mustang GT 6 spd. and this is a very fast car and rev. happy engine. I would expect the ride would be more comfortable in the long run on the Challenger with much longer wheelbase because the Mustang still has that rear end live axle.
A new Mustang GT 5.0 will cost less than a new Challenger.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by LS WON
I test drove a 2012 SRT-8 392 Dodge Challenger. Has a great dampening suspension system that you can feel the difference. Lots of room inside. When driving it, and parking it, it didn't feel as big as it looks. Test drove the 6 spd. and it had toque to pin you to your seat.

Also test drove a 2012 5.0 Mustang GT 6 spd. and this is a very fast car and rev. happy engine. I would expect the ride would be more comfortable in the long run on the Challenger with much longer wheelbase because the Mustang still has that rear end live axle.
A new Mustang GT 5.0 will cost less than a new Challenger.
I really like both cars but I think that the Mustang is by far the best bang for your buck. The SRT8 does have quite a bit more room though but the price tag on those things are crazy high. I was just looking at 2012 5.0s with Brembos for only around $30k. The SRT8s are well into the $40s
Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I really like both cars but I think that the Mustang is by far the best bang for your buck. The SRT8 does have quite a bit more room though but the price tag on those things are crazy high. I was just looking at 2012 5.0s with Brembos for only around $30k. The SRT8s are well into the $40s
When comparing these two cars clearly the Mustang is the better buy and may even be better made I don't know much about Dodge but FORD has come a long way and really improved these Mustangs.
Even the V-6 Mustang can outrun some of those older 5.0 GT's and Consumer Reports gives this car a very high recommendation.
The Challenger got the highest satisfaction from it's owner's per Consumer Reports. Challenger also comes in a V-6, 5.7 liter, engine and the mighty SRT-8 392.
I expect the Challenger to be a luxury muscle car which will ride more comfortably especially since we have the worse roads here.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Don't forget if it means anything usually the hatchback on Mustang will be more noise inside compared to the sedan with a trunk like Challenger which is a big trunk.
Within the Challenger line the R/T got the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
DaGmen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my GT500: GT500 For Sale

PM me an offer, if you are interested.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 AM
LitiGATOR
Cruising

CTS-V, you'll love it.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LitiGATOR
CTS-V, you'll love it.
At $65,000+ I hope so.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by DaGmen
Check out my GT500: GT500 For Sale

PM me an offer, if you are interested.
Very nice car but out of my price range.

Originally Posted by LitiGATOR
CTS-V, you'll love it.
So what you are saying is that you know where one is for right around $40k?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Very nice car but out of my price range.

So what you are saying is that you know where one is for right around $40k?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget if it means anything usually the hatchback on Mustang will be more noise inside compared to the sedan with a trunk like Challenger which is a big trunk.
Within the Challenger line the R/T got the best bang for the buck.
Hatchback? A new 5.0 has a trunk just like a challenger. I had 2 2011 5.0's. A white stick car and and blue auto car. The new 5.0 Mustangs are great cars, I wouldnt hesitate to buy one. The Challenger will have a nicer ride but won't have the performance of the Mustang. I had a tune, cold air kit, and 18 inch drag radials and the white car went 12.1 @ 117.89 the one time I took it to the track.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by wazslow
Hatchback? A new 5.0 has a trunk just like a challenger. I had 2 2011 5.0's. A white stick car and and blue auto car. The new 5.0 Mustangs are great cars, I wouldnt hesitate to buy one. The Challenger will have a nicer ride but won't have the performance of the Mustang. I had a tune, cold air kit, and 18 inch drag radials and the white car went 12.1 @ 117.89 the one time I took it to the track.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

I glad to see you have all real cars in your list... no silly imports.
SRT8 AWD Jeep would be sweet.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by b.lee
I glad to see you have all real cars in your list... no silly imports.
SRT8 AWD Jeep would be sweet.
Yeah, I've been down the import road and once I reached a certain age it was almost like I "outgrew" them. The SRT8 Jeep would be great due to it being an SUV that has sports car like performance. The only downfall being that most get around 11MPG....ouch.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

The hatch is all of that heavy glass back there. Mustang is the car to get for performance and best bang for buck even got recommended by Consumer Reports. I test drove a new 5.0 and like that rev happy motor. Personally though for me I need something more comfortable and have owned an old 5.0 for over 23 years I ordered in 1987 so I need a break from these bumpy roads.
I'll give up some performance for comfort and isolation from these bad roads we have..
Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
wazslow
Racer

The hatch is all of that heavy glass back there. Mustang is the car to get for performance and best bang for buck even got recommended by Consumer Reports. I test drove a new 5.0 and like that rev happy motor. Personally though for me I need something more comfortable and have owned an old 5.0 for over 23 years I ordered in 1987 so I need a break from these bumpy roads.
I'll give up some performance for comfort and isolation from these bad roads we have..
But its not a hatchback car at all. The back glass would have to lift with the trunk in order to be a hatchback. I think the new ones ride pretty nice, although I certainly wouldnt turn down a new 6.4 liter SRT8 Challenger. The Camaro on the other hand, I wouldnt want if someone gave it to me.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

But its not a hatchback car at all. The back glass would have to lift with the trunk in order to be a hatchback. I think the new ones ride pretty nice, although I certainly wouldnt turn down a new 6.4 liter SRT8 Challenger. The Camaro on the other hand, I wouldnt want if someone gave it to me.
Really I don't care for the Camaro neither and don't think it will last. They didn't bring back Trans-AM-No more Pontiac. Visibility is terrible in Camaro. I drove an SS with Corvette engine in it back to back with base Corvette and you can really feel the difference. It just isn't about horsepower as these cars can have the same motor but are still just two different animals. Just like the now defunct GTO they came out in 2005 and were discontinued a few years later. It is not the same as driving a Corvette even though they both have same engines.

So then your seats fold down so you have access to the trunk?
The fox body mustangs had only 3 styles back then: Hatchback, Coupe (CHP Mustangs with trunks best body more rigid and has a trunk) and convertible. I have to say these cars are most durable and will last. I don't have to tip toe around driving it or parking it like the Corvette or worry about scraping driveways and curbs. They make better daily drivers.

Get notified of new replies

To Ready To Buy: What do you have?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
wazslow
Racer

Really I don't care for the Camaro neither and don't think it will last. They didn't bring back Trans-AM-No more Pontiac. Visibility is terrible in Camaro. I drove an SS with Corvette engine in it back to back with base Corvette and you can really feel the difference. It just isn't about horsepower as these cars can have the same motor but are still just two different animals. Just like the now defunct GTO they came out in 2005 and were discontinued a few years later. It is not the same as driving a Corvette even though they both have same engines.

So then your seats fold down so you have access to the trunk?
The fox body mustangs had only 3 styles back then: Hatchback, Coupe (CHP Mustangs with trunks best body more rigid and has a trunk) and convertible. I have to say these cars are most durable and will last. I don't have to tip toe around driving it or parking it like the Corvette or worry about scraping driveways and curbs. They make better daily drivers.
Yes, the Mustang seats fold down for access to the trunk. I know all about the fox body Mustangs. I had a couple of hatchback cars and low 8 sec 1/4 mile notch (coupe) and a mid 12 second convertable car. Here are a couple of pics. One of my 8 second notch and one of my low 9 sec hatch (crashed at the track when it broke the axles).

Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Yes, the Mustang seats fold down for access to the trunk. I know all about the fox body Mustangs. I had a couple of hatchback cars and low 8 sec 1/4 mile notch (coupe) and a mid 12 second convertable car. Here are a couple of pics. One of my 8 second notch and one of my low 9 sec hatch (crashed at the track when it broke the axles).

They made alot of these 5.0 Mustangs back in 1988 but now I don't see any on the road. The ones I do see are all banged up and even then I see less of those. What happened to them? Crashed in the rain or modded out?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM
wazslow
Racer

They made alot of these 5.0 Mustangs back in 1988 but now I don't see any on the road. The ones I do see are all banged up and even then I see less of those. What happened to them? Crashed in the rain or modded out?
I would imagine most have rusted away and fallen apart from being abused. They make great racecars and you see tons of them at the drag strips.

Quick Reply: Ready To Buy: What do you have?