Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2011-2012 WRX Sedan Anyone own one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
derty01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 2011-2012 WRX Sedan Anyone own one?

Just curious if anyone owns one? Looking to get some opinions on the car. Maybe getting rid of my 08 C6 3LT for one for a smaller monthly payment and looking in the near future of starting a family. If anyone has driven one or owns one I would love to hear your opinions on the car. I strictly would just use it as a DD.

Last edited by derty01; 05-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever buy one? I as well am looking at one but for me it's to get rid of my Jeep Wrangler for something a LOT more fun to drive that I can still fit my 3 kids in, and take it to the track once in a while when I don't take the C5.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Witt748
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had an 09 for almost 3 years, 09-10's are pretty similar to the newer ones, besides some cosmetic changes, not too much different.

It's a very good DD, fairly cheap, awd is great especially in the snow with a good set of tires, pretty fun to open up when you get a chance, and can get up to 27mpg's if I take it easy.

The 09 has a little more body roll than I'd like, pretty easy fix if I decide to spend any money it, but all my car money goes to the Z. I believe they stiffened the suspension up bit on the newer one. STI's are on another level handling wise.

Lots of pretty cheap performance parts out there, going stage 2 doesn't cost too much, and run high 12's in the 1/4.

Mechanically they run great. Build quality I would rate as average, (I'm coming from an S4, so my standards may be a little higher). The only problem I've had with the car is related to a really annoying squeaky clutch, which was actually the welds coming undone from the floorboard! The ****** dealership I bought the car from didn't want to cover it, but a 30 second call to cooperate took care of that, so I didn't have to pay for anything. This problem is apparently still occurring in the newer models, so just be aware of it. I get the feeling dealerships will only cover it if the customers complain enough.

So basically if you're not looking to get into EVO or STI $$$, the WRX is a real nice car. Take one for a test drive, you'll probably find it to be more of a car for the money than most other cars in its price range.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's funny is that a 4 cylinder car you have to baby to get 27mpg when in my C5 that's quite easy to achieve.

I'm looking at the 2011's and newer as I like the body styling a little more and their performance was increased then as well. The WRX and STI are very close to each other in performance but the STI has a lot more goodies like the diff control, LSD, bigger brakes etc. STI's are well out of my budget though.

My biggest fear is being so use to my C5 with the low rpm torque that I'll hate having to rev the engine to over 5K to get it to move. That is what drove me nuts about my S2000.

And 12's in the quarter with simple upgrades? Thats impressive.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Witt748
Pro

Yah Vettes are pretty impressive with their mpg, I know some 700rwhp blown C6's that get 30 mpg's!... Mine is a H/C Z with 600, and I usually get around 14mpgs so to me my wrx seems like a Prius .

I agree the 2011 and newer look better, but the performance of the 09 and 10's is identical to the newer ones . The only changes were wide body kit, wider wheels and tires, different exhaust, and some front suspension changes. 09's are 100 lbs less than the newer ones. Straight line performance is the same, cornering has a better feel on 11+, but I don't think the numbers are any different. So the performance wasn't really increased it just feels a little better, I know that sounds like a contradiction, but numbers are the same. Pretty much if you're going to track either ones you will need to make the same suspension upgrades. But I'm not trying to argue, I would get a 11+ too.

The WRX and STI might be similar performance on a straight, but the handling on the STI's put it in another category, not even close.

The boxer engine with the turbo will make more power lower in the rpms than an I4. If you find the WRX's power band in annoying you, tune it, they will make pretty good power and tq at around 3-3.5k. I'm not going to say that after driving my Vette that I am thrilled with the power and tq of the WRX, but it's all about perspectives.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Entropy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Zak77
What's funny is that a 4 cylinder car you have to baby to get 27mpg when in my C5 that's quite easy to achieve.

I'm looking at the 2011's and newer as I like the body styling a little more and their performance was increased then as well. The WRX and STI are very close to each other in performance but the STI has a lot more goodies like the diff control, LSD, bigger brakes etc. STI's are well out of my budget though.

My biggest fear is being so use to my C5 with the low rpm torque that I'll hate having to rev the engine to over 5K to get it to move. That is what drove me nuts about my S2000.

And 12's in the quarter with simple upgrades? Thats impressive.
My brother in law has a '12 sedan, and had a '02 before that.

They are easy to drive, and you don't have to drive it like you hate it to get it to move. 2.5L engine making 265+ hp it moves just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011-2012 WRX Sedan Anyone own one?

Quick Reply: 2011-2012 WRX Sedan Anyone own one?