Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Rat rods anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Broski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rat rods anyone?

So for some reason I've got the idea I want a rat rod.

I am thinking about selling my CTS-V and getting a cheap civic for a DD and start on a project one. I feel like they're a love em or hate em thing. I like some but haven't seen one I'd be happy with so I figure a project may be my best bet. I want to throw a LS motor in one. I'm 22, so I don't have too many responsibilities yet. But was curious if anyone has had experience with these things. My dad says I'll regret it.

Are they as fun as they seem? Even fresh builds, are they like anything that isn't stock and it's one problem after another? Just curious if it's worth selling a fun reliable car to mess with.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
HTWHLS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Broski
So for some reason I've got the idea I want a rat rod.

I am thinking about selling my CTS-V and getting a cheap civic for a DD and start on a project one. I feel like they're a love em or hate em thing. I like some but haven't seen one I'd be happy with so I figure a project may be my best bet. I want to throw a LS motor in one. I'm 22, so I don't have too many responsibilities yet. But was curious if anyone has had experience with these things. My dad says I'll regret it.

Are they as fun as they seem? Even fresh builds, are they like anything that isn't stock and it's one problem after another? Just curious if it's worth selling a fun reliable car to mess with.
Keep the caddy and scrape together some bucks to buy something low and do it. I'm looking at a 79 Impala, that I plan to add headers, cut coils and a flat black enamel job. Rat rods are fun and you don't have to worry about dings, scratches or dents. Do it!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Check this out. A good comparison of total opposites and pretty funny too.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Zeek
CF Superior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20,'21-'22-'23-'24
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Dont listen to your dad....these things are just a much fun as you think! Fast as hell and turns heads everywhere you go! I dont think I would go rat rod though. Although the term has different meanings to many. I found this body on ebay. Its an original 1926/27 Model T Ford coupe. I bought a custom frame and just started collecting parts. Its far from finished, but will be drivable very soon!

This started out to be a rat rod, but its turning out too nice to be degraded by calling it a rat rod. Click on the pic to hear it...

Last edited by Zeek; 10-30-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM
SeanHM
Instructor

Keep the CTS-V (you suck by the way) and start scraping up parts and pieces since that is what a rat really is. I understand your thought process, but I will say this based on my experience. As much fun as the Rat Rod will to you (and it will be hugely fun), 99% of the girls you'll meet will only think so for the first trip around the block. And they probably won't think that cheap Civic is too hot either. On the other hand you may have the perfect measuring stick to find the right woman. But then you won't be able to afford anything besides that Civic. Have fun
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Broski
Instructor

Haha awesome replies guys, thanks!

Zeek, beautiful rod!

You all make great points..

My V is an 04, so I'll probably just keep it for a couple years unless I get TOO ADD and need to switch it up. I'll probably drive it up to 100,000 miles or so. Which is a ways away. But might start collecting those parts.. Haha
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Fixed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vette is kind of a rat rod. Its flat black, and my interior isn't finished, since I have rebuilt it from salvage. There is no headliner, no rear plastics, the window tint is kinda jacked up, no upper windshield seal, the rear window seal needs replaced, the ABS/TCS stopped working, no A/C (till I can fix it),shiny exhaust tips. She has some new and old in her. It isn't your typical rat rod, but it is something that I built on my budget, and that captures the essence of the rat rod. Build it yourself on your budget.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I'm with the others; keep the V and do the rat rod project! I wish I had the garage space for one myself!!

Is your V1 stock?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
TC_1961
Instructor

Whatever you do, never go over to Jalopy Journal and post anything using the term..."rat rod".

I spent 12 months building a car that wasnt a rat rod as I had way too much money in it, and a traditional hotrod. Wasnt traditional though, and wasnt a rat.

Do some research and try and build yourself a true traditional style hotrod and it will not only be well recieved by real hotrodders but will be worth more money when you go to sell it.

I lost my *** on my frankenstein build. Great driver. All new components. But just wasnt "right" for what I wanted. Was a sweet 27 T sedan body, straight rail frame, MII front end, 350/T400 with a 9" and 1000 buck worth of whitewall radials. SOld it to a guy who saw me run 8.90's all day long at the drags. He didnt even test drive it. But, I just didnt like it, so it was gone.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixed
My vette is kind of a rat rod. Its flat black, and my interior isn't finished, since I have rebuilt it from salvage. There is no headliner, no rear plastics, the window tint is kinda jacked up, no upper windshield seal, the rear window seal needs replaced, the ABS/TCS stopped working, no A/C (till I can fix it),shiny exhaust tips. She has some new and old in her. It isn't your typical rat rod, but it is something that I built on my budget, and that captures the essence of the rat rod. Build it yourself on your budget.

Get notified of new replies

To Rat rods anyone?

Quick Reply: Rat rods anyone?