Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

need VIPER help gents..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM
flea_sly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need VIPER help gents..

ok I currently have a Z and I'm (possibly) looking at doing something about getting a Gen-4 viper. I know the new viper is coming out and what do you experts think will happen with the Gen-4 prices? What is the current market for the vipers and is the value dropping/increasing?

Is this a good deal bad deal I really like the color of it. What colors are good for resale?

http://www.greaterchicagomotors.com/...inois/4292492/

I just need some general advice pertaining to the Gen-4's and what they are doing.

thank you in advance.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 PM
chimazo
Burning Brakes

Venom Red was the most common '08 color. The tires on the car in the ad have already been replaced with non-stock rubber, btw.

PM AbsolutHank - he knows his stuff about Vipers.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 AM
flea_sly
Instructor

^^^^ thank you sir

I would like other opinions and options please.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Any long drives with the car? It's well known that Vipers are not comfortable, have heat issues in the cabin and no dead pedal when finished with the clutch on the highway. A/C also know not to keep up on hot days.

Having said all that, if only for short drives, etc, Vipers are a lot of fun
Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Any long drives with the car? It's well known that Vipers are not comfortable, have heat issues in the cabin and no dead pedal when finished with the clutch on the highway. A/C also know not to keep up on hot days.

Having said all that, if only for short drives, etc, Vipers are a lot of fun
Obviously you've never owned or probably even driven a Gen 4 Viper. I've owned one for 4 years. My Viper is comfortable for me. It's a hardcore sports car not a Cadillac. Earlier Vipers had heat issues but the Gen 4 a/c is ice cold and the cabin is very cold. It DOES have a dead pedal.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Obviously you've never owned or probably even driven a Gen 4 Viper. I've owned one for 4 years. My Viper is comfortable for me. It's a hardcore sports car not a Cadillac. Earlier Vipers had heat issues but the Gen 4 a/c is ice cold and the cabin is very cold. It DOES have a dead pedal.
Awesome, thanks for the assumptions And you caught me on the dead pedal

My Grand Sport is not comfortable either, but I do love it, just as Viper owners tend to love their cars.

So agree to disagree, what is comfortable and enjoyable to some, may NOT be for the general consensus. Hence, why I asked the OP a question about intended purpose.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

The cool thing about the Viper is its exclusivity. I may see 2 or 3 Lamborghinis or Ferraris every month, but I will only see a Viper once every few months.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
flea_sly
Instructor

I have driven a few Gen-3 vipers and everyone who says they are completely different from C6Z is correct. GM technology is more advanced and my Z handles way better than the Vipers I have driven (but never owned). I don't know if I would like a Viper or not, but I love the way they look and the low end torque.

Other than having more power from gen-3 to gen-4 is there any differences really, technology wise or anything?

Anymore information or experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

I have had a bunch of Vette including 3 C6, vert. Z06 and ZR1 (still have it). I have also had 3 Vipers, 99, 2002 GTS and just sold my 09 ACR, so I would say I have some seat time.

I love the ZR, top of the heap for C6 but the ACR is a monster.
As for the heat and comfort comments IMHO I would say that those people have not spent a great deal of time in a snake. True the 99 was somewhat crude, warm and a very stiff ride. The GTS was a nice upgrade all round solved the heat issues and a lot more comfortable. The GTS is my all around favorite for a variety of reasons but you are asking about the 08 so I will address my comments to it.

The gen 4 is by far the best of the snakes, no heat and very comfortable (I'm 6'1" and 210#) don't get me wrong it takes a little getting used to getting in and out. I just had the ACR up to Charlotte Motor Speedway for a Viper owners event in Sept. I live is SW Florida and drove it up there over 3 days and enjoyed every minute of the trip. I really liked flogging her on the Dragon but that is a whole other story . After the event my wife and I drove it none stop except for gas and food 14 hours home and when we got out we both commented how good we felt. We're not kids, I'm 61. The only thing that I do miss in them is none of them have cruise control.

I like the one you posted about and I think you could haggle them down some.

Now the big question, OK Van, if you are nuts about a Viper why did you dump the ACR? Good question, I thought I would keep it a long time, that was until I was at the Viper event and they unveiled the new Gen 5 and I got to drive one, holly smoke what a car. I plucked down my deposit on a new one the first day they took orders, should have it by June.

So here is what I think, go drive it, not just for a 10 minute demo but let them know you will need an hour or so in it. Be warned it is extreme, no computer or traction control. Go to a good driving school and learn how to drive it.

GTS

ACR

New GTS, going back to the Bumble Bee special yeller n black

Obligatory shot of the ZR

Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Bruce H.
Heel & Toe

Great post, Van...good to hear from someone who has owned and loved both brands. I'm on the fence and waiting to drive both the C7 and Gen 5. I haven't owned either in the past so completely open, and I expect slipping behind the wheel and a drive will make the decision clear. Comfort for driving to distant tracks is an important consideration, and I'm more confident now that both could be suitable. Do you think there's enough room for two soft overnight bags and a helmet bag in the back of the Gen 5?

Bruce
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Great post, Van...good to hear from someone who has owned and loved both brands. I'm on the fence and waiting to drive both the C7 and Gen 5. I haven't owned either in the past so completely open, and I expect slipping behind the wheel and a drive will make the decision clear. Comfort for driving to distant tracks is an important consideration, and I'm more confident now that both could be suitable. Do you think there's enough room for two soft overnight bags and a helmet bag in the back of the Gen 5?

Bruce
Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

having just came from an 02 6 spd that I had for 8 yrs let me tell you just go and do it. Most people repeat Bs that they hear over and over. I picked up a perfect gen 3 vert with under 4k miles and let me tell you it out handles the vette and its faster, a quick exhaust upgrade gets rid of the cabin heat but the gen 4's come factory w a better exhaust. You wont see many on the road which is what i like. Mid 60's id what youll pay for a sub 10k mile gen 4. ps do it!!!!! as far a s color get the color you like the best. as far as comfort, no problem here, they do have racing seats tho!!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruce H.

Bruce
I love Vipers as well as Vettes. Would love to own one day.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I had a Gen 4 ACR for 18 months....It depreciated almost $30K on a trade....it was an awesome car and I would do it again but if you're looking at in value terms I'm not so sure, especially with the Gen V coming out....
Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks good...but man is that interior sad...its worst then our vettes....

Great cars though.....good luck man
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
flea_sly
Instructor

Originally Posted by gilly6993
I had a Gen 4 ACR for 18 months....It depreciated almost $30K on a trade....it was an awesome car and I would do it again but if you're looking at in value terms I'm not so sure, especially with the Gen V coming out....
that is exactly what I'm worried about right now, If I pull the trigger and buy a Gen 4 and the new gen 5 comes out and I lose another 10k off the top gonna hurt a lot.

Originally Posted by mowe
Great cars though.....good luck man
I agree, the interior is ultra primitive compared to my Z (which isn't saying much lol). Interior is not that important to me though. I just want a change and maybe the viper will "strike my fancy", I've always wanted one just like I've always wanted a Z and now have owned.

Originally Posted by Capt Van
I have had a bunch of Vette including 3 C6, vert. Z06 and ZR1 (still have it). I have also had 3 Vipers, 99, 2002 GTS and just sold my 09 ACR, so I would say I have some seat time.

I love the ZR, top of the heap for C6 but the ACR is a monster.
As for the heat and comfort comments IMHO I would say that those people have not spent a great deal of time in a snake. True the 99 was somewhat crude, warm and a very stiff ride. The GTS was a nice upgrade all round solved the heat issues and a lot more comfortable. The GTS is my all around favorite for a variety of reasons but you are asking about the 08 so I will address my comments to it.

The gen 4 is by far the best of the snakes, no heat and very comfortable (I'm 6'1" and 210#) don't get me wrong it takes a little getting used to getting in and out. I just had the ACR up to Charlotte Motor Speedway for a Viper owners event in Sept. I live is SW Florida and drove it up there over 3 days and enjoyed every minute of the trip. I really liked flogging her on the Dragon but that is a whole other story . After the event my wife and I drove it none stop except for gas and food 14 hours home and when we got out we both commented how good we felt. We're not kids, I'm 61. The only thing that I do miss in them is none of them have cruise control.

I like the one you posted about and I think you could haggle them down some.

Now the big question, OK Van, if you are nuts about a Viper why did you dump the ACR? Good question, I thought I would keep it a long time, that was until I was at the Viper event and they unveiled the new Gen 5 and I got to drive one, holly smoke what a car. I plucked down my deposit on a new one the first day they took orders, should have it by June.

So here is what I think, go drive it, not just for a 10 minute demo but let them know you will need an hour or so in it. Be warned it is extreme, no computer or traction control. Go to a good driving school and learn how to drive it.

GTS

ACR

New GTS, going back to the Bumble Bee special yeller n black

Obligatory shot of the ZR

Thank you for the excellent post sir, you have a PM
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by mowe
Sorry to disagree but...not in this lifetime, Viper has it all over C5s and C6s

Get notified of new replies

To need VIPER help gents..

Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by gilly6993
True but I think they are stabilizing with all the hoopla about the Gen 5s there seems to be more interest in the used market.

BTW I sold my ACR on the first day I posted it for all the green asking,

I'm thinking the price on the one he is looking at might be within reason, depending on records.

Do not buy one that has been in any wreck!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

This is an awesome thread. I am looking into purchasing an ACR within the next few weeks
Nice to hear about them from actual owners.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM
flea_sly
Instructor

ok gentlemen, here are the links and carfax reports on the two vipers that I'm looking at. Tell me which one you think is a better buy with all the information being provided. Also would one of the cars color or rims be considered more desirable than the others, or easier for me to sell if I ever needed too? What would be a good deal price wise for them?

The car below is the blue 08'

http://www.greaterchicagomotors.com/...inois/6279905/

the car below is the red 08'

http://www.greaterchicagomotors.com/...JZ69ZX8V200981

thank you

Last edited by flea_sly; 03-19-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: need VIPER help gents..