Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Follow up to what a way to go out!! New video

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Default Follow up to what a way to go out!! New video

So about s week ago I posted a video of the zr1 abusing the new viper around laguna seca raceway. After a bit of tweeking viper came out with this TA model and it now holds the LS track record for a production car. Anyway heres the video. It was bound to happen but I was hoping the zr1 would hold onto the title a bit longer.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Congrats to them, but as they quoted the "big boss" of SRT.
They (SRT) were forced to build this car because of the beating they took from the "outgoing" ZR1. I am sure they are glad it beat the ZR1, but I am sure they secretly wished it was by more than 8/100ths of a second. Corvette doesn't have the luxury of playing games and rebuilding a car to make it better, they just come out with a nice fast street car and what ever time it posts, it posts.
Their chance to beat the Vipers time will only come when they are ready to unleash their monster L88? C7 version. I have no doubt they will arrive at the party ready and willing.
And since this will probably get moved to "other car" section where it belongs, I won't have to put up with the Viper "troll" fanboi Dans pathetic rants as I don't visit that section. Have fun down here in nowhere's land Dan.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically SRT was already going to build this car. The car the ZR1 beat was a pre-production mule. 8/100ths of a second isn't a lot, but it's enough to take the record from Team Corvette at least until the super C7s and ACR battle it out.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job to the Viper team, and they better enjoy it while they can.... GM is about to go on a war path once the C7 hit's production. Viper team had ALOT to prove due to losing to a nearly 5 year old car with "upgraded" tires.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
Great job to the Viper team, and they better enjoy it while they can.... GM is about to go on a war path once the C7 hit's production. Viper team had ALOT to prove due to losing to a nearly 5 year old car with "upgraded" tires.

So true.And on top of that a car that is no longer in production..

Either way it's a great job to Team SRT.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Hey Brooklyn exactly what I was saying but w/out the tires! Well it didn't take long the the snake to become the king again! GM will have its work cut out, this wasn't even the ACR with cups or CCB's! Way to go team SRT!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Johnny vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its The Same Story When You Beat Up A Bully..............
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

[QUOTE=Big Dan 427;1583397906]Hey Brooklyn exactly what I was saying but w/out the tires! Well it didn't take long the the snake to become the king again! GM will have its work cut out, this wasn't even the ACR with cups or CCB's! Way to go team SRT!!![/QUOTE]

They didn't change the tires, they just tweaked, the preproduction car that lost to the ZR1, as usual if corvette manages to beat viper, it doesn't last long. (SRT was dumb for sending preproduction units for testing, but that was on them, and irrelevant now)
Anyone who didn't expect this is blind, all the posts in the ZR1 section were moved to here , although all the old record times set by the ZR1(which seemed to last a few seconds) were left on at the time.
Even the title of this post doesn't hint anything about Viper

Sour grapes, I'm just glad current records are set by American cars

Regardless, its going to be at least 3 years until, corvette can compete with vipers again
Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice job Viper...

I still think the exterior design is less desirable than the the Gen IV.

BTW, Viper hasn't been American pride for 14 years. Daimler, then Fiat has filled those shoes...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

[QUOTE=NytmereZ;1583398559]
Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Hey Brooklyn exactly what I was saying but w/out the tires! Well it didn't take long the the snake to become the king again! GM will have its work cut out, this wasn't even the ACR with cups or CCB's! Way to go team SRT!!![/QUOTE]

They didn't change the tires, they just tweaked, the preproduction car that lost to the ZR1, as usual if corvette manages to beat viper, it doesn't last long. (SRT was dumb for sending preproduction units for testing, but that was on them, and irrelevant now)
Anyone who didn't expect this is blind, all the posts in the ZR1 section were moved to here , although all the old record times set by the ZR1(which seemed to last a few seconds) were left on at the time.

Regardless, its going to be at least 3 years until, corvette can compete with vipers again
Oh no I knew that they didn't change rubber, I said w/out tires but with bigger rotors and shock change/tweak. Exactly what we've said all along, I find it funny that all the threads are getting locked or moved here! Viper is back on top!!! And it's not even the top dog ACR, GM has some work to do for sure!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Now wait for the ACR to come out..

I am loving this rivalry. It is helping to push awesome cars out
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=NytmereZ;1583398559]
Hey Brooklyn exactly what I was saying but w/out the tires! Well it didn't take long the the snake to become the king again! GM will have its work cut out, this wasn't even the ACR with cups or CCB's! Way to go team SRT!!![/QUOTE]

It is amazing that the new Viper beat the ZR1 on those rain, street tires,and a 1:30 on slicks is just sick fast! Props to both cars though.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Big Dan 427;1583399461]
Originally Posted by NytmereZ

Oh no I knew that they didn't change rubber, I said w/out tires but with bigger rotors and shock change/tweak. Exactly what we've said all along, I find it funny that all the threads are getting locked or moved here! Viper is back on top!!! And it's not even the top dog ACR, GM has some work to do for sure!
Yea misread your post (my bad) ,I do find it funny on all the locked posts, talk about brand loyal, I love the C6 Z, haven't had my hands on the new Viper yet, but will always chose Viper over Corvette, owner experience alone is in such a different world.

The next ACR has been hinted by Ralf be FI and will rule whatever Chevy throws at them, the base is faster in a straight and in the curves , its 1996 all over again, viper dominance is back ( not that it ever went away for more than2 months each time corvette has outperformed it.

People should just be proud America has the two best sports cars, and one hell of a muscle cars in the 660hp Shelby cobra .
My procharged boss puts a huge smile on my face,next up on y bucket list is a GN with single digit capabilities .

One thing al these cars have in comom is that they are all USA cars
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=NytmereZ;1583401351]

Yea misread your post (my bad) ,I do find it funny on all the locked posts, talk about brand loyal, I love the C6 Z, haven't had my hands on the new Viper yet, but will always chose Viper over Corvette, owner experience alone is in such a different world.

The next ACR has been hinted by Ralf be FI and will rule whatever Chevy throws at them, the base is faster in a straight and in the curves , its 1996 all over again, viper dominance is back ( not that it ever went away for more than2 months each time corvette has outperformed it.

People should just be proud America has the two best sports cars, and one hell of a muscle cars in the 660hp Shelby cobra .
My procharged boss puts a huge smile on my face,next up on y bucket list is a GN with single digit capabilities .

One thing al these cars have in comom is that they are all USA cars
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool photos from the test. The new Viper looks badass in just about any color.

Press Release:

"Configured in-house by the Chrysler Group's SRT (Street and Racing Technology) team in collaboration with professional road racers, the exclusive, street-legal and single-spec 2014 SRT Viper TA (Time Attack) package is specifically built for the performance enthusiast driver who likes to exercise their machines at the more than 150 road-race courses around North America.

Less than one year since the long-awaited world debut of the new 2013 SRT Viper at the 2012 New York International Auto Show, the 2014 SRT Viper TA is set to make its public debut on the same show floor at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City.

Based on the SRT Viper model - the lightest vehicle in the lineup, the 2014 SRT Viper TA package builds upon the legendary on-track capability of the American hand-built supercar using a majority of pre-developed components straight from the SRT stable, that are combined into a carefully balanced package that extract the most out of the Viper ultralow center of gravity, 50/50 weight distribution and largest contact patch in the production car world.

"The new 2014 SRT Viper TA is being engineering for the dedicated track enthusiast, who still wants to drive to the track and take their hobby to the next level" said Ralph Gilles, President and CEO - SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. "We're re-launching some of the fastest production-built cars that people can buy straight from the factory. Our engineers revised the suspension settings to refocus the Viper specifically for track duty, using a blend of components from the GTS and the SRT models, add in the extensively developed aero package and the new Time Attack package is born. We're not only saluting the existing capabilities of our current models, we're also targeting another niche in our customer base with a tremendously capable track machine."

The suspension on the 2014 SRT Viper TA is uniquely tuned and upgraded specifically for on-track usage and to maximize the performance of the Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires which are mounted on ultra-lightweight, multi-spoke Sidewinder II wheels. A two-mode Bilstein Damptronic suspension system features firmer levels of damping and a smaller spread between modes than what is found on the current Viper GTS models.

Shock dampers, springs and road racing derived stabilizer bars have been retuned for optimal on-track performance. The standard aluminum structural X-brace is replaced with a lighter carbon fiber brace that effectively ties the four corners of the engine compartment together and contributes to the 50-percent increase in torsional rigidity and stiffness across the Viper lineup.

Based on the outstanding performance of the world-class brake system on the 2013 SRT Viper, SRT engineers are working in parallel with Brembo on a system that increases thermal capacity and optimizes heat dissipation providing improved extreme use. The brake calipers on the 2014 SRT Viper TA feature a black anodized finish with the Viper logo shown in Crusher Orange.

The unmistakable exterior of the SRT Viper TA features exclusive Crusher Orange paint with black 2D TA logos behind both front wheels, black Stryker logo on the front fascia and matte black, ultra-lightweight Sidewinder II wheels.

An advanced exterior aerodynamics package includes carbon fiber front splitters and rear spoiler, while a carbon fiber rear applique accentuates the rear width proportions and adds another level of detail.

Under the hood of the 2014 SRT Viper TA is the handcrafted, all-aluminum 8.4-liter, mid-front V-10 overhead-valve engine. Performance ratings are 640 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque - the most torque of any naturally aspirated sports-car engine in the world.

Inside, the performance driver-oriented cabin of the 2014 SRT Viper TA uses the same standard premium ballistic fabric racing seats from Sabelt, featuring a lightweight fiberglass shell created by a state-of-the-art resin transfer molding technology for mass reduction and long-term durability. Both driver and passenger seats can also accommodate a 3- or 6-point harness for racing belts.

The standard black interior combination includes unique Crusher Orange accent stitching on the cloth seats, instrument panel (through the cowl), center stack, console, pull brake, shifter boot, shifter head, steering wheel and upper doors.

Curb weight is an estimated 3,348 pounds.

Only 33 units of the 2014 SRT Viper TA in Crusher Orange will be built at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit, beginning in third quarter 2013."

Is that last sentence for real? Only 33 units will be built?
EDIT: 33 for 2013, with production into 2014 to be determined.

Last edited by Guibo; 03-19-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Corvette doesn't have the luxury of playing games and rebuilding a car to make it better, they just come out with a nice fast street car and what ever time it posts, it posts.
:
x2 Can you imagine the epic battles they would have if GM could do this? Congrats to the Viper and congrats to the ZR1 for making viper better and so on..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

That Viper looks great in orange.

Get notified of new replies

To Follow up to what a way to go out!! New video

Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guibo
Cool photos from the test. The new Viper looks badass in just about any color.

Press Release:

"Configured in-house by the Chrysler Group's SRT (Street and Racing Technology) team in collaboration with professional road racers, the exclusive, street-legal and single-spec 2014 SRT Viper TA (Time Attack) package is specifically built for the performance enthusiast driver who likes to exercise their machines at the more than 150 road-race courses around North America.

Less than one year since the long-awaited world debut of the new 2013 SRT Viper at the 2012 New York International Auto Show, the 2014 SRT Viper TA is set to make its public debut on the same show floor at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City.

Based on the SRT Viper model - the lightest vehicle in the lineup, the 2014 SRT Viper TA package builds upon the legendary on-track capability of the American hand-built supercar using a majority of pre-developed components straight from the SRT stable, that are combined into a carefully balanced package that extract the most out of the Viper ultralow center of gravity, 50/50 weight distribution and largest contact patch in the production car world.

"The new 2014 SRT Viper TA is being engineering for the dedicated track enthusiast, who still wants to drive to the track and take their hobby to the next level" said Ralph Gilles, President and CEO - SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. "We're re-launching some of the fastest production-built cars that people can buy straight from the factory. Our engineers revised the suspension settings to refocus the Viper specifically for track duty, using a blend of components from the GTS and the SRT models, add in the extensively developed aero package and the new Time Attack package is born. We're not only saluting the existing capabilities of our current models, we're also targeting another niche in our customer base with a tremendously capable track machine."

The suspension on the 2014 SRT Viper TA is uniquely tuned and upgraded specifically for on-track usage and to maximize the performance of the Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires which are mounted on ultra-lightweight, multi-spoke Sidewinder II wheels. A two-mode Bilstein Damptronic suspension system features firmer levels of damping and a smaller spread between modes than what is found on the current Viper GTS models.

Shock dampers, springs and road racing derived stabilizer bars have been retuned for optimal on-track performance. The standard aluminum structural X-brace is replaced with a lighter carbon fiber brace that effectively ties the four corners of the engine compartment together and contributes to the 50-percent increase in torsional rigidity and stiffness across the Viper lineup.

Based on the outstanding performance of the world-class brake system on the 2013 SRT Viper, SRT engineers are working in parallel with Brembo on a system that increases thermal capacity and optimizes heat dissipation providing improved extreme use. The brake calipers on the 2014 SRT Viper TA feature a black anodized finish with the Viper logo shown in Crusher Orange.

The unmistakable exterior of the SRT Viper TA features exclusive Crusher Orange paint with black 2D TA logos behind both front wheels, black Stryker logo on the front fascia and matte black, ultra-lightweight Sidewinder II wheels.

An advanced exterior aerodynamics package includes carbon fiber front splitters and rear spoiler, while a carbon fiber rear applique accentuates the rear width proportions and adds another level of detail.

Under the hood of the 2014 SRT Viper TA is the handcrafted, all-aluminum 8.4-liter, mid-front V-10 overhead-valve engine. Performance ratings are 640 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque - the most torque of any naturally aspirated sports-car engine in the world.

Inside, the performance driver-oriented cabin of the 2014 SRT Viper TA uses the same standard premium ballistic fabric racing seats from Sabelt, featuring a lightweight fiberglass shell created by a state-of-the-art resin transfer molding technology for mass reduction and long-term durability. Both driver and passenger seats can also accommodate a 3- or 6-point harness for racing belts.

The standard black interior combination includes unique Crusher Orange accent stitching on the cloth seats, instrument panel (through the cowl), center stack, console, pull brake, shifter boot, shifter head, steering wheel and upper doors.

Curb weight is an estimated 3,348 pounds.

Only 33 units of the 2014 SRT Viper TA in Crusher Orange will be built at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit, beginning in third quarter 2013."

Is that last sentence for real? Only 33 units will be built?
EDIT: 33 for 2013, with production into 2014 to be determined.
Only in that color.They will produce more and will be readily available.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
That is the orange that the corvette should have had, not that rust cobalt color it came with.

Vipers look gear in any color, but that true orange looks great, all it needs IMO is black stripes (every viper should have stripes )
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
The first 33 cars off the line and the only ones on sale in 2013 (around September) will be painted in the Crusher Orange color you see here, a play on the classic Mopar hue, Orange Crush (if you're wondering where they got 33 from, keep reading). Starting in 2014, SRT will sell you a TA in black or white..

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2NwFLfscq

Quick Reply: Follow up to what a way to go out!! New video