Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone know anything about 1996 viper gts being handmade etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about 1996 viper gts being handmade etc

i bought this 1996 viper gts. The hood is touching the headlight barely on one side when i close it. The passenger door looks funny the clear just slightly little goose bumps. Have to look extremely close to see. The owner i bought from says im a complete idiot thinking its been in a accident and says they are all handmade and have imperfections. What do you guys think.

Last edited by Just Cruise; 04-01-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Cruise
i bought this 1996 viper gts. The hood is touching the headlight barely on one side when i close it. The passenger door looks funny the clear just slightly little goose bumps. Have to look extremely close to see. The owner i bought from says im a complete idiot thinking its been in a accident and says they are all made and have imperfections. What do you guys think.
All viper are hand made, take the car to a place where thery know how to work on vipers, its an easy fix, you want it some right it's 15k for a new hood(unless you buy used) if it gets messed up

Last edited by NytmereZ; 04-02-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they hand painted too
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
All viper are hand made, take the. Also e place where thery know how to work on vipers, its an easy fix
Not necessarily, I bought a '00 SRT/10 that had the same problem as the OP's brand new off the showroom floor. After replacing every hinge & making every adjustment possible, they determined that the clamshell was ever so slightly warped. Back then it was a $15k fix & I played hell getting them to replace it.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 AM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they are not hand painted, but the panels are all painted seperately so it is normal to see small differences in clear and spray pattern from panel to panel. Im not familiar with that generation but a good viper place should be able to tell you whats what. i would never take the owners word for it, run your finger along the inner hood edge if its not smooth the hood has been redone, its not a 100% effective way but weeds out the quick respray jobs.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by o2z51
they are not hand painted, but the panels are all painted seperately so it is normal to see small differences in clear and spray pattern from panel to panel. Im not familiar with that generation but a good viper place should be able to tell you whats what. i would never take the owners word for it, run your finger along the inner hood edge if its not smooth the hood has been redone, its not a 100% effective way but weeds out the quick respray jobs.
You can see the difference in the rear panel , not anywhere else, but the paint job is fantastic in general .
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM
gcadby1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Just Cruise
Are they hand painted too
You should be able to feel an edge on the stripes. That is the way it was done. Most places that would repaint would make them smooth with the rest of the paint but it is actually a raised stripe.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gcadby1
You should be able to feel an edge on the stripes. That is the way it was done. Most places that would repaint would make them smooth with the rest of the paint but it is actually a raised stripe.
No all the gen 2's were painted stripes, this is fact, they changed the process on gen 3's, there is zero edge on my car(raised yes).

2nd owner 100% clean car, I actually was curious about the stripes and checked with the experts myself , 100% sure stripes were painted on gen 2's

The whole car is painted, stripes are then painted over, the car is then cleared

Last edited by NytmereZ; 04-02-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 PM
gcadby1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No all the gen 2's were painted stripes, this is fact, they changed the process on gen 3's, there is zero edge on my car(raised yes).

2nd owner 100% clean car, I actually was curious about the stripes and checked with the experts myself , 100% sure stripes were painted on gen 2's

The whole car is painted, stripes are then painted over, the car is then cleared
That is what I am saying! The stripes are definitly painted! But most new paint jobs you would not painted to where you can feel the raised stripe.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gcadby1
That is what I am saying! The stripes are definitly painted! But most new paint jobs you would not painted to where you can feel the raised stripe.
Sorry , my bad
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can see the difference in the rear panel , not anywhere else, but the paint job is fantastic in general .
well I know on the convertables gen 3 the rear section meaning both 1/4's were 1 piece and painted as 1 unit. so both 1/4's should have the same pattern on them.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by o2z51
well I know on the convertables gen 3 the rear section meaning both 1/4's were 1 piece and painted as 1 unit. so both 1/4's should have the same pattern on them.
It's different on gen 2's , they changed in gen 3/4 and now obviously in gen 5, one thing for sure , the paint jobs on all theses cars are superb, as it should be for such low production.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know anything about 1996 viper gts being handmade etc

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about 1996 viper gts being handmade etc