Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

04 Escalade 6.0 low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Z06_N_SD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Escalade 6.0 low oil pressure

Hey guys...yes I know, it's not a vette but my other vehicle has had low oil pressure at idle since I bought it. Long story short...it idles around 600 with under 5psi. It has roughly 80k miles on it. When I put my foot on the gas and bring it up to 800-1000 the warning/ding sound stops. I have always used mobil1 5w-30 and now I'm realizing I should probably kick it up to 15w-50 or just go with petroleum(no more synthetic). I put half a quart of that thick Lucas oil additive in it with no luck. Otherwise, it runs fine and no engine noise. Can I even adjust the idle screw? I didn't see one, or is it computer controlled only.
Do you think thicker oil will raise the psi enough to get rid of the annoying beep?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Thicker oil will just mask the issue and that Lucas stuff is crap. Do a search on low oil pressure in the forum and just diagnose the truck the same way. Use a mechanical gauge to confirm the dash reading. Is the valvetrain making a lot of noise? I would assume it would at just 5psi. At that pressure im not sure if its enough to float the crank. You may be looking at a serious bearing or oil pump issues so I would try not to drive it until I did a full diagnostic check.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

never seen an LS that low, I've replaced dozens of bad OPS's though.

Pull the motor, put LS3 heads on it and a nice cam, then swap it into the C5
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Z06_N_SD
Instructor

Thanks guys. Well what I've been doing is unplugging the sensor so I don't get the beep. Engine noise-nope, none. My wife drove it cross country From CA to VA. I've never had a problem with it. I also did do the manual reading and it is in fact low. Once it's given gas, it is fine. Not as high as the Z06, but it'll get up to about 30psi WOT.
Oil pump? Oil pressure bypass valve? Use thicker oil? I really don't think there is any internal engine problem. Although, you could say, with pressure that low-there must be a problem. I'm going to be selling it soon and I'd like to
Square away the issue before I pass it to someone else.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Z06_N_SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
never seen an LS that low, I've replaced dozens of bad OPS's though.

Pull the motor, put LS3 heads on it and a nice cam, then swap it into the C5
Haha....nice
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_N_SD
Thanks guys. Well what I've been doing is unplugging the sensor so I don't get the beep. Engine noise-nope, none. My wife drove it cross country From CA to VA. I've never had a problem with it. I also did do the manual reading and it is in fact low. Once it's given gas, it is fine. Not as high as the Z06, but it'll get up to about 30psi WOT.
Oil pump? Oil pressure bypass valve? Use thicker oil? I really don't think there is any internal engine problem. Although, you could say, with pressure that low-there must be a problem. I'm going to be selling it soon and I'd like to
Square away the issue before I pass it to someone else.
Maybe youre not too sure what noise to listen for because if it is indeed at 5psi then the lifters aint pumping up. These valvetrains are already noisy enough so most unexperienced owners might miss it. Imo, it sounds like a bearing issue. Usually when the pump bypase is stuck open you get 0 pressure unless maaaybe it gets stuck on n off but I doubt that. Most pump o ring issues ive seen are after install and the o ring is pinched. Rarely, in fact never, have i personally seen them fail on a seasoned motor. Looks like youll have to tear into it for sure. Just do the corvette community a favor and dont just put 20w50 in it and sell it without disclosure of the issue. Not saying you'd do that but it definitely happens.

Last edited by C5Natie; 04-17-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 04 Escalade 6.0 low oil pressure

Quick Reply: 04 Escalade 6.0 low oil pressure