Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Any Ferrari 328 owners, past or present?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Any Ferrari 328 owners, past or present?

Hi,

Lately, I've been getting the itch to buy a Ferrari 328. There is one mint, showroom condition '89 328 GTS for sale in my area and I got approval from my Mrs to go for it. However, I am very hesitant because of all the horror stories going around about bad reliability, iffy electronics and horrendous maintenance fees. I'm pretty sure that I can do most if not all of the required maintenance and repairs myself and I have a local contact who can supply parts. I've also been told by several Ferrari enthusiasts that 328's are a pretty good investment and will definitely increase in value. Their opinions are based on how well the Dino is doing. The 328 is the last of the Enzo Ferrari era cars based on the Dino layout.

So, I would like to here from anyone out there who presently has one or has owned one in the past. What are your thoughts? Should I pull the trigger? Are they really unreliable or is it simply internet myth? How easy are they to work on? Are there any show-stoppers (dealer only) as far as maintenance is concerned?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...not my thread but I sure enjoyed it when it first ran...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...5-308-gts.html

Bill
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Do it! I have an 89 328 GTS and love it. It is probably the most reliable Ferrari you can get. Maintenance is easy to do yourself and very simple to work on. Timing belts are even easy to do on our own if you want to. Very little electronics to go wrong. Very solid and reliable fuel injection system and ignition system. I see it as one of the last "vintage" Ferraris left. I love the lack of power steering and no traction control etc. it does have ABS but that is about it. The build quality is very solid and the feel of the car on the road is so tight and balanced. The engine loves to rev and the sound is awesome.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

The day I bought it.

Nice drive with the top off.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

pappy.72: Very nice car!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Pappy.72, that car is pure sex!!! I thank you for your comments.

You have reassured me and I am getting closer to pulling the trigger. I have one other question; I've heard that they need to be driven often to keep all the seals from leaking. This is probably true with most cars but how are the engine seals on this car? Any problems?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Pappy.72, that car is pure sex!!! I thank you for your comments.

You have reassured me and I am getting closer to pulling the trigger. I have one other question; I've heard that they need to be driven often to keep all the seals from leaking. This is probably true with most cars but how are the engine seals on this car? Any problems?
Yes, all cars need to be driven and these are no exception. I think if you find a Ferrari that doesn't have an oil leak than it is out of oil. Ha. Just kidding. Mine has a slight oil creep out of the valve cover on the front side of the engine but it is not an issue. I'm planning on just freshening up the gaskets one of these days. All the pan gaskets are easy to get to and are pretty common leak areas. The key areas to check are cam seals, fuel lines (for dry rot), distributor seals, oil pan of course, transfer pan, and valve covers. A good PPI (pre purchase inspection) is nice to get.

Have you been to Ferrarichat to check out their buyers guide? A good reference forum is gold as you probably know.

Also check out http://www.birdmanferrari.com/ to see some service procedures for the 308/328. Very easy to work on.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I drove a new 328 GTS for a full day back in 89 and it was a real eye opener. I had never driven such a precision piece of hardware in my life. I realized at that moment why people fork over the cash for a Ferrari. I also remember it was a chick magnet.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Tom@Zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get Service Records!
And read them before you buy if you can.
89's are the ones to aim for.
Unless the heads have to come off, most of the work can be done engine in.
Prices for parts used to change drastically depending on the availability.
I used to work on these, one month an ignition switch would be $800, three months later $3200.
But...if you know which Fiat uses the same switch....
Likewise, you can buy a waterpump, or you can rebuild it...
Like most older cars, there is a great deal of info out there.
But, it will leak oil somewhere, as noted.
If you can be patient, Stebro out of Canada makes a nice stainless exhaust.
Wonderful use-able Ferrari.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Ferrari 328 owners, past or present?

Quick Reply: Any Ferrari 328 owners, past or present?