Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Help Needed: Anyone with lifted truck advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
guyster05LBM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help Needed: Anyone with lifted truck advice?

I'm looking at a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi tomorrow. Attached is the craigslist ad for reference. I need a truck for the winter since I don't want to drive my C6 all winter. I know the usual things to look for with trucks, but don't have any previous experience with what suspension parts, etc to look at on lifted applications. Any advice is appreciated.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3924163081.html
Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Are you going to haul anything with it? I owned one lifted truck and it will be my last. It makes the box difficult to put anything in or out - then what's the point of a truck? Better off with something smaller, AWD for the winter and better on fuel.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

common sense type stuff really.....either a suspension, body or combo...this looks like a suspension lift. Looks pretty clean underneath...and the hole truck looks pretty clean. Front steering stabilziers...that is an added bonus along w exhaust and the voliant air box...some nice mods. Really just want to find out how long the lift has been on the truck and if it was off roaded much...for your own info. As stated....sometimes lifted trucks don't make the best tow vehicles..but a set of helper airbags can assist there. Just research the entire truck like you would anything else...car fax, inspect everything, solid history, main history, body/paint issues....etc.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM
guyster05LBM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the above advice. I'm not planning on towing anything so I should be okay there. I'm 6'2", so for loading stuff in the bed I should be okay, just looking for a nice cruiser and this truck has a clean carfax and owner history and the suspension lift was added within the last 10,000 miles.

I'll have to pay the price for gas I'm sure. I found out the 2500 3/4 tons with the Hemi's didn't have cylinder deactivation, so I expect around 11-12 mpg around town and slightly better on the highway. We don't get too much rough weather here like snow in the NW.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

just a thought....but you are in the ballpark price wise for getting into a nice old school 7.3 powerstroke 250/350. The are very nice and can be found pretty clean for in the teens....they are very strong...good tow vehicles....do everything pretty well and are decent on fuel. Something to consider. I picked up an '02 7.3 crew cab long bed...and am very happy w it for the $$ spent.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Needed: Anyone with lifted truck advice?